Join our zoo community

Zoo Barcelona Zoològic de Barcelona News

Discussion in 'Spain' started by aim_foliksta, 22 Feb 2009.

1. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I remember seeing some plans and blueprints of the presented new reptile house, I remember there being very sizeable and good furnished exhibits at the expense of the loss of many of the species that live at the park, things that I'm not opposing. The only species I clearly remember from this were the caiman lizards.
    I really hope they preserve the most endangered species, the three you have mentioned sound like must-haves in my opinion.
    I really hope the marine biodiversity center gets done, I've readen some things about a sea turtle exhibit near the sea lions as well.

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  2. aramacao

aramacao Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I also saw those plans and they seem crazy to me. They want to build gigantic terrariums for species that don't need it, at the cost of losing many species. Animal welfare is very important, but these animals really don't need such huge facilities.

I remember when, years ago, the Barcelona Zoo had one of the best collections of reptiles in Europe, especially crocodiles. This is just a thing of the past...

zoomaniac and JigerofLemuria like this.
  3. SivatheriumGuy

Eh, it is sad to see many of the species leave the park, but I'd much rather have large enclosures for herps than a species quantity-focused collection planning. Although I do think they should rethink some of the species selection for a varied and interesting reptile house.

StoppableSan and JigerofLemuria like this.
  4. aramacao

I wouldn't complain if the planning made sense, but it doesn't. Reptiles are not mammals or birds, and most species have very limited space needs. It's a senseless impoverishment of the collection...

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

More like "most species are kept in enclosures with very limited space" - not "most species have very limited space needs". Most reptiles, especially snakes and lizards, are incredibly mobile in the wild. I have seen neither the old nor the planned enclosures for this zoo, but reptiles in general are kept in enclosures far too small and reptile keepers in general simply make excuses about it.

6. aramacao

Obviously there are exceptions. For example, some lizards, such as monitor lizards and some small lizards, tortoises, turtles or colubrids, are very active. But keeping a Morelia viridis in a 4 meter long terrarium doesn't make sense...

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

You literally just used thousands of species as "exceptions" to your "most species have very limited space needs"...

8. SivatheriumGuy

I mean, the bigger the exhibit the bigger the chances of more varied basking spots, more climbing zones, more areas to hide... This is basically my personal opinion but I'll see this as a plus for every species out there, be it a herp, an elephant or guppies.
    If having a large collection is getting in the way of the welfare being the best it can be I'd rather see less animals. The idea of reptiles having "very limited space needs" is something I just disagree with.

9. aramacao

I respect your opinions but I disagree. in fact, for animal control and safety in many reptiles, a limited space is recommended. Logically, the needs of the animals must be covered and they must be given all the space they need, but using common sense. My own experience raising reptiles for decades has allowed me to prove this. Each species is different, but after seeing the Barcelona Zoo plan, it seems outrageous to me.

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  10. SivatheriumGuy

Do you have the actual plans the park has? I completely forgot what they plan to have and I can't find the files.
    From what I saw I remember liking the enclosure design, the species lineup could have had some work.

11. aramacao

I saw the plans a while ago. I may keep them, but they may be confidential. But I remember that there were many inconsistencies and in the end there were only 8 or 10 huge terrariums left, nothing more, in a space where there can be three times as many very large terrariums, but with sense.

12. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently a male Black-faced impala (Aepyceros melampus petersi) was born! I wasn't aware that Zoo Barcelona is the only zoo in Europe with this species, the last individual passed away this year in Lissabon.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Barcelona (21/07/2023)

LiSom, Antoine, kiang and 4 others like this.
  13. aramacao

14. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

SivatheriumGuy and StoppableSan like this.
  15. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Three days ago 24-year old female California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) Biña passed away. She was born in Zoo Antwerpen in 2000 and arrived at Barcelona Zoo in 2001.

Source:
    Instagram of Barcelona Zoo (22/02/2024)

16. SivatheriumGuy