Join our zoo community

Zoos and Stadiums; Zoo-Animal Love and Football Love - What they Have in Common?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 24 Apr 2017.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I always thought that in general, people who love animals, are not very attracted to the sport; same case with me (but I love swimming a lot). I don't find watching football interesting, although I love to visit big popular stadiums (as I already did in Munich - Alians Arena, and somehow stadiums remind me, or I think it can be, an excellent enclosures for hoofstock :) ). Do you think this too, or is this case with you?

Also, what do you think, are zoos more visited than football matches (at least in the football-loving Europe) or it is reversed?

Both stadiums and giant zoos cost a lot of money, that for sure.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2017
  2. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Sports are insanely popular, compared to them zoos are small. You only have to look at the vast sums spent on players; on the stadiums (often in prime locations); on the advertising; on the TV slots etc... Sports is big business and sports like football are top of the list.

Zoos simply don't compare.
    Not only have sports got a huge fan base, but they've also a loyalty and team setup that ties into human desires for groups/packs. You don't get rival zoo fan clubs beating each other up or having their own patron pubs - sports does.

Both do cost money and both are reliant upon visitors for their finance, but sports are many many leagues ahead. Zoos simply can't capture that same atmosphere.

Alongside that don't forget that sports is tied to gambling in big ways; heck some such as dog and horse racing is almost totally reliant upon gambling for its primary income and attraction. Another area where zoos simply can't compete; nor do I think they want to attract the gambling market in that way; sure the money is good but it sends the wrong messages.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

This rarely happens now and is not an every day occurrence in football, sad that it seems to still have this rep.

Not true for the top leagues/teams They could let fans in for free and still make money.

4. Nikola Chavkosk

I was asking myself, who would have more visitors per year, let say for Allianz Arena in Munich and Tierpark Hellabrunn in Munich, Germany. Whether the Allianz Arena has more visitors (visitors on an empty stadium and public for football matches), than around 2,284,000 visitors that Tierpark Hellabrunn welcomed during 2014? :)

5. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  6. Nikola Chavkosk

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can show your theory to be wrong on zoo lovers liking sport! Probably the only things I watch on television regularly are animal /zoo programmes or sport.

Apart from visiting zoos, running football teams takes up most of my time! I watch most sports at some time if they involve a ball or running. I have absolutely no interest in motorsports though!

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I should probably add, I am a regular match going football fan.

And watch most games that are on TV. I also enjoy Tennis and Cricket.

I also enjoy playing a wide range of sports. :)