Join our zoo community

Zoological institutions under the same organization

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Julio C Castro, 25 Feb 2020.

1. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hey everyone, the title is pretty self explanatory :D I’ve been thinking about what zoological institutions are run by the same society/organization that one day I may consider joining into as a member. I’ve made a previous post about what zoos to visit in the next couple years which Omaha and Bronx Both came out on top, and coincidentally they both run other parks. Is there a concise list of societies that run the same zoos or parks? I’m currently member to the SDZ/SDZSP which I plan to renew since I love going to both! Maybe @snowleopard would know of some or all since I see you’re like a Zoo Jedi Master haha

snowleopard likes this.
  2. (Adsa)

(Adsa) Well-Known Member

First one I can think of is the Audubon association running the Audubon zoo, aquarium, and insectarium. These are all located in New Orleans.

Julio C Castro likes this.
  3. Julio C Castro

I totally forgot about that one:) Thank you! I think they may also run that new species survival center started with the SDZG or maybe I’m wrong about that one :oops:

Last edited: 25 Feb 2020
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Columbus Zoo and The Wilds as well as Detroit Zoo and Belle Island Nature Center are two examples.

5. Julio C Castro

The Columbus Zoo and The Wilds are places on my list to visit, I didn’t know about Belle Island Nature Center so thank you! :p

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ZSL - London Zoo + Whipsnade
    Zoos Victoria - Melbourne, Werribee and Healesville
    Taronga - Taronga (Sydney) + Western Plains (Dubbo)
    Whitley (or whatever they have changed it to) - Paignton, Newquay and Living Coasts
    West of England Zoo Soc - Bristol and Wild Place

7. Julio C Castro

Wow that’s a list haha Thank you very much, I hear a lot of good things about Taronga especially some zookeepers from the San Diego Zoo Safari Park saying they’d want to visit when I did my first visit :)

8. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zoo New England (formerly the Commonwealth Zoological Corporation) operates both Franklin Park Zoo and Stone Zoo in Massachusetts. Maybe it's just me, but the two zoos definitely have a similar feel which maybe is because it's the same management.

9. Julio C Castro

I heard of the Franklin Park Zoo but not Stone Zoo, are they complimentary to each other? Now I have a new zoo to read up on, thank you :)

10. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wildlife Conservation Society (New York City)
    Bronx Zoo
    Central Park Zoo
    New York Aquarium
    Queens Zoo
    Prospect Park Zoo

11. Julio C Castro

I knew of those and hope to one day visit them! I do plan to move to Canada in a year and was thinking about getting a membership to the WCS since New York is across the bridge from where I plan to move with my gf :)

snowleopard likes this.
  12. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you're moving to Canada, NYC is going to be impossible to get to quickly unless you are a frequent flyer. The Bronx Zoo is definitely a two-day zoo, while you could feasibly do CP and Queens Zoos in a day, and have a Brooklyn-centic day at the Aquarium and Prospect Park Zoo. Also, go in the summer, because then you'll get the full revue of animals each zoo has.

Bronx Zoo is free on Wednesdays, but I personally prefer not to go on Wednesdays because it might get crowded. That said, if your budget is tight, go on Wednesday, but get to the gates as soon as (or a little before) they open and make a beeline to the center or opposite side of the zoo and work your way back the way you came, seeing whatever there is along the way.

13. Julio C Castro

Thank you for the helpful tips! I plan to make a week trip when we can go, maybe every 1 to 2 months at least and I definitely want to take in the Bronx Zoo since it’s species rich and I would take my time looking at all the exhibits. As for the other parks, I would do a day each of less since you mentioned they are possible to do in less than a day. Other than that, I’ll be also getting for sure a membership for the Toronto Zoo and maybe even Granby Zoo since they are readily accessible via the train system in Canada.

14. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know if this helps, but there are those "franchise" aquariums like SeaWorld and SEA LIFE that operate in multiple different locations.

15. Julio C Castro

I would say they do count since they are technically both zoological/amusement parks. I think SeaWorld and SeaLife have some AZA accredited facilities which would solidify them as zoos/aquariums :)

16. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

RZSS (Royal Zoological Society of Scotland) owns both Edinburgh Zoo and the Highland Wildlife Park. Initially the founder (a lawyer) bought a land plot in 1913. That land is now known as Edinburgh Zoo, the Highland Wildlife Park opened independently in 1972, before being acquired by RZSS in 1986

17. Julio C Castro

Never heard of either parks but just started to search them up, they look awesome and thank you for introducing me to them :) It sounds like a similar start up story to SDZG with the San Diego Zoo starting back in 1916 and then opening the San Diego Zoo Safari Park aka as the Wild Animal Park in 1972 :D

18. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aspinall Foundation runs Port Lympne and Howletts in the UK. Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, and Wildwood Trust, also have multiple places.

For aquarium chains, along with Seaworld and Sea Life (which is international), there's SeaQuest, Ripley's, Landry's Downtown Aquariums, Marineland (international as well), Blue Reef (UK). There's multiple Dolphin Plus locations in Florida, and Dolphin Quest in Hawaii/international.

Six Flags and Busch Gardens each have multiple locations with zoos/animal exhibits.

Disney's Animal Kingdom technically has multiple places, since their hotel complex also has numerous exhibits.

The people that own Roer's Zoofari in VA also have a place in AZ that they rotate animals in between.

19. Julio C Castro

Thank you for the additions! I’ve been to the Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada and it’s so cool and fun to visit albeit very small :oops: I forgot about Busch Gardens being an actual theme park/zoo :D

TinoPup likes this.
  20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't been to a Ripley's yet, the one in Toronto opened after my ex and I broke up, bu I've been to a Landry's (Denver) and it was surprisingly nice.