Join our zoo community

ZooParc de Beauval Zooparc de Beauval news 2021

Discussion in 'France' started by Antoine, 7 Jan 2021.

1. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Small review from my last friday visit :
    - the two refurbished aviaries are nothing special and don't think really good in my opinion. The volume is not so important and the net is shiny which prevents to see the birds when it is sunny. The first one is for sun conures. The second one replaced a raw of four old aviaries where there were philippine coockatoos, blue-headed macaws and others). There are now hyacinth macaws, blue-headed macaws and guira cuckoos and they want to add curassows.
    - sad news but the birds tropical house looks empty with the deaths of lot's of the interesting birds (including two males andean cock-of-the-rock, one female pesquet parrot, african firefinches...). So now, the place is just full of victoria's crowned pigeons and lories ! Luckily remain : 2 females cock-of-the-rock, 1.1 pesquet parrots, 0.1 toco tucan, 1.0 green broadbill, 0,1 great blue turaco, 1.2 javan rhinoceros hornbill, collared kingfishers.
    - the white tigers enclosures received new plantings and developments. They look better but are still too small.
    - the new conservation house look nice but was closed during my visit (only open wednesday and week-end until end of june),
    - all the four indian rhinos (1.3) were together.
    - Akili, the new male african elephant was in the sand paddock. He seems to feel well but I didn't see any zookeeper to ask for more details. The six ladies were all together in the large grassy paddock.
    - the young common hippo born last year was int the inside pool with her mother. The two other hippos were outside.
    - southern bald ibisses, abdim's storck, open-billed storcks, african spoonbills and hadada ibisses were all on nest.
    - a young male bongo was in the lesser kudus enclosure and was rotating with the kudus group. I suppose it was before he left the zoo.

The tropical dome :
    - the female yellow anaconda died so there is now just the male on display.
    - the Tonkin bug-eyed frogs are now off-show and have been replaced by red-tailed ratsnakes.
    - the adult tomistomas have already mated and are now much more visible.
    - the young tomistomas grow very well and I think some will leave the enclosure in not much more time.
    - the coconut crabs died last year.
    - the sand fiddler crabs will now stay off-show.
    - the earless monitors will never be on show as they are too difficult to present.
    - partula snails will be on show in the future in the Beauval camp.
    - two grey-winged trumpeters (arrived last year) are mixed with the squirrel monkeys and southern tamanduas.
    - the red-shanked doucs are really shy. They stay in the upper part of the aviary all day long and only sneak back down to take food. Hard to take some pics but the group with the two babies is amazing.
    - a red-crested turaco is free in the dome together with nicobar pigeons, scarlet ibisses, roseate spoonbills, crested partridges and superb starlings.

To finish with good news :
    - another douc pregnancy.
    - three females manatees are pregnant. A rather good news but with 13 manatees in the pools I think the zoo must stop breeding or think about some transfers...

Photos to follow in some days.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Jun 2021
  2. Antoine

I forgot to mention :
    - the female west indian iguana died unfortunately. They are looking for a new one.
    - panther chameleons are now on show in the radiated tortoises enclosure on a hanging tree trunk.

3. Antoine

I forgot to mention another thing :rolleyes: : if I am correct there is a new species in the reptile house, instead of the common iguanas : the utila spinytail iguana Ctenosaura bakeri

[​IMG]

And to wait before I upload pics :
    [​IMG]

twilighter, TheGerenuk, CMP and 7 others like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lesser Antilles Iguana? Iguana delicattissima?

5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes :).

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How unfortunate. A very rare species both in zoos and in the wild. It would be nice if some more zoos would work with these iguanas (that are way more interesting than your regular green iguana).

Haliaeetus likes this.
  7. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

I would add there are now 4 Pied Avocets and 2 White-rumped Shamas in the Bird House.
    In the new Sun Conure aviary I've seen 6 Black-headed Parrots (or at least a very close species) in the backstage.
    And 2 Yellow-bibbed Loris have replaced the Pesquet Parrot in the aviary at the entrance of the Australian House.
    The Doucs seem often shy, but I had a lot of chance seeing a small group including a baby very close to me at the end of my visit (I've taken several photos!).

SivatheriumGuy and Antoine like this.
  8. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi all,
    I intend to visit Zooparc de Beauval on early August and I would like to ask a question. My base during my trip will be Paris, what is the easiest way to get from Paris to Beauval ? I have heard something about buses which depart from Paris..may I know where do the buses depart from and is it necessary to book the ticket in advance ?
    Thanks, Jakub

9. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jakub, the direct connection between Paris and Beauval is not existing anymore (I guess since Covid).
    You should take a train from Paris Austerlitz station until Blois from which a shutle takes you to the zoo. You will find below 2021 schedule :
    https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/documents.zoobeauval.com/pdf/Flyer_bus_2021.pdf

You will only have 7hours of visit inside. If it is your fist time, that may not be enough.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  10. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Therabu
    Thank you very much for your advice

11. Antoine

Recent births : 1 Queensland koala, 1 western common chimpanzee, 1 Somali wild ass, 1 callimico, 3 dwarf mongooses, 1 Java mouse deer, 3 steppe eagles, 1 palm-nut vulture, 3 common black kites, 3 european white storks, 3 green pricklenapes, 3 coral catsharks, 11 Giant Malaysian Leaf insects.

12. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

13. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Last Sunday female Reticulated giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis reticulata) Binti gave birth to a healthy male, he was given the name Melman.

Source:
    Instagram of Zooparc de Beauval (13/07/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CRRc7suL1AK/

14. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do they limit the number of visitors. I went today, but it was realy busy. Still had a good time. The new dome is verry nice, but not realy photo-friendly at least for an amateur like me

15. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

The female giant panda Huan Huan is expecting a baby this summer.
    The birth should take place within 10 days!

16. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s now twins!

Giant panda in French zoo expecting twins

A new ultrasound of Huan Huan, our female panda, performed today at the end of the afternoon, revealed the presence of a second baby panda!" said the zoo in its press release.

The second fetus measured 3.27 cm by 1.19 cm. The size of the first one, already seen on the first ultrasound image performed on Tuesday, more than doubled to 3.65 cm by 1.79 cm, it added.

17. Antoine

Recent births : 1 southern tamandua (first ever for the zoo), 2 red pandas, 1 Kirk's dik-dik, 1 Reeves' muntjac, 4 meerkats, 1 golden-handed tamarins, 3 red-breasted gooses and 5 pearled river stingrays.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2021
    JurassicMax and twilighter like this.
  18. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

JurassicMax, Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Antoine

Sad the new born is a male. Hope the other babies that will arrive soon will be females.
    Strange they said they have 13 manatees now as it was already the case before this birth... I suppose one have left but who and what type of leaving (departure, death) ?

JurassicMax likes this.
  20. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member