Join our zoo community

ZooChat Exhibit Design Competition #2

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by jbnbsn99, 11 Sep 2015.

1. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Well done all in the first competition. Here is round two. Stakes are higher, and now we have to be specific.

Round 1 was a free-for-all. This time, we have a zoo with a specific site plan and a specific need.

The zoo has requested a West African exhibit that features some of the animals already in their collection. Animals required in the exhibit are:

3.7.0 Western Chimpanzee
    1.2.0 or 1.1.1 Pygmy Hippo
    2.2 Mona Monkey
    2.2 Diana Monkey
    1.2 Western Slender-Snouted Crocodile
    1.1.2 Yellow-Backed Duiker

In addition, the zoo would like to house several other species. Mixed species exhibits, where possible are desirable. The zoo is allowed to import up to 2 species from outside of the home country (your own country in this case) and 2 species from the wild. (I.e., if you are within the AZA, then you are allowed to import 2 species from the EAZA and visa versa.) Species imported from the wild must have a conservation need for importation. All other species must be available within the home countries collections. The zoo wishes to house multiple smaller species within the exhibit, including many bird species.

All species must come from within the circled region on the map of Africa. (See attached image.)

The zoo has requested that there be some form of event facility here for meetings, dinners, and education. Minimum size needs to be 2,000 sq. ft. of event space (does not count other facilities - restrooms, storage, etc.).

The zoo has also requested that no signs be visible in the exhibit. Therefore, alternative interpretation methods must be designed into the exhibit.

The zoo has requested that there must be some overarching, culturally-sensitive, geographically appropriate, and conservation minded theme to the exhibit.

There is a busy street on the outside of the north and northwest perimeter of the exhibit. The design must take this into account from both a visual and aural perspective.

The total space for the exhibit is 4.7 acres, but this includes a steep-walled creek that runs though the exhibit. The zoo would like to incorporate the creek into the exhibit design. However, environmental needs dictate that the water leaving the zoo must go through a filtration system so that no animal waste enters the local water supply.

The site is located in an unused area of the zoo's property. It is densely wooded with several large hardwood trees.

This time, you will have two chances to submit. Chance one is for evaluation and critique. Critique will come not only from me, but from anyone on the forum who cares to make comments. Chance two is the final submission.

Grading (new system)

0-20 - Theme (0 is no theme at all; 20 is a fully thought out, functional, appropriate, and exciting theme)

0-20 - Animal collection (All contestants start at a 10. Negative points for animals left out, not appropriate to the collection, or from outside of the range. Positive points for additional appropriate animals properly sourced.)

0-20 - Keeper and housing requirements (0 no keeper/housing; 20 keeper areas and housing requirements are fully met, functional, and accessible)

0-20 - Exhibits (0 exhibits do not appear on design; 20 exhibits are well designed for the animal needs and for visitor viewing)

0-20 - Visitor experience (0 visitors not able to see animals or meet basic needs; 20 visitor walks away from exhibit feeling a sense of "wow")

0-20 - Zoo's requested requirements/needs (0 - none of the zoo's requirements are met; 20 - all requirements are met and well designed into the exhibit)

0-20 - Write-up (0 no write-up present; 20 write-up well written, includes all needed information, presented clearly and succinctly)

0-20 Landscape design (0 no landscape information given; 20 - detailed information on existing plants and what will be planted in exhibits and in landscape/garden areas)

0-20 Interpretation/conservation (0 no interpretation or conservation message; 20 visitor leaves knowing more about West Africa, the animals there, why they should care about them, and what they can do)

A map with some detailed information is provided. This is the layout that is to be used. Designs may be based on this layout and done by hand, or I can provide the file from SketchUp that I used to create the layout (PM me for details).

Attached Files:

Last edited: 12 Sep 2015
  2. jbnbsn99

Since this challenge is more involved, there will be a longer time frame. Two months to finish everything (including both submissions - review and final).

Final submission will be on November 12th.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Approximately how many people should the event facility accommodate, or put otherwise, minimum footprint?

4. jbnbsn99

Good call. Let me add that in.

5. 11jadaway

11jadaway Well-Known Member

Interesting, I shall try my best!

6. 11jadaway

What if one of the required animal species is not in any zoos within my country?

7. jbnbsn99

Go ahead and design the exhibit for them (duikers I assume).

8. jbnbsn99

9. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

Sorry, this is a multi-question post;
    1. If I am reading this right, we are building this exhibit area in our own country/region. For those of us with colder climates, Canada for myself, specifically Toronto, Ontario, are pavilions allowed otherwise all of the species will not be visible for roughly half the year.

