Join our zoo community

ZooChat Merchandise

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Arizona Docent, 2 Jan 2020.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Based on a spinoff discussion on another thread, we will use this thread to discuss ZooChat logo merchandise we would like to see. The site administrator @Simon Hampel did post on the other thread that this is something he would like to do once he gets the site upgraded.

Several suggestions for products have been made: pins, tshirts, pint glasses, plush toys. Clearly it will be up to Sim to make the final decisions. While a lot of ideas will likely come up, keep in mind it has to be something he will sell enough of to make the initial setup cost effective. Also keep in mind he is based in Australia so for the majority of us outside that country, international shipping fees will likely apply (unless he figures a way to have it manufactured as well in Europe and/or USA). Please add your suggestions below.

2. Arizona Docent

Personally I would like to see fitted baseball caps. Fitted means the back is solid and not the obnoxious plastic bands with multiple holes to make it "one size fits all". They don't have to be deeply size specific (as in 5 7/8, etc). I have a plain black cap that is size Large/Xlarge (and is also made in Small/Medium) that works just fine.

3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I vote pins! Also happy to volunteer to help with these endeavours :)

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree, that would be great! I usually wear a baseball cap any time I visit a zoo.

5. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think pins will be the easiest option to make and ship, but I also would like to have caps or shirts.

6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just be aware that Baseball caps are a very American thing, as @snowleopard found out last year, hardly anybody in Europe wears them.

TNT, Maguari and snowleopard like this.
  7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sorry @Arizona Docent , but a baseball cap is virtually non-existent in European zoos. In the past I've gone on road trips through the USA and come home with 6 new ball caps (myself, wife, 4 kids) as souvenirs. Last summer I arrived in Europe wearing a Detroit Zoo hat and after visiting 95 zoos in the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Germany, including every single gift shop, I arrived back in Canada wearing the same tattered, old Detroit Zoo hat because there wasn't a replacement anywhere. :p I'm excited for any possible ZooChat merchandise, but baseball caps won't fly with European zoo nerds...who happen to dominate this site. :)

8. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You could have a picture of the old zoochat bird that's formed from a collage of the profile pictures of the most well-known zoochatters.

9. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I love that idea. One thing I would also like is the Zoochat Chat as a plushie, and of course an identification pin ;)

10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

But that raises the question of who are the most well-known ZooChatters? I mean there are some members with hundreds of posts who never leave the Fantasy Zoo forums, so would they be eligible? And some people update their avatar quite frequently so it might be outdated before it's even printed. A shame really because it's a good idea in theory, and I'd buy a top with my profile pic on it, no matter how small it ends up being. :)

11. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I know it’s a more expensive option, and very unlikely, but I vote plushie of the zoochat bird with the zoochat logo on its chest:p

12. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

As someone who posts infrequently but reads this site everyday, I would buy anything I could get my hands on - though my vote would be for pins or glasses/mugs. Maybe t-shirts!?

13. Arizona Docent

I do own one baseball cap from a UK zoo. It's also a collector's item now because it is from (now closed) Rare Species Conservation Centre! It's funny, though, I have been to Europe six times and have never noticed the lack of baseball caps (which I am always wearing myself). Maybe I am just not observant or maybe I visit places with lots of tourists who have them. Either way, I still want my fitted ZooChat cap!

14. birdsandbats

I think a baseball cap would be some of the best possible ZooChat merchandise. It's essential zoo gear and it would be easy to identify other ZooChatters during your zoo visits if they are wearing the hat.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2020
  15. Arizona Docent

Yes but how do you wear a baseball? ;)

birdsandbats and Ebirah766 like this.
  16. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Baseballs were originally designed to be cut open, the middle part to be eaten, and the outside to be worn as a hat! Come on Arizona Docent, this is basic knowledge!

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. birdsandbats

Edited. ;)

18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

When I'm travelling I tend to find that when I'm wearing a cap people assume I'll be an American.

If I'm wearing my bush-hat then they assume I'll be an Australian. (Except in China where one girl said it made me look like "from that movie, Brokeback Mountain").

19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

In the UK they are quite common, maybe more with my own hobbies/complexion means I wear one often or see people wearing them often.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  20. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think a perfect set of merch would include:
    - T-Shirt (both long and short sleeved)
    - A cap/hat
    - Badge/pin

Not really merch, but a calendar that's composed of photos voted as the best from the previous year. Those that have their photos used, could vote for a charity for all/some of the proceeds to go towards. Maybe the provision of a calendar could be incorporated into part of the premium member scheme...

Anyway, a few ideas from me :)