Join our zoo community

Zoos' "Behind the Scenes" Policies

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by RatioTile, 20 Dec 2019.

1. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I've been to many zoos and aquariums in North America and Asia, and they've let me behind the scenes at the Bronx Zoo (well, I volunteered there), the Los Angeles Zoo, and the Taipei Zoo, through connections and just asking nicely. However, no Japanese zoo or aquarium has let me behind the scenes to see off-exhibit animals. I'm wondering if it's a convention in Japan for security reasons, or if its cultural, or if it's simply a language barrier (several cases where they get an English-speaking zookeeper to meet me, ask their manager, and deny me entry). Also, due to geographic distance my American and Taiwanese connections can't help me in Japan. Due to being denied behind-the-scenes access, I missed out on seeing Japanese crested ibis, Caspian seal, and Kishinoyue's giant skink. Has anyone successfully gone behind the scenes at a Japanese zoo or aquarium? If so, how did you convince the keepers?

Also, what is the general policy on visiting backstage to see off-exhibit animals in different parts of the world?