Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo "zookeeper Mauled By Lions"

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nigel, 11 Jan 2006.

1. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

This was the news headlines on the front page of the paper .
    Unfortunately for me , it named the one zookeeper that I know from Wellington Zoo as being the victim .

I went to the hospital ( having no idea what to expect ) to visit Bobby .
    I found him awake and talking , laughing etc , with all limbs still attached , but somewhat worse for wear .He was hoping to have surgery this afternoon

How the lions and himself were in the same space as each other is still under investigation by the zoo , but Bobby was adamant that the young lions just wanted to play with him , and did not attack him in anger . Large pieces of his skin was grazed off by lions tongues giving him friendly licks . They wouldnt have licked him if they were going to attack him .
    Having said that , that is the closest shave Bobby has had for the 19 years work at Wellington Zoo dealing with numerous dangerous animals , and Bobby is happy to be able to get off relatively lightly .

I am telling you all this as it is quite possible that other media will see this story and will distort facts . If you get to hear rumours of it , at least you know that I have spoken to the "victim" myself .