Join our zoo community

Zookeeper Tricks of the Trade.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by European Fauna, 27 Jul 2009.

1. European Fauna

European Fauna Well-Known Member

We've all seen it.A feisty herd of oryx , for example , who won´t head into the stalls , it´s time to go home , and the keeper still has half his section to close.A senior keeper drops by , and within thirty seconds all the oryx are in.The persian leopard that always stops dead in front of the sliding door , except with one staff member.A group of primates which always squabbles at feeding time , except with one keeper, when peace reigns.The difference when moving stock from zoo to zoo between stress and injuries and a smooth operation.What do these keepers have that others don´t? Is it just a matter of time and experience , or do some just "have it"? What are the neatest keeper tricks you have seen?

2. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Being an animal trainer, I'd say it's all based on the "relationship" you develop with the animals... Through positive interactions with an animal you can really develop a good trust account with an animal, which will allow you to get those kind of results.
    I think experience, but also sensitivity to animal behavior and body language create that edge between different keepers. And apart from experience all the other factors vary from person to person, so we can say that some people "have it"...

Of course, that sometimes an animal just seems to "hate" a particular person for no apparent reason, but deep down there must always be a reason for that (sometimes not even created by that person).

Again being an animal trainer, I believe some of the "problems" you've mentioned are easily resolved with training, which is nothing more then developing those sensitivities and the ability to communicate with the animals (not in a spiritual / psychic way :p )