Join our zoo community

Zooming in on Europe's Zoos - Anthony Sheridan

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Nisha, 28 Sep 2016.

1. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The groups are as follows:-

A:- 1,000,000+ visitors annually
    B:- 500,000 + visitors annually
    C:- 250,000+ visitors annually
    D:- EAZA candidate zoos
    E:- German medium sized zoos

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Thanks.

So the first three make sense.

The fourth one is based not on visitor numbers but on (I'm guessing) "the best" out of the zoos maybe going to join the EAZA?

I don't really get the fifth group: zoos from one random European country which fall within an arbitrary size-range? Is there a better explanation for that group in the book?

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Surely not? Something completely, shamelessly, unambiguously arbitrary? In a Sheridan book? It can't be!

Bad luck to medium-sized zoos in any of 40-odd other countries. (Not to mention plenty of other good medium-sized German zoos!)

I really wish he'd just call it 'Other Zoos I've Visited' and make a clean breast of it. It's this false authority that so puts me off his work, that could be so valuable.

4. Tim May

The rationale given for this category is:-

They are highly respected and successful German zoos whose visitor numbers could place them in Group C but whose animal collection lacks most of the larger mammal species compared with Group C zoos.

The exception has been made for German zoos because Germany has the largest number of zoos and largest number of zoo visitors in Europe.

5. Chlidonias

that really seems ... I'm struggling to think of a way to phrase this .. but that just sounds like he's stretching for a reason to include them, but pretty much (as Maguari said above) "and then there's these other zoos I visited as well".

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Precisely :p

His new fourth category of "candidate EAZA zoos" is a pile of cobblers too, given that he has always refused to include any existing EAZA zoos which do not come from Europe as he defines it - which he has previously said does *not* cover any portion of the Russia, nor any country formerly included within the USSR - nor any countries which are not EU members.

As such there are *plenty* of EAZA members which he does not discuss in his books; it also raises the possibility that in future editions of his book he might remove all UK collections from the book!

7. Tim May

The new Group E (German medium sized zoos) does appear a somewhat illogical category.

However any mechanism for grouping and ranking zoos would probably prove contentious; choosing the best zoos will always be subjective. It would be impossible to define a completely objective ranking algorithm that pleases everybody.

I’m not defending the way zoos are categorised or ranked in this book but it would be sad if quibbling over this detracted from the value of this volume. The wealth of detailed information provided makes this an extremely useful reference work; I am very pleased with my copy.

amur leopard likes this.
  8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Indeed - so why does he pretend that it is objective?

If it's a book of stats and his opinions on what's important to him about the zoos then that's fine by me, potentially very interesting, but not if it's claiming to be something else. Every time I've looked at the book it just frustrates me*.

Ah well, I'm sure he's put a lot of work in to it and I'm glad people get value from it. :)

*without wanting to make things too personal, I may be being influenced by having talked to him...

9. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This genuinely brightened my day. Like Maguari, though, I'm glad others find What Zoos Can Do more worthwhile than me.

As TLD has said, Tim Brown's book is a different animal: informed, focused, and well produced. I don't always agree with him, but it's a worthy addition to any enthusiast's library.

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm pretty sure he'd be disappointed if you did, he loves a debate.

I'm in the camp that finds Sheridan's original book useful but far from comprehensive, definitive or logical (among many other frustrations, he has too much of a penchant for certain species and their inclusion in a collection seems to guarantee their inclusion in "best exhibits" regardless of their actual quality). Basically the whole endeavour feels like a massive missed opportunity and, most likely, blocks the market for other better guides to be (non-self) published.

I'd be interested to know (Tim May please) whether the new volume has decent maps of all collections? For me that'd probably be the tipping point on whether I purchased.

If only Tim Brown published a pan-European guide, I'd buy that sight unseen.

11. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Except that he's now included a zoo in Serbia, which is neither an EU or an EFTA member, so I suspect he'll find a way to keep the UK within the scope of his project after all.

12. TeaLovingDave

Funny that, given Serbia is one of the other countries he has been known to claim doesn't "count" as Europe :p more fodder for the suggestion his new inclusions are based purely on the grounds of "Zoos he visited and felt like reviewing" methinks!

13. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14. Chlidonias

you could always buy it.

15. Tim May

The new volume does include a small map of most of the zoos featured.

16. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Tim, appreciated.

17. Chlidonias

there are some sample pages on the NHBS site: Zooming in on Europe's Zoos: Sheridan's Guide to Europe's Zoos 2010-2015: Anthony Sheridan: NHBS

The maps on the pages shown (for Belfast and Rhenen) look large enough; I'm presuming they are the zoo's own official maps.

What gets me with this series of "updated editions" is that they are put out so close to one another for no reason other than that he's visited a few more zoos. Categories A and B for 80 zoos; then categories A, B and C for 92 zoos; then categories A, B, C, D and E for 120 zoos. Within the space of five years. I mean I know that's the point of an update, to provide additional information, but why do it after just a couple of years for a bare handful of extra zoos? Is he just going to keep adding imaginary categories every time he visits some new zoos and needs a way to fit them in without re-working his model? (Rhetorical question, I know he will).

18. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And his candidate for EAZA category is already outdated as Kosice Zoo became a full member at the last EAZA annual conference in Belfast.

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Or the Directors of the said collections have deemed to sit down chat with him and let him ask a whole pile of pointless questions,so he can have a nice trip and boast about having yet another director as a friend!

Any Director with any sense would do what Susie Boardman did when he chatted with her about the future of Twycross give a whole pile of bull ****,and let him swallow it and than publish it word for word,I know I for one didn't stop laughing at what was said to be happening at Twycross,as we knew it wasn't going to happen!

20. TeaLovingDave

Cate to remind me what he wrote about Twycross? :p I imagine it will have entailed discussion of that big carnivore development they kept talking about then quietly dropped.....