Join our zoo community

Zookeeper's Wife

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by ANyhuis, 28 Dec 2010.

1. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

For Christmas this year, I was given the book, The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. Has anyone here ever read it?

Apparently it is about the Warsaw (Poland) Zoo during World War 2, and how that Zoo's director and his wife used the Zoo's empty animal cages to hide Jews from the Nazis. I haven't started reading the book yet, but this story is an exciting thing! Nice to hear of zookeepers being so heroic!

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Read it. Not a bad tale, with some tantalising old zoo photos, but more 'people' than 'zoo'. Also a picture of an otter labelled as a badger.

3. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

I read it last year and I have a keeper reading it now. It is more about the people than the animals although there are some rather poignant bits concerning the animals. I would recommend it.

4. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great to hear zoo keepers doing such comendable work during the horrid years for them under natzi rule.

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I just finished reading the book and it is an intriguing story that showcases a Holocaust tale from a unique perspective. The focus is on the civilians of Warsaw battling Nazi occupation, with the zoo a supporting character, and it is amazing to think of the many European cities that were almost totally destroyed during WWII and are now modern day marvels. I'd recommend the book but it is more of a triumph over odds rather than a historical record of Warsaw Zoo.

6. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

After reading the book, I was very inspired to learn all I could about the real Zookeeper's Wife, Antonina Zabinski (and her husband, Jan, the Warsaw Zoo Director during WW2). So when I visited the Warsaw Zoo a few months ago, I asked if I could see the Zabinski's "Villa" house -- which is covered well in the book. (It's also where they hid many Jews during the War.) Touring the house was amazing. Down in the basement, they showed me where there once was a tunnel, an escape route to the rest of the Zoo. I got this special tour because I'm an author, but soon a similar tour will be available to everyone, as they are turning the Villa into a "museum". (Quite frankly, I recommended this to them when I was there.)
    Zoo director’s home to be museum to righteous couple | JTA - Jewish & Israel News

7. tenrec

tenrec Member

A movie based on the book will be released this year:

betsy likes this.
  8. K. Prenger

K. Prenger Member

I've read the book and seen the movie. The story of the Zabinski's is very impressive. The writer also describes the project of the brothers Heck who tried to 'bring back alive' extincted herbivores.

Lutz Heck, the director of the Berlin zoo, is also impersonated in the movie, but this role isn't completely truthful. Yes, he was a Nazi (as a friend of Hermann Göring, honorary member of the SS and leader of highest nature preservation agency in the state department of forestry), but he didn't persecute Jews in Warsaw like seen in the movie.

FBBird likes this.
  9. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I got the book for Christmas this year, one of a number, and it was the first I read. Safe to say I was captivated by the story and the heroism of the family.

As a history buff also it fascinated me to learn more about Warsaw during the war and the ideals of nazism in greater depth. I like how the author not only says it was about human ethnic cleansing but cleansing nature as well, leaving only the best animals for the Germans to hunt. It’s a fascinating story, one If I ever could do well enough, try to put onto the stage as I recon it could be extremely powerful.