Join our zoo community

Zoos & Aquaria In Madrid

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Newzooboy, 16 Aug 2013.

1. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I will be visitng Madrid in October and plan to do the Zoo/ aquarium and Faunia.

Are there any other zoos / aquaria in Madrid?

I have heard of another smaller aquarium but not sure if it still exists?

Also note that there is a Safari Park, but i suspect difficulties getting there without a car?

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.....

2. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

There is a small aquarium in the centre of Madrid; it's actually a small paid exhibition within a pet shop, but it does actually hold some interesting species. I found the mammals more interesting than the fish, but it isn't expensive and you'll probably be nearby at some point anyway. It was being renovated when I went.

I was advised by the management that the safari park wasn't really accessible without a car. In April last year there were only a couple of expensive organised tours available. It didn't really seem worthwhile.

There are a number of collections in the suburbs or just outside Madrid, including the small collection at Cosmocaixa, GREFA rescue centre (weekend pre-booked tours only), and further afield Cañada Real open centre for Iberian wildlife looks like it's worth visiting (looks tough but doable by public transport).

3. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks......I'll look out for it

Don't suppose you have a link or anything showing location? Doesn't appear to have a website.

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Aquarium Madrid Preciados
    :)

5. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This place it's he most awful and disgusting "pet shop" I ever seen in aLl my live.
    I hardly recommend you NOT visit it.

6. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry to bump an old topic but as I didn't find any thread for this zoo I found this to be a good place to post this: I have just visited Cañada Real Open Centre and will be uploading pictures (and possibly a review of it) as soon as I'm back home.

Maguari, Penshet and Brum like this.