Join our zoo community

ZooParc de Beauval Zooparc de Beauval News

Discussion in 'France' started by orang09, 7 Oct 2007.

1. orang09

orang09 Well-Known Member

i have some questions about this woundefull zoo ;

1 - long ago form longleat 5 elephants were sent to the zoo in hope of breeding - many years have passed i am woundering are any of them pregnat ?

2 - what are the names and ages of the orangutans there ?

3 - are they still the only zoo to have manties ?

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

What are manties?

amur leopard likes this.
  3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

maybe manatees, and they are the only ones in france, not europe

4. Vinch

Vinch Member

Yes, ZooParc de Beauval is the only intistution who breeds Manatees and had two births.

The first produced a male and the second birth produced a viable pair of twins (a male and a female). This gemellar birth is probably the only one in the world.

Actually, Beauval have 3-2 Manatees.
    In Europe, you may see Manatees in several intistutions:
    Arnhem (Netherlands) 2-1
    Nuremberg (Germany) 1-2
    Odense (Denmark) 2-3
    Randers (Denmark) 1-1
    Zoomarine (Portugal) 1-0

I'm not able to tell you the ages and the names of Bornean Orang-Utans (3-5) but the group came at first from Jersey who bred the two species (Bornean and Sumatran) in two separate enclosure... At now, Jersey breed only the Sumatran species.

About Orang Utan, the oldest male in the world, still reproductive, is Major who is 47 years old. He is of Sumatran species and living in Zoo de La Boissière-du-Doré, France. (group: 5-3-1)

5. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Animal Park Berlin also keeps manatis, 2 males and 3 females I think.

I am not sure if Major is really the oldest sumatran orang utan in the world, isn`t Charly from Frankfurt older? He turned 50 at the end of 2007, and he sired his last young maybe 2 years ago.

6. Vinch

Vinch Member

You're right. I forgot Berlin Tierpark!

About Major, I heard he is the oldest, but maybe this info isn't exact..

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Charlie(estimated d.o.b 1957) at Frankfurt is reckoned to be about five years older than 'Major' (estimated d.o.b 1962) at La Boissiere.

They both arrived first at other zoos- Stuttgart and Duisburg respectively before moving on to their current homes. They are definately the two oldest males(at least in Europe).

8. Vinch

Vinch Member

Ok. Thank you for this info, Pertinax.

9. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

You don't mean that they are the only ones breeding in Europe right? Just France

10. Vinch

Vinch Member

Pardon, I effectively mean that Beauval was the only FRENCH institution who breeds Manatees and the only one in the world (I heard of) who obtained a viable gemellar birth.

And following in the same message you took down, I spoke about the others institutions who breed manatees in Europe.

Surely, I meant that Beauval is the only french institution who breed manatees...

Sorry for bad understanding from my apart...

11. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Ok. It's just that all the ones you mentioned don't have breeding groups, but I can see now that you meant which zoos in Europe holds manatees. Those manatee twins sounds cool :cool:. Can you tell me a bit about the manatee enclosure in Beauval? I have seen the enclosures in Odense, Randers, Arnhem, Nuremburg and Berlin, so you can compare it to them if that makes it easier to describe.

12. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I heard that Nurnberg zoo (Germany) also got twins manatees... but I'm not sure wether they survived or not... but this zoo obtains regular breeding successes with this specie.

13. kiang

14. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A great little zoo, although l think the Koalas really had the worst exhibit l have ever seen. Totally indoors and no real space to climb around just a few stumps.

3 gorilla births is of course great to see.

15. Panda21

Panda21 Member

The new for 2010 in Beauval is official. It will be a new area which will show Indian rhinoceros, Malayan tapir and asiatic antelopes.

There will be too new enclosures for monkeys and birds (The species are not specified , but we can think of the gray langurs or the hornbills)

Based on the official site of the zoo

(Sorry for my bad english)

16. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't been to Beauval, but calling it a "Little Zoo" feels weird, because as far as i understand they have one of the largest collections in France? Is the acreage that small?

Just to complete the list of manatee holders in Europe; Madrid's "Faunia" park holds a few (I think 1.2.1.1 with a recent birth) and Nürnberg recently send two males to Genoa Aquarium...

17. Panda21

Panda21 Member

Maybe when zooman speaks about a little zoo , he speaks about the babies and not the acreage , which is around 25 hectares (5 hectares for elephants). It's a good acreage and he will increase next years. Manatees have a great aquarium , they share this with many fishes and turtles.

18. kiang

An interesting article posted at zoonaute, regarding the new Asian area proposed for next year.

The arrival of the Indian rhinoceroses (Rhinoceros unicornis) is normally planned for March 2010. It is a couple which is planned for the moment. The individuals must come from Madrid, for the male (Either Daan - born in 2000 - or Sahib - born in 2004 -) and the female of Tierpark Berlin: probably one of the two young people, is Saathi (born in 2005) or Manjula (born in 2008). Personally I put rather on the first Wink.
    They will cohabit in the Asian plain of 2,5 hectares with three species of ongulés: stags axis (Axis axis); antelopes cervicapres (Antelope will cervicapra) and of the nilgauts (Boselaphus tragocamelus), a species still not very common in France.

Side of the forest, a large enclosure will be intended for a couple of Malayan tapirs (Tapirus indicus) which will cohabit with muntjacs (Muntiacus sp) and cranes with white neck (Grus vipio). It will be about the only cohabitation of the kind in Europe.
    A birdcage will be intended for the family of entelle of India (Semnopithecus entellus) maintained inside the building of the large monkeys since 2007. It will be about the only species of primates of the extension.

In conclusion, one sees here that Beauval holds a very interesting innovation for us, first of all by accomodating large mammals still rare in captivity; but also by diversifying its collection (first species of deer tribe accomodated). The displacement of entelles is also a positive thing.

I amply thank Eric Bairrão Ruivo, Directeur Science and Conservation of Zooparc de Beauval, which answered my questions at the request of Rodolphe Delord.

19. alexpe8

alexpe8 Active Member 15+ year member

I'am the author ... It's a good new for Beauval. The park plans to have new Asian species for many years.
    Mishmi's Takins are also presented in the wings.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have the Indian Rhino arrived yet? If not when are they expected?