Join our zoo community

ZooParc de Beauval Zooparc de Beauval News

Discussion in 'France' started by orang09, 7 Oct 2007.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

First Santillana and now Beauval. I suppose that both are from the same origin. What's the origin? Seized birds? Anyway sounds good for starting an European breeding program for Cuban trogons.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apparently seized birds, a small zoo on the island of Texel in the Netherlands also has them now.

Kifaru Bwana and Mehdi like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which zoo (certainly ... not Ecomare???)?

4. lintworm

Eureka or Texel bird zoo or however they call themselves now ;)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Goodfellow's tree kangaroo swap in France.

Female Yingwie from Paris Jardin des Plantes was swapped for female Iumi from Beauval.
    The latter never hit it off with male Tirrikee. So, she was sent to Paris JdP. It seems Yingwie and Tirrikee seem a better match and first encounters have been promising.

BTW:
    Does JdP have a male now for breeding?

Source FB: Zoo de Beauval

6. lintworm

They had a male one year ago, I don't know how the current status is though...

7. Kifaru Bwana

Name at all?

8. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does Beauval still keep the following species, and if so, are they on-show and where? I don't want to miss any unsigned species as it is quite a hard zoo to get to... :D

Lesser green broadbill, Calyptomena viridis
    Western bluebird, Sialia mexicana
    Chestnut-tailed starling, Sturnia malabarica
    Masked tanager, Tangara nigrocincta
    Yellow-billed cardinal, Paroaria capitata

Cuban Trogon, Priotelus temnurus

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Earlier this month, both the broadbills and the trogon were on show in the bird house near the entrance, in the same aviary but unlabelled. I don't think we saw the others, but there were quite a few unlabelled birds in there.

Vision likes this.
  10. Vision

@Maguari interesting combination, thank you for the info! I just found a facebook post from march saying that aviary also held African firefinches and black phoebes... Both species aren't mentioned on zootierliste though, so I'm a bit sceptical, as those two would also be very rare and I don't think the post was from an official source. I suppose I'll see!

I assume the quetzals and both cocks-of-the-rock are on-show as well?

11. Maguari

Firefinches are still there - also a female Western Spindalis (Spindalis zena) in the same aviary. :)

We saw two pairs of Andean Cock-of-the-Rock - no quetzals sadly.

Kifaru Bwana and Vision like this.
  12. Maguari

Currently on my way through uploading photos of Beauval and just reached Les Maîtres des Airs - the bird show.

I've done a run through in a stream-of-consciousness kind of way starting from this post: Stadium - Les Maîtres des Airs at Beauval, 12/06/18 | ZooChat

Hit 'previous' to run through the show. It probably covers two-thirds of the species in the show at most...

Brum and Vision like this.
  13. Vision

Also a black-bellied seedcracker in there now as well, as of my visit in the beginning of July!
    I didn't see any of the other species I mentioned in my first post either, but we did see a sign for yellow-billed cardinal, only to see a red-crested cardinal in its enclosure. A rare freeroaming species I saw that wasn't signed was a grey-backed thrush.

Lovely runthrough of the show, sounds like you had a similar experience as I did, along with all the weird plot twists... A large group of whistling-ducks overhead in a bird show is truly odd! Along with the species you mentioned I also saw some common shelducks, an Eastern imperial eagle, a flock of cinereous vultures, at least one Rüppell's vulture, a few Jandaya conures and two large falcons; one I think was a saker, the other I think might have been a dark phase gyr (or hybrid) as it was noticeably bigger than the saker still!

Maguari likes this.
  14. Maguari

Yeah, there were a lot of species I didn't get decent images of. The whole thing still makes my brain spin a little to think of it..!

Vision likes this.
  15. Maguari

Have finally finished uploading the Beauval pictures after a month and a half..!

ZooParc de Beauval | ZooChat

Brum likes this.
  16. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well that's my evening gone! ;)

Maguari likes this.
  17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A male Okapi was born on 4th August. Parents are Tafari and Henry. This is the first Okapi to be born and conceived at Beauval - the only previous birth (a female) was conceived in Rotterdam

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is the first conceived in Beauval and survived the birthday.

19. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Will they built or redevelop enclosures between 2018-2019 ? They will start building the new tropical dome after the summer of 2019.

20. Maguari

The dome is already being built - the main frame was being finished when I was there in June this year - you can see it in the background here: Arrival of the Parrots - Les Maîtres des Airs at Beauval, 12/06/18 | ZooChat