Join our zoo community

ZOOHISTORICA 2013

Discussion in 'Events & Meetups' started by MikeG, 13 Jun 2013.

1. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The 24th International Meeting of Collectors of Zoo Literature and Memorabilia (ZooHistorica 2013) will be held at Bristol Zoo over the weekend of September 13/14/15.
    The agenda is as follows:-
    Friday 13th
    Evening icebreaker at a Bristol venue to be announced.
    Saturday 14th
    Bristol Zoo
    Morning = Collectors swap/meet.
    "Silent auction" through the afternoon of job lots/lesser material. Guided tour of the zoo.
    Evening meal in the zoo's Clifton Suite (in the Pavilion).
    "Golden auction" of zoo rarities and ephemera, including exciting material from the zoo's own archive, with a brief historical presentation of the Bristol Zoo by History PhD students Sarah-Joy Maddeaux and Andy Flack (to be held in the zoo's Lecture Theatre).
    "Zoo Quiz for Conservation" for small teams to be held in the Clifton Suite with proceeds to a conservation project.
    Sunday 15th
    Morning tour of Wild Place – Bristol Zoo's new visitor attraction on the Hollywood Tower Estate.
    Afternoon tour of Slimbridge – the world-famous home of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust with a special presentation about their conservation project for the Spoon-billed Sandpiper.

For more details, including participant’s fee, see http://www.zoohistorica.org/Zoohistorica%2024.pdf

2. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Concerning the above posting I would like to add a little more information concerning the 24th annual Zoo Historica[2nd time in the UK].The participants fee is £40 which includes entrance to all three zoos plus the evening meal and other items on the agenda.Basically it is an informal meet,and whilst it may appear that the emphasis is on the rarer items for sale/swap/auction,and these are certainly there,the reality is normally that large amounts of surplus material are offered cheaply or even free of charge.
    Normally held on continental Europe it is true that the same UK faces are usually to be seen.However, this is a chance for UK-based collectors of guides/books/postcards etc to get together and obtain material[a free table is possible should you require one].New participants are most welcome, but some notice of attendance would be required as there is an upper limit on numbers.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

One query - is transportation to Wild Place and Slimbridge included, or do we need to sort that out ourselves?

4. Tim Brown

Good question...its highly likely that something will be sorted out.So that's 99% yes.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I sent a message to IZES informing them of my attendance and have not received a reply.

6. MikeG

Hi bongorob,
    I had a word with Tim Brown and confirmed he's got your message.
    Note that people may get replies from Tim's office/business email ('raresoulvinyl') rather than the IZES one.

7. MikeG

On the Friday evening, the 'Icebreaker' event will be at The Mall Pub, 66 The Mall, Clifton, Bristol BS8 4JG. Gather from 6:00 pm onwards.

8. Tim Brown

A late addition to a full agenda for this meeting is a presentation/launch of the new addendum/update to "What Zoos Can Do" by author Anthony Sheridan on the Saturday.In addition there are some very interesting tables of material for sale/exchange by various people/organisations including The Bartlett Society,International Zoo News,a couple of zoo directors and more.Speaking personally I even have an amount of free publications such as annual reports from around the world and the like.In the evening auction Bristol is clearing out its archive of old guides from a variety of zoos and aquariums.So-if you want to spend a little, a lot, or indeed,nothing at all-you could obtain some very interesting items.We still have 20 places or so available and new faces would be very welcome.

9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've sent a message registering my interest, I'll be able to pay at the start of September. Would late payment be a problem?

10. Tim Brown

Most folks pay on the weekend itself so that isn't a problem,should be a great event, be glad to see you.

11. Brum

That's a relief, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a place. :)

12. Brum

Has there been any development in regards to transport? I imagine Slimbridge is quite easy to reach but I'm not certain that Wild Place is by public transport, owing to the fact it's new and doesn't have quite the same pull?

13. TeaLovingDave

Excellent news, this - I am very much looking forward to it :) hopefully transport to and from Slimbridge and Wild Place will indeed be possible.

14. Tim Brown

Sorry for late reply folks-ive been away from home and im one of the generation that doesn't feel the need to keep up with the internet while im away...transport as such hasn't been organised for the sunday BUT there are plenty of available cars[I have 3 spare spaces for instance] and if many more folks ask[its just 4 at the moment] then we will organise a mini-bus.Rest assured no-one will be unable to do the sunday due to logistics.Thanks

15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I'd quite possibly have spare seats in my car for someone who is pleasant, friendly and fragrant.

16. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Tim,

Can you please place my name down as a strong possibility for the Friday night? :D

I don't think l can make the sat and Sunday :mad:

Thank you

17. FelidLover

FelidLover Well-Known Member

I will definitely have car space on the Sunday - very happy to drive 4 others to Wild Place and Slimbridge :)

I must point out - I have a three door hatchback - so do be prepared to climb into the back!

Last edited: 28 Aug 2013
  18. Brum

Well I'd like to throw it out there that I will definitely need a lift, if anyone does offer then I will happily chip in for petrol. It has to be cheaper than a taxi!

19. TeaLovingDave

I'll throw my hat in for myself and Hel :)

20. FelidLover

FelidLover Well-Known Member

Happy to take you :) Whereabouts will you need picking up from? I will already be coming via cribbs causeway to pick up TLD and Hel.