Join our zoo community

Zoos around London

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Otter Lord, 29 May 2009.

1. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Next summer, I may get the wonderful chance of going to the UK for the first time and I was interested in what good zoos are around London. I'm asking because I'm not really familiar with all the European Zoos and many are named after places that I'm unfamiliar or have a name that is unrelated to their location. So what good zoos shall I check out around London? How far is the drive to some other good places like the Chester Zoo? I know I'll probably check out the London Zoo of course and Whipsnade. I might also not stay in London or somewhere else because there are various hotels that my family could stay at for a week for free. Any recommendations?

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

London's main zoos are London Zoo and Chessington (which is a theme park and a zoo).

Chester is about a 4 hour drive from London, so unless you are extremely dedicated in going to Chester Zoo, I'd leave that unless you stay in the North West of England (the closest major cities are probably Liverpool or Manchester).
    http://www.chesterzoo.org

Chessington World of Adventures & Zoo - fun family days out!
    ZSL - Animal Conservation and UK Zoos

they're the links to the chessington and london/whipsnade websites

Here is the link for how to access Whipsnade (London Zoo is easily accessible by London's public transport system):
    http://www.zsl.org/zsl-whipsnade-zoo/planning-your-visit/how-to-find-us,160,AR.html

There is also the London aquarium which may be of interest (however London zoo itself has a very impressive aquatic collection)
    http://www.sealifeeurope.com/local/index.php?loc=london

3. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Weren't you on the ZT site Zoo Admin? Welcome to ZooChat anyhow!

Yep, Jimmy's already laid out the suggestions. Another near-London would be Woburn Safari Park, not far from Whipsnade itself.

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Both Howletts and Port Lympne zoos south west of London would be well woth a visit both have really good collections also they have the worlds biggest Gorilla group.

5. CZJimmy

Following on from Mark's suggestion here is the links
    Opening Times & Directions Howletts Wild Animal Park - Kent
    Find Port Lympne Safari & Wild Animal Park

(Port Lympne seems to be the better of the two parks)

and here is Marwell Dalek's suggestion of Woburn (you will need to have a car for this though):
    Woburn Safari Park ~ Get closer than in the wild

6. Otter Lord

Yeah I did go there, still play ZT2 actually...

Thanks for the suggestions. What kind of Zoos are Howletts and Port Lympe? I'm going to check out the gallery but anything special about these places in particular? Any Zoo maps?

7. CZJimmy

Don't expect it to look pretty;)

The Aspinall parks (howletts and port lympne) have an ethos that involves "animals first, people second". It's a very mammalian-based collection and there are next to no birds, reptiles or invertebrates.

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Both zoos are well known for having very good breeding records with the animals they keep, of note are the worlds biggest Groilla group, also African elephants, biggest breeding group of Black rhinos in a zoo and many rare species, take a look at their websites

9. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Colchester Zoo's not far-closer than Chester, anyhow. It took about an hour by car from where I live (the N-E-E 'burbs), so i suppose it would take up to two hours from Central London, traffic permitting? Google Maps --> Directions might give you a better idea, unless someone on here has one.

10. Otter Lord

They seem like Open-Range Zoos with large open exhibits? Anyway, I think we'll be using the train most of the time in London or just walking. A car is sort of difficult when you have to pay for parking all the time and traffic sort of defeats the purpose. Anyways, the zoos don't look bad, simplistic exhibits can be pretty humbling and peaceful when you think of it. Their collections are really good too.

11. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Howletts and port lympne parking is free, i can scan and uplode maps, as there is not one on there website anymore

12. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

He just said he won't be taking a car.

13. CZJimmy

be careful about the copyright of that cat-man

14. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

London Zoo, Colchester Zoo, Howletts and Port Lympne can all be reached by publich transport from London with a maximum of 2 hours travel. BUT it needs careful planning (exept London zoo, certainly), be sure to check the timetables in advance and make sure to know when the last bus leaves on the way back! Whipsnade can be reached by public transport too (first train from London, then bus), but it takes a lot of time and pretty complicated. Totally worth the pain, though! I am not sure if Woborn can be visited without your own car.

15. Cat-Man

well it is of a guide book

16. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Colchester zoo do special discounted train deals from london including special buses from the station

Getting here by train

Quote from site

If you wish to travel to Colchester Zoo by train you can now purchase inclusive discounted train travel, City Sightseeing bus transfer and entry to Colchester Zoo! The service runs from 11th April until 31st October 2009.

Please note that bookings need to be made direct at the station with National Express, Colchester Zoo cannot sell you these tickets. For train times go to Journey selection

• Travel on the 0908 train from London (or pick it up at Romford, Stratford, or Shenfield)
    • From West Anglia stations simply change at Stratford.
    • Transfer onto the City Sightseeing bus departing at 10:20 (timed to meet the train) which takes you direct to the Zoo (approx 20 mins ride).
    • Return on the City Sightseeing bus direct to the station at 16:00 and 17:00.

• Ticket includes train travel and admission
    • £25 adult, £14 child from: Chadwell Heath, Cheshunt, Diss, Enfield Lock, Forest Gate, Goodmayes, Ilford, Liverpool St, Manor Park, Maryland, Northumberland Park, Norwich, Seven Kings, Stratford, Tottenham Hale and Waltham Cross.
    • £20 adult, £12 child: Billericay, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Clacton, Frinton, Gidea Park, Harold Wood, Hockley, Ipswich, Prittlewell, Rayleigh, Rochford, Romford, Shenfield, Southend Victoria, Stowmarket, Walton-on-the-Naze and Wickford.

17. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

The Aspinall parks are definately worth the visit they are my top zoos as the way they treat there animals is superb and the motto animals first,people second is to be honest what a zoo should be.
    Howletts is definately worth the visit if you like Tigers,Gorillas and elephants aswell as monkeys and cats it is the perfect place!
    Whipsnade is also worth the visit it has spectacular views and brilliant enclosures.
    I will post more info soon.
    Regards

18. Cat-Man

if you can only pick 2, please pick the aspinall parks

19. CZJimmy

I wouldn't if he's going to be based in London. One should do (probably Lympne) and London should be a must due to it's location

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Most of which are copyright protected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!