Join our zoo community

Zooguidesbooks from Australia

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Zebraduiker, 14 Dec 2008.

1. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Which australian Zoos and Aquariums does have a guidebook at present time or had published one within the last five years ?

I didn't knew there is a big Aquarium in Melbourne, I could imagine they have a guidebook, most aquariums has a guidebook, so that aquarium has one ,too ?

A few weeks ago, I've got the 1923 edition guidebook of Taronga Zoo with a photograph of two tasmanian tigers in it ! I know, that zoo has kept three of them between 1885 and 1924, the first one lived at the old zoo from 1885 til 1887, the arrival date of the second is unknown, but it lived probably til 1905. The last tiger has lived at Taronga from 1918 until 1924, so I wonder about this picture in the guidebook, showing two tasmanian tigers...Does anybodes knows more about the histoty of tasmanian tigers at Sydney Zoo ?

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Melbourne Aquarium is fairly new, and only opened around the year 2000. I visited about 15 Australian zoos and aquariums between May and June of 2007, and the 4 guide books that I bought were:

Healesville Sanctuary - 64 pages (no copyright date) - a large, glossy, magazine-like book
    Cleland Wildlife Park - 32 pages (1996) - large, glossy, magazine-like book and they have a new one apparently coming out soon
    Adelaide Zoo - 32 pages (2001) - large, glossy, magazine-like book
    Adelaide Zoo - 52 pages (no date) - official guide book, but quite small. The open range Monarto Zoo is also mentioned in the Adelaide literature.