2.Do you have a resource to see which species are kept within our own country?

3. Some Canadian zoo's are or were AZA, does that mean I would be AZA or should I stick to CAZA?

4. If yes to the pavilion, can we enclose the river in the pavilion if we filter it when it enters and leaves the pavilion?

5. Also, can we reroute the river as long as it gets to the original start and exit?

Thank you for the clarification.

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

This is a real challenge. A challenging site, tight space, many requirements. Very "real world." I want to encourage those who participate: you have your work cut out for you.

Another real world fact to consider: how many visitors does this zoo have and so, how wide do the paths need to be?

11. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Very interesting challenge!

Couple of quick questions:
    You say "you are allowed to import up to 2 species from outside your home country" and then you say "if you are within the AZA, then you are allowed to import 2 species from the EAZA and visa versa" so just to clarify for those in Europe, is it if you are in an EAZA country then is it two species from outside the EAZA and you can use as many species as you like from within the EAZA or do you have to stick to species from within your country within Europe (i.e. Poland in my case) and species from within the EAZA but outside of your country count within the 2?

Also, when you say no signs do you mean no signs for the interpretation and we can have the regular signs saying what the animal is or no signs at all and we have to think of some other way of telling the visitor what the animal is?

12. jbnbsn99

1. If your exhibit is in Canada, then you will have to design it accordingly so that the animals can be seen year-round.

2. Best sources are Google and ZooChat :: Zoo and Animal Conservation Community

3. Species will need to gotten legally and ethically. Zoos are allowed to work with private facilities. If the particular zoo is not AZA, then there will be restrictions for some SSP animals.

4. Yes, but not practical.

5. No.

13. jbnbsn99

Good questions. Let's assume a larger attendance zoo (500,000 plus).

I think a good minimum pathway would be about 6 feet (1.8 meters).

14. jbnbsn99

I think it's safe to assume the EAZA as one functional unit.

No animal signs at all.

15. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

Thanks. If said zoo is AZA, are animals in USA fair game? Or stick to Canada, either public or private?

16. jbnbsn99

That's a question you'll have to answer yourself.

17. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Three other questions I might have would be:

1. What is the assumed budget (in terms of tight, modest, or generous)

2. Is there a flood zone to contend with from the creek?

3. What is the land use on the other sides of the site? (Zoo service area, perimeter fence, another exhibit, public housing, i.e.) Besides the road, and the desired entry from the bottom.

18. jbnbsn99

Let's assume generous budget for this round.

Floods are minimal. Rising water level is only. ~10 foot banks

Other exhibit areas.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2015
  19. 11jadaway

Exhibit Name: The 'River of Return'

West African Exhibit - The 'River of Return'

This exhibit will be based on the Volta River region that flows through both Ghana and Burkina Faso in West Africa. The Volta River is nicknamed the 'River of Return' as this is where Portuguese gold traders turned around to travel back to Portugal. This is also why the river is called Volta, as Volta is Portuguese for twist. The animal enclosure will be split into 3 areas: Carnivores in the North West, Herbivores in the South and Primates in the East.

Map: http://i.imgur.com/1JqpMZF.jpg

Exhibit Size: 4.7 acres

-Total Land Area: 178,985 sq.ft.
    70% Animals
    25% Visitors
    5% Keepers

-Total Water Area: 28,920 sq.ft.

Complete Species List:

-Mammals - 13 species
    Western Chimpanzee 3.7.0 EN
    Mona Monkey 2.2.0 LC
    Diana Monkey 2.2.0 VU
    West African Red Colobus 1.2.0 EN, imported from Ghana for captive breeding program
    Olive Baboon 3.5.0 LC
    Rock Hyrax 2.3.1 LC
    Pygmy Hippo 1.2.0 EN
    Western Dwarf Buffalo (Forest Buffalo) 1.1.0 LC
    Yellow Backed Duiker 1.1.2 LC
    Bushbuck 1.3.0 LC, imported from Gladys Porter Zoo, USA
    Western Hartebeest 1.4.1 NT, imported from Burkina Faso for captive breeding program
    African Wild Dog 2.3.0 EN
    Striped Hyena 1.1.0 NT

-Reptiles - 3 species
    Bell's Hinge-Back Tortoise 1.2.1 LC, found in aviary
    Home's Hinge-Back Tortoise 2.1.1 VU, found in aviary
    Western Slender-Snouted Crocodile 1.2.0 CR

-Birds - 5 species (all found in aviary)
    Hamerkop 1.1.0 LC
    Sacred Ibis 4.3.2 LC
    Namaqua Dove 3.3.1 LC
    Violet Turaco 2.4.0 LC
    Grey Headed Kingfisher 1.1.1 LC

Total Species: 21

Total Animals: 99
    61 Mammals
    11 Reptiles
    27 Birds

Keeper Facilities:

-There are indoor areas for all animals where keepers can enter and manage them. Each of these houses will have kitchens and research areas for keepers to operate. There is also off-show yards for some animals that keepers can operate.

