Join our zoo community

zoomaps.co.uk

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by devilfish, 6 Oct 2013.

1. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I've been working on this website for several weeks. It's now starting to take a little bit of shape, and I feel it might benefit from some critical guidance as it develops.

I am trying to create an online gallery/library of zoo maps from around the world and across the years. I'd eventually like it to be as complete as possible.

So far I've uploaded a few maps from my collection. There are just a handful from Europe and Asia up so far.

Please let me know of any issues, or which links are not working (but aren't yet marked with an asterisk).

I've got a busy week planned; I'll be looking for some input from others very soon - particularly to expand the range of maps present - but please let me know which maps you'd be intent on uploading to ensure I've not yet got them on file.

Plans for the future:
    1. Include other documents (two guides are in the process of being converted to suitable flip-books)
    2. A comparison tool, if possible. Zoochatter Shorts mentioned to me the ideal of having an animation of maps for each zoo through the years, but I'm not yet technologically talented enough for that.
    3. Expand through time and space :)

Please bear with me if there's a significant delay in responding to emails.

[email protected]

Thanks for any help! :D

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I think this will prove both interesting and a lot of fun for others.

Needles to say (and yet...) you could expand your offering vastly by accepting scans from Zoochatters.
    We'd need some guidelines (resolution info, acceptable formats, etc.) and ideally a fast way to upload large files to you (Dropbox, ftp associated with the site, etc)

3. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Great resource, I look forward to seeing how this will develop.

4. devilfish

Thanks for the comments :)

Of course; I still have a heavy backlog of maps I've scanned which I need to upload, but once I work through those and a few maps I'm expecting in the post, I would really appreciate the input of others. I hadn't thought of dropbox; a very good idea though!
    I'll try to establish suitable guidelines in the meantime.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Needless to say, I'd be happy to share any maps which you lack :)

Which, by the by, will give me even more motivation to catalogue the large number of guides etc I picked up at Zoohistorica ;)

6. devilfish

The site has finally been updated. This is likely to be the last general update message I'll post on this thread - follow the facebook page for future updates.

Five new European countries have been added. There have also been significant additions to the 'Germany' and 'UK' galleries, and minor additions to 'Italy' and 'Spain'.

Please get in touch if you can add or correct dates/details, or if you come across dodgy links.

Now that I've uploaded almost everything I've scanned, I'll open up to anyone else who can help.

If possible, I suggest that we start with JPEGs - I tend to use 150dpi images for convenience. I've set up a dropbox account associated with the email address, and would be happy to accept images emailed through directly. ([email protected])

I'm still expecting that North American package, so it might be better if we start by looking at other continents, but I'm open to anything.

Please gather documents from future visits as well, even if you don't plan on uploading them. I'm happy to scan spares through.

Let me know if you're having trouble.

Thanks!

7. TeaLovingDave

I'll have a look through my stuff and see if there is anything I can contribute :)

8. TeaLovingDave

Although I will have rather more to send when I hopefully get my scanner working and thus have a quick means of uploading them onto my computer, I now have sent the first few maps which may be of interest, which I resorted to photographing.

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Just be careful - I had some scanned zoo maps on ZooChat but received complaints from some zoos about copyright - reproduction of the zoo's maps without permission can be seen as a breach of copyright.

10. devilfish

Thanks. I won't have much computer access for a few days but will start sending out emails when I get back.