Join our zoo community

ZooChat Exhibit Design Competition #2

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by jbnbsn99, 11 Sep 2015.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This is the superfun part of the process where I interact with your feedback. I don't think my write up was adequate this time, so I understand your negative comments, but I will offer the suggestion that maybe you could find some positive things to say about the exhibits as well. I would appreciate that and I think others would as well.

-Two-story stable can't physically work
    Luckily I had removed this feature from my final design. Are you sure you read the right document?

-I wouldn't worry about the hippos getting away from the bongos, I'd worry about the bongos getting away from the hippos.
    Taken from this thread:
    http://www.zoochat.com/552/bongo-colobus-duiker-exhibit-89098/

-No holding at all shown on map for hippos, bongos, or drills
    -Or Diana monkeys
    -Or duikers, mona monkeys, or otters

This is because the holding is beneath the mongoose/event space. But another fair criticism about map detail.

-Public hog feeding not a safe idea
    A misunderstanding. I meant feeding station to mean a place where animals receive food, not a palce where visitors can be involved in that process.

-"no attempt to create an immersive or naturalistic environment" is not acceptable
    The exhibit brief did not mention the words 'immersive or naturalistic'. I know you believe that a modern zoo must do this but I and others don't. If you're going to judge a lack of this negatively it should be in the brief as a requirement.
    Also, why not tell me this a month ago in the initial feedback?

-A donation box will collect trash and used chewing gum.
    And donations. These are commonly used in Britain.

-No water pump area for extra, non-creek water areas
    This totally didn't occur to me. Is it just moats that need this, or hippo pools etc? Because I don't recall any other write-ups featuring pumps.

-No specified meeting space as required
    This is the Event Pavilion on top of the reinforced roof of Chappal Waddi.

I really enjoyed desgning this exhibit, and I am sure I will enjoy designing the next one as well. I know I am losing points because I don't pay as much attention to interpretation and some other aspects of the competition. Unfortunately they interest me less. When I visit zoos I tend to ignore this stuff and focus on the animals and their enclosures. Nevertheless I will try to improve on these areas next time.

Looking forward to #3!

2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Congratulations again for everyone, it was fun! Now that I will not spoil anybodys chance of winning, a comment.

I was surprised that jbnbsn99 accepted service roads going to the busy road outside the zoo with no apparent connection inside the zoo grounds. Seems like obvious design flaw. At best it would be difficult for staff to get out and in multiple times a day. At worst, it may be impossible - the road may be busy highway or other zoo gates may be not connected to it.

Also, wire front of a chimpanzee exhibit is not found in modern zoo exhibits. People would cross the fence and feed the chimps.

And drills are not found in the area marked on the map :)

I was also surprised by comments:

I would consider efficient use of limited space a plus. All exhibits are full of trees as much as possible.

I put bamboo and several thorny or distasteful species in the list. I know of no further low trees, shrubs or vines which would survive with chimps, monkeys or ungulates, and even those would need some support of hotwire or be destroyed after some time. Otherwise zoos in this country would look very different.

Best thanks again for the fun and effort you put in it, jbnbsn99. Looking forward for another round.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2015
  3. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't submit a final submission, but I thought my first one would automatically be included. It's been a hectic two work weeks.

4. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I'll add it in. I'll try and find some time tomorrow to do a complete grading.

5. jbnbsn99

Finally found the time and energy to grade yours. It's been a rough week. All my previous comments stand.

Theme 19
    Collection 20
    Exhibits 17
    Visitor experience 19
    Zoo's requirements 15
    Write-up 19
    Landscape 20
    Interpretation 20
    149/160

6. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the review! Hopefully I'll have more time to submit a final submission next time. I'm looking forward to it.

7. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Was just thinking about this today -- is anyone going to start another official exhibit design challenge? I'd love to participate in one.

8. jbnbsn99

I still plan on doing challenge 3, but my time has gone to nil lately with a new job and a new house.

9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I am also looking forward to Round 3. Good luck with life things in the meantime.

10. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Very interesting jbnbsn99. There is some need to make such complexes housing West African animals more popular, like are complexes representing East African savannahs, Southeast Asian forest, Madagascar, Congo Basin, Australia or South America (as already Batto mentioned on my thread about West African Animals). Some other interesting complexes would be many, for example New Guinea (your thread), Cuba, Borneo, India, Sahel, etc.
    Do you draw that first attached thumbnail photo? - I have draw also a lot of such plannings of enclosures on paint. Before that, when the use of computers was not so common I draw such plannings on paper, covering all big table. :p