- In the 'Volta Station' building there is a storage room for animal food, enrichment items and tools to be used by keepers. There are also keeper toilets in the building.

-There is a filtration system at the South West of the exhibit in the creek to stop animal waste flowing downstream.

-Staff pathways will be made out of ordinary concrete.

Visitor Facilities:

-In the main area, near the entrance, there is a large building called the 'Volta Station'. It has 2 floors. The ground floor is dedicated to a cafe and shop for visitors as well as toilets for visitors and keeper facilities. The top floor will have 2 meeting rooms for events and birthday parties. It will also have a museum area that will showcase the history of the Volta River region and also extinct animal skeletons (such as Magalotragus, Sivatherium, Homotherium, Pelorovis e.t.c.).

-The main area can also play host to events/festivals. Stalls will be set up, most of the time, to mimic a typical African marketplace. They can be taken down when needed to be.

-Toilets are located to the South East of the Main area.

-Bridges will allow visitors to cross the creek when necessary.

-Visitors can enter the walk-through aviary but are expected to keep quiet.

-Visitors cannot enter any animal house, unless they have paid for an animal experience.

-Some pathways are covered in case it there is bad weather.

-Visitor pathways will be made out of rose-colored concrete.

Animal Facilities:

-Every animal has access to indoor areas. This is so they can have some privacy. They are usually weighed, given medication and rest inside their house. Some animals have access to off-show yards.

-There will be lots of enrichment in each exhibit. For example, in the chimp enclosure there are food scatterers, artificial termite mounds for feeding and a large climbing tree structure.

-Pygmy Hippos have access to the creek and can swim in it. All other enclosure are separated from it by a low electric fence.It poses no danger to the animals lives yet stops them from escaping into the creek.

-All primates are separated from visitors by a moat surrounded by a low electric fence. However for some primate species (Mona Monkey, Diana Monkey and West African Red Colobus) there is a very tall fence round the back of the enclosure. All other animals are separated from visitors by a deep gentle sloping trench and, round the back of some enclosures, a very tall fence.

-There will be pools in some enclosures.

Interpretation

-Instead of signs around the exhibit there will instead be either a tour guide who will give information or electrical speakers that will give information. Speakers will be hidden around the exhibit by foliage.

-There will be lots of plants around the exhibit to mimic the rainforests that cover 1/3 of Ghana. There will be a lot of trees around the North/North West area of the exhibit to cover up views of the busy street behind there.

-Many of the hardwood trees that were part of this land will remain there as there are large hardwood forests surrounding the Volta River.

-Will educate people on the Volta regions history, geography and the need to stop mass deforestation in Ghana and Burkina Faso.

-Visitors will have the opportunity to buy animal experiences in the exhibit, such as:
    Chimp feeding experience (12 and above)
    Zookeeper for a day (16 and above)
    Child's zookeeper for a day (10-16, must be accompanied by an adult)
    Carnivore experience (16 and above)
    Primate experience (16 and above)
    Herbivore experience (16 and above)

Plants

-Trees
    African Mahogany
    Cedar
    Giant Silk Cotton
    Ceiba Pentandra
    Burkea Africana
    Isoberlinia Doka

-Adonidia

-Mangifera

-Murraya Paniculata

-All enclosures will be quite grassy.

Architecture

-All buildings will be styled to look like that of a rural African hut, yet of course larger and more stable.

-All buildings will have indoor heating and plumbing.

-Materials
    Concrete
    Thatch
    Steel beams
    Paint
    Glass
    Mud (for authentic look, only on outside)

Conservation

-Funds will be raised to help stop deforestation in West Africa and to help endangered animals there.

-Funds will also be raised to support locals in West Africa.

I hope this design of mine is better designed than my one in Competition #1, which was awful.

20. jbnbsn99

Review comments:

An electric fence will not keep in chimps. You have serious containment issues. (same with all primates.)

Red Colobus is off limits. There are no husbandry guidelines.

You have no "green space." That is, space between the exhibits that serves as buffers and landscaping.

You have mention of an aviary in the write-up, but none appears in the design.
    (Never mind, I found it, just hidden and very small.)

With a 10 foot creek bank, hippos will not be visible (same with buffalo and duiker).

You need to have exhibit sizes and dimensions.

Open for more comments.