Join our zoo community

ZooChat's First Community Zoo!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by DragonDust101, 29 Sep 2016.

Tags:
  1. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

Hey Zoochatters,

I'd like to post an Idea. A spectacular idea. I'd like the Zoochat community to come up with a challenge. Our community will create a zoo, with different members creating different exhibits. We will need everything, not just exhibits, but location, and amenity design. (Obviously, you don't need to design the restroom, but think! )The exhibits will be critiqued and edited, and then once all the zoo's aspects are finished, we will choose a selection of 10-16 Exhibits, and the zoo will be compiled, schematic will be drawn, and though it seems impossible, it'll be pretty epic.

Rules-
    1. Tell Me your exhibit's general outline before planning it
    2. Make sure you detail the exhibit greatly.

I'd like other zoo chat members to come up with rules that will help streamline the process.

Thanks! Lets make this Community Zoo Epic!:D

Grant likes this.
  2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Maybe very young zochatters will obviosly be very interested in participating in this project, but I am almost sure that older one (like above 23 years) will be rather uninterested or tired to think about this. Plus there are several threads like this, with simmilar goals. Don't be surprised DragonDust101 if you don't get a lot of ideas for this thread. It seems that you are great enthusiast (and that is very positive trait) and of young age? :)

I was very enthusiastic when I was younger (under 25 years, now I am 27.17 years old :) ), but the last 2-3 years I faced with the harsh (not sharp :) ) reality and would be very enthusiastic only when I'll got the right opportunity.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2016
  3. DragonDust101

Really Nikola? I somewhat expected you to be a very good contributor to this thread as I've seen your activity on other threads... But if you don't it's certainly fine. Luckily, the amount of younger Zoochat members around here is good, and plus, it's a fantasy zoo, not a reality!

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting.
    I would like the zoo to be in Utah, preferably the corner closest to Las Vegas.

here is my idea for the first exhibit

Pachyderm panorama - This will be a modernized pachyderm House witch will have bigger non concrete indoor habitats and extra large outdoor habitats. While I don't have a planned design yet I do have a vision.
    Species,
    Asian elephant
    African elephant
    Greater one horned rhino
    Nile hippo
    Malayin tapir

Features - This would include A 9 acre elephant habitat That combines the savvahna and the forest to make it sutible fir both species. The hippos would have underwater viewing in both indoor and outdoor enclosures. When you exit the building a deck would view the large elephant pool.

That's what I have so fa, any ideas?

5. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

A community zoo? What a bad idea, as members will often disagree on certain designs and species.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

of course they will. That's why it says in the first post "the exhibits will be critiqued and edited". You know, like in the real world. That's how stuff gets done, by people combining ideas and making them better, or compromising over various aspects.

7. pachyderm pro

I think its a fun idea. We of coarse wont agree on every think but I think with all of our ideas would could create something pretty nice.

8. DragonDust101

This seems pretty good, But i'd like you to go into more detail about the exhibit design, and well, pachyderms are now defined as an obsolete order, being split up into what they are now, (even toed and odd toed ungulates, and elephants.)

9. DragonDust101

For location, think of a city that doesn't have a zoo, but definitely has the space for one. For example, say, one outside of vegas seems good, and the climate is good for warm weather animals, but the only problem would be that animals like Snow Leopards and Polar Bears would be somewhat of a problem. But this seems like a good Location. Good suggestion Pachyderm Pro.

Let it be known that the Community Zoo (Which needs a name!) is outside of Las Vegas, as they don't have a major zoo! ( This is still subject to change, as other people have different opinions, but for now.)

10. pachyderm pro

Well san diego and san fransico have both snow leopards and polar bears no problem. I am aware Vegas is hotter but you could always do what sea world does and keep them inside year round in a chilled habitat

11. DragonDust101

I will be making my own zoo exhibit to get our conversation started.
    I still have to figure out how the voting system is going to work, so this exhibit will be critiqued, and maybe even outvoted. The exhibit will be named Barbary Coast and is based off of the Atlas Mountians and the Barbary Coast of Algeria and Morroco.
    Animals-
    Barbary Lion-(tThey quite possibly still exist in European/Morrcoan Zoos.)
    Barbary Macaque
    Atlas Deer
    Barbary Sheep
    Caracal

