Join our zoo community

ZooChat Exhibit Design Competition #1

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by jbnbsn99, 10 Aug 2015.

1. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

It's high time we have a proper exhibit design challenge. I will be the judge of this contest with input from the other moderators.

Here are the rules.

1. Each design must include detailed drawings/sketches/layouts for the exhibit.
    2. Exhibit specifics, other than those detailed here, may be determined by the individual designer.
    3. A full write-up of the exhibit must be presented.
    4. Exhibits will be rated and ranked on specific, measurable criteria.
    5. Only one submission per user (first submission is final).

Specifics for the first challenge.

1. Your zoo has 10 acres that they would like to devote to a new exhibit complex. The zoo has given a call for ideas and designs for how best to utilize this space.
    2. Exhibit must meet minimum criteria for housing the species chosen.
    3. Exhibit must have housing and off-exhibit space for all animals.
    4. Exhibit must include ample visitor space and amenities (food, restrooms, etc.)
    5. Exhibit must include interpretive elements.
    6. Write up of the exhibit must include specifics of exhibit, building, and yard size.
    7. Attention must be given to landscaping and horticulture

Scoring Guide (0-100)
    0-20 points - Design (images, sketches, etc)
    0-20 points - write up
    0-20 points - animal needs (exhibits, housing, etc.)
    0-20 points - visitor needs
    0-10 points - landscaping
    0-10 points - interpretation

Images from ZooTycoon will not be accepted.
    Exhibit designs without actual designs will be disqualified.
    Competition will be exactly one month. Final submissions will be due on September 10th.

2. BedildaSue

BedildaSue Well-Known Member

Do species have to be common in zoos, plausible in zoos, or simply extant?

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Do we need to specify number of individuals for every species, or number of individuals in mixed-species exhibits like a walk-through aviary?

Also, do we need to include off-exhibit space for all indoor animals, like small herps and free-flying birds?

4. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I only have two questions:

1) If you have slightly changed a design that has previously been posted in one of the exhibit design forums, are you allowed to re-submit that, or do you want completely original ideas?

2) Does the entire design have to be uploaded straight onto the thread here or could you, say, do your design as a PDF and upload that (I was thinking it may save space on the thread)?

5. 11jadaway

11jadaway Well-Known Member

Will you accept images from minecraft seen as one block could be considered 1 m2?

6. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Finally. A thread where people actually have to do work and invest time rather than list animals. Look forward to the ideas. Thanks, jb. :)

7. jbnbsn99

Let's work with plausible in zoos. No species that are simply off limits (mountain gorilla, blue whale, etc.).

8. jbnbsn99

No. Species counts for animals in aviaries/terrariums do not need to be specified.

If the animal requires special holding/off-exhibit space, then you must include it.

9. jbnbsn99

As long as it meets the criteria, then your fine.

A pdf is fine.

10. jbnbsn99

No minecraft.

11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to an actual exhibit design thread, well done. Can't wait to participate! Although I will have to sit out this first one...too busy.

12. jbnbsn99

Now Drew could make things very difficult!

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I appreciate the confidence but no worries, I won't be doing any fancy computer generated renderings or anything, just simple hand sketches. Also I don't want to give away all my best ideas, lol. I have seen some really creative and well-thought out ideas on here I am just looking forward to seeing those ideas come to life through sketches.

I think it would be worthwhile considering having more design parameters (i,e,- a specific site with opportunities and constraints, a more clearly defined scope, ect.). Having 10 acres to do anything you want with unlimited budget is extremely hard because there is hardly anything to help inform your decisions! For example, maybe taking the new African project that your local Fort Worth Zoo is going to embark on and turning it into a contest. Just a thought though.....

14. jbnbsn99

I think we have a candidate for exhibit 2. :)

15. 11jadaway

Are Bornean Elephants allowed?

16. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They should be. There is one at the Oregon Zoo in Portland, Oregon.

17. jbnbsn99

I'll say yes to Bornean Elephants.

18. 11jadaway

Gajah Elephant Reserve

Description

The Gajah Elephant Reserve is a roughly 4 acre exhibit which holds species such as Sambar Deer, Borneo Shark and the smallest elephant in the world, the Borneo Elephant. The reserve is based on the Northern region of Borneo, Sabah. It will be an immersive exhibit which aims to educate visitors on the danger posed to animals in Sabah by poachers and deforestation.