You enter the exhibit through a pathway that leads to a traditional Morrocoan style village, where the houses are an array of snack bars. There is a table setting that allows the zoo goers to see the first exhibit- a mountainous slope home to a group of 3.3 Barbary Sheep and 2.4 Barnary Macaque. The exhibit has a pool at the bottom, with the rest being a slope with many rocks and artificial rock outcrops.
    The path winds away from the sheep and macaque exhibit, heading to a smaller rock outcrop that is nestled between some trees. It contains a veiwing area for 1.1 Caracal. They have a pool that winds down to the bottom of the enclosure near the veiwing window.
    The next exhibit is a large plain with tress and rocks spread throughout. It contains a group of 2.4 Atlas Deer they have a large lake to drink from.
    The next exhibit is the last and the largest, with many rocks, boulders, two artificial rock outcrops, a pool, and arrangements fit for 1.3 Barbary Lion.

12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I would like to made an exhibit called The Ancient Survivors. It would be about "living fossils" and would show species with old primitive fossil ancestors or relatives. It would be entirely located inside a building and would look like a species of mix between terrarium house and natural history museum. In the entry, outisde, would be cultivated (depending on which climate is located the zoo), tree ferns, Ginkgo, Metasequoia, Sciadopitys and/or giant horsetails (Equisetum giganteum or E. myriochaetum), as well as some cycads. Inside, there would be explanation signs everywhere and casts of fossil relatives for each featured species, indicating age and location of each one. Also would be here some models of species that cannot be kept alive, such as coelacanth and frilled shark, that would be represented by a resin or plastic real-size model together with casts of fossil relatives. Clockwise through the walls of the building, the alive species represented here in terrariums or aquariums would be chambered nautilus (Nautilus pompilius), in a higher than wide aquarium with low light, and with sign explaining that they're actually unrelated with ammonites despite looking alike, various species of lamp shells (Lingula anatina, Terebratulina retusa, Calloria inconspicua and Coptothyris adamsii, each one in individual aquariums) that need very few space, after an humid terrarium with mosses and ferns and a layer of dead leaves, home of Totoro's velvet worm (Eoperipatus totoro) and a miniature toy of Totoro character from Miyazaki movie would be inside the terrarium (I love his movies, hehe), of course the sign would explain why as well as the relation of the velvet worms with the arthropods and other phyla. Will follow an aquarium that is communicated with outdoor sunlight, but only visible for indoor for visitors, it would be very wide but not tall, and it will have a mud bottom and few centimeters of water. It would house Triops cancriformis or T. longicaudatus, easily available species (even in toy shops), and also some fairy shrimps (Chirocephalus, Branchipus) for decoration. This aquarium would be dried up each year for follow the natural cycle of these animals. The next terrarium would house a male and a female purple frogs (Nasikabatrachus sanhydraensis... not sure if I wrote well the scientific name, is difficult to memorize for me!). After, a very big aquarium (about 5 square meters) would house a pair of Chinese giant salamanders (Andrias davidianus), with a cast of Andrias scheuchzeri explaining how it was first believed to be a fossil of a man before Noah's Arch, and called Homo antediluvii. Next will be a terrarium with fallen trunks, ferns and easy to excavate soil, housing 2.5 tuateras (Sphenodon punctatus), with signs explaining its relationships with petrels. Next will be an aquarium with river lampreys (Lampetra fluviatilis), with signs explaining how the dams are close to bring these european survivors to the extinction now, and after a marine aquarium with hagfishes (Myxine glutinosa), and signs explaining how they're the main ocean bottom carrion-eaters and with a video of them cleaning whale carcass. Next will be a marine aquarium in total darnkess (with lateral walls for avoid the entrance of the building light), that house chimaeras (Hydrolagus colliei seems to be the only more or less available species) and sea pens in the bottom (Pennatula phosphorea). After will follow a large freshwater aquarium with alligator gars (Atractosteus spatula) mixed with bowfins (Amia calva), shovel-nosed sturgeons (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) and American paddlefishes (Polyodon spathula). After, a smaller aquarium with Fly River turtles (Carettochelys insculpta) and Australian Lungfishes (Neoceratodus forsteri). Finally, a series of "living fossils" that have a much wider actual representation with more richness in species: crocodiles (1.1 African pygmy crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis) will be the representative there due be able to live in smaller space than others), sharks (a marine aquarium with mixed small species, Hemiscyllium ocellatum, Scyliorhinus retifer, Poroderma africanum), and some very small terrariums with scorpions (Pandinus imperator, Hadrurus arizonensis, Babycurus gigas and Hadogenes paucidens, the terrariums forming a square). Such a number of big aquariums should need a relatively large building, whose center would be a waste of space if empty... so, here would be a touch-pool with horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus), and a cast of the famous Mesolimulus walchi with the big trace that was originally tought to be a different fossil.

13. pachyderm pro

Safari river boat tour (working title)- This would be the only paid for exhibit in the zoo. Like the boat tour at river safari Singapore, You would journey on a boat whil looking out for the animals of the forest aroud you. Like shedd Aquarium There will be touch screens on the boat, Showing info about the animals around you. These animals would include.
    White saki faced monkey
    pied tamarin
    Gerenuk
    Fishing cat
    dhole
    Asiatic black bear
    Nubian ibex
    Peccery
    And Diana monkeys.

This would be a about 10 min tour, and would cost kids 3.00 and adults 5.00

14. DragonDust101

Good, but try to refine down the exhibit. Give us a design. Also, why not make it a wetlands tour? It could be Africa/ Niger Delta, with Pymy/ river hippos, waterbuck, marsh buck, and otters
    , and water birds. Or do one for the Ganges delta.

15. pachyderm pro

That's a way better Idea! I Am good at planning and naming exhibits but I Have trouble designing them, What do you think of this instead.

Journey through the Nile- This would take you through the river as wildlife surrounds you from all angles. As you leave the station a small drop will splash you as you begin your journey. Look up in the trees and spot Diana monkeys running and playing ,maybe you will get lucky and see them cross the ropes that lead to the other side of the river. Look out onto the other side and see a grassy habitat for gerenuk. Continuing on A Similar but larger exhibit with more density That's home to marsh deer. A pond is followed that has Greater flamingos eating the shrimp that makes them pink. A right turn Leads you to a large semi dense exhibit with a pool and a mud wallow in the front. This will rotate between a breeding pair of pygmy hippos (because the Nile ones Are in Pachyderm panorama). Another pond exhibit Will show the largest group Of Nile crocodiles in captivity in the U.S. Another small drop will give you a small splash As you approach A large waterfall that could take your breath away. That water fall will continue on until it reaches a pool. This pool is in the exhibit for African clawless Otters. Another rare animal (in captivity) Is seen in a large grassy exhibit, This is home to a herd of cape buffalo, With a large watering hole in the middle. Nile lechwe Are followed up on the other side of the river. The final turn Is where The last 2 exhibits are viewed both for hoofed animals. @ exhibits across from each other have lowland Nyla, and Jacksons hartebeest. You then rearive at the shelter in witch you started, you get off the boat and exit the area. As stated, water proof touch screens will show info on any animal on the tour.

What do you think?

16. DragonDust101

I think it's good now, but you can only make one exhibit, so choose between pachyderm panaroma or the boat tour

17. pachyderm pro

I guess the boat tour sense Its more creative.

18. DragonDust101

Okay. Now are your animals from the Nile River of the Niger delta? They seem more Niger delta, with forest buffalo, Diana monkey, and Pygmy hippo. Also marsh deer are from south america

19. pachyderm pro

I like a nice mix of the nile and delta to add some diversity. Also they are not congo forest buffalo but black cape buffalo. I don't know why I thought marsh deer where African animals. I guess The nyalas would move to that exhibit to give the buffalo more space.

20. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member

I really like this idea for an exhibit, although there are a couple of species I would add or change:

- Firstly, although the purple frog is indeed a 'living fossil' they are not particularly suited for public display; one kept in captivity for five months was never recorded to come above the surface of the soil, even at night. An amphibian that may be better for public display, has been kept and bred in captivity and that diverged from other frogs around 200 million years ago are either of the two tailed frogs (Ascaphus montanus or A. truei).
    - Purely out of interest, I think it would be good to keep the European lancelet Branchiostoma lanceolatum, because they provide clues about the evolution of the vertebrates and are also able to be reared in good numbers in laboratories, so would probably be reasonably easy to obtain.