Map

http://i.imgur.com/ewRW35B.jpg

Measurements- Square metres

http://i.imgur.com/uXOVke2.png

Animals

There is 3 species of animals in the Gajah Elephant Reserve.
    Borneo Elephant- 1.4.0
    Sambar Deer- 2.4.0
    Borneo Shark- 2.0.0

Borneo Elephants

There will be two enclosures for the elephants: One for the bull and another for the herd.
    The bull can enter the herd enclosure at specific times chosen by the zoos keepers.
    There are enrichment trees within the enclosure for the elephants to use. Balls with peanuts, or other foods, inside can be hung up on the tree so that the elephants can attempt to break them open.
    There is a kitchen and research room in both houses.
    The herd’s house will have a large pool that visitors can see them swim in through a large window.
    The bull’s house is separate and has no visitor areas.
    The bull enclosure cannot be seen by visitors.
    The visitors are separated from the elephants by a low wall and a gentle sloping trench.
    There is under floor heating inside both houses.
    The bull enclosure is about 2,848 square metres.
    The bull house is about 704 square metres.
    The herd’s house will have a large pool that visitors can see them swim in through a large window.
    The bull’s house is separate and has no visitor areas.
    The bull enclosure cannot be seen by visitors.
    The visitors are separated from the elephants by a low wall and a gentle sloping trench.
    There is under floor heating inside both houses.
    There will be shelters for the elephants outside as well.
    The bull enclosure is about 2,848 square metres.
    The bull house is about 704 square metres.

Sambar Deer

The visitors are separated from the deer by a low wall and a gentle sloping trench.
    The boundary surrounding the enclosure is a 5m tall metal fence.
    There is a pool in the enclosure.
    The substrate in the enclosure is grass and dirt.
    The substrate inside the house is mainly hay.
    There is under floor heating inside the house.
    There is a kitchen in the house.
    There are 6 deer in the enclosure, 2 males and 4 females.
    The enclosure is about 1,664 square metres.
    The house is about 192 square metres.

Borneo Sharks

There are two aquariums for the sharks, one in each.
    There are 2 sharks in the aquariums, 2 males.
    The aquariums are salt water and have filters round the back of them. Staff can easily access them.
    There is a small coral formation inside both aquariums.
    The tanks are heated to a perfect temperature for the sharks.
    Each tank is about 48 square metres.

Visitors

Benches will be dotted round the exhibit for visitors.
    Educational signs will be put up explaining the importance of conservation, talking about the region of Sabah and also information about each animal at the reserve.
    Food and toy stalls will be put up for visitors.
    Visitors can see the elephants from the inside and can even see them swim.
    Visitors can stay inside the main building while there is bad weather.
    Educational talks will be given by staff.
    Experiences can be bought so that visitors can go behind the scenes and go inside all of the buildings and get an opportunity to feed an elephant.

Staff

Staff will be in a Borneo-style uniform to add to the immersion of the exhibit.
    There will be 12 keepers on staff at all times, 8 for the elephants, 3 for the deer and 1 for the sharks.
    There is a kitchen in every building and a research centre in the herd building.
    There will be a team of 3 researchers on staff who will research elephant behaviour and visitor behaviour.
    Training fences will be inside all the buildings for the elephants and deer. All gates are hydraulic and are operated from the research centre. There are also cameras for the exhibit which have night vision.

Landscaping

There will be a few hills in both elephant enclosures. As well as a pool in each.
    There will be a few hills in the deer enclosure. As well as a pool.
    The visitor pathway will be made up of gravel and pebbles.
    The staff pathways will be made up of gravel.
    The flooring inside the buildings, for humans, are stone tiles, made to look like gravel.
    The buildings will be styled to look like typical South-East Asian houses, however larger and far more secure.
    The low walls separating the visitors from the animals will be white with red wavy lines running through it.
    The only tree species in the exhibit will be Earleaf Acacia, Acacia auriculiformis.
    The outside exhibits will have lots of grass.

19. jbnbsn99

Grade:

Design (0-20) 10
    Write-up (0-20) 12
    Animal needs (0-20) 12
    Visitor Needs (0-20) 5
    Landscaping (0-10) 3
    Interpretation (0-10) 2

First issue, you've only used 4.8 of your required 10 acres. You left half of the available space unused.

Second. You only have three species present, one, the Borneo Shark does not appear to be present in any collection and would not be available for the collection.

Third. You've wasted cost by building two separate elephant barns. This raises the cost significantly and wastes space.

Fourth. One of your exhibits is not visible by guests. While it may seem a good idea, it can be frustrating to visitors.

Fifth. You have no visitor amenities. In fact, your choice of a gravel/pebble pathway for visitors would not be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (i.e., it would not be accessible to people in wheelchairs).

Sixth. You make mention of keeper areas, but you have shown none on the map save for a keeper walkway on the map.

Seventh. Your choice of landscaping is more appropriate for a savanna species rather than a rain forest one.

Eighth. What happens to the sharks on the days the shark keeper is off? (Also, exhibit designer has no say in keeper uniform.)

Animal space is adequate.

44 out of 100.

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

but the zoo is in Borneo, not America....

Question for 11jadaway, why do you have heated houses for the deer and elephants if the zoo is in Sabah? It is the animal's native range, and it isn't exactly cold there anyway.

EDIT: oh wait, I interpreted "The reserve is based on the Northern region of Borneo, Sabah" to mean the zoo is "based in" Sabah but I may have got that wrong? If so, disregard my earlier comments :p