Join our zoo community

Zoos in Guangzhou?

Discussion in 'China' started by JamesB, 10 Jun 2013.

1. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi there,

I am currently living in Zhongshan which is about 30 minutes (by train) from Guangzhou, I know there are a few zoos in the city... has anybody been to any of them? Are they worth a visit?

I'm also hoping to go to Hong Kong soon and visit Ocean Park and see some Giant Pandas!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

James

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

wow that's pretty exciting! Why the move, if you want to say (e.g. teaching, family, etc)?

3. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to trip advisor, there are 4 zoos in Guangzhou.
    they are-
    Guangzhou crocodile park
    Guangzhou zoo
    changlong wild zoo
    Xiangjiang safari park

They all look like the stereotype chinese zoo, with animal shows and Tabby and white tigers. Xiangjiang looks the best, Guangzhou looked to have the worst shows, and Changlong had the worst conditions. Of course this is just from the Photos.

I can't find much about the collections though

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I visited Guangzhou Zoo many years ago - about 1993. Then, it was an extraordinary mixture of the truly horrible, the could-be-quite-nice (but wasn't), and the very interesting (great species; dog zoo; goldfish display).

There was a really repugnant circus, with tigers on horseback, and the whole place just rambled.

It was certainly worth seeing - and I suspect that it will be a very different place today.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

6. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi, I have never been to Guangzhou, but from others' photos and information I can certainly tell you Xiangjiang Safari Park is one of the best zoos in China, both of its collection and exhibits are excellent. The collection in Xiangjiang include siamang, silver gibbon, pileated gibbon, west black gibbon, black-shanked douc, purple-faced langur, ebony langur, white-headed langur, golden and Guizhou snub-nosed monkey, Borean pygmy elephant, black rhinoceros, pygmy hippo, koala and many other species that rarely exhibited in China and even world's zoos, and it also has one of the largest display population of giant pandas. It also do well in the breeding of koala, cheetah, black and white rhinoceros, elephant and so on. And from others' photos, it has some of the best exhibits and enrichments in China's zoos.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure of how the Guangzhou Zoo has developed lately.

True to form, the Xiangjiang Safari Park holds the distinction of several first breedings for P.R. of China, including both black and white rhino. In a country notoriously still maintaining most rhinos in pairs the Park has revolutionized their management.

8. JamesB

Thank you for all your replies, really helpful! I will try and fit in Xiangjiang Safari Park if I can. I want to go to the theme park there, so might have to make 2 trips up there.

I am currently teaching in a primary school here, just until July when I head back to the UK to get my degree. Its an amazing country, I would recommend anyone to visit if they have the chance. Its a shame I cant head over to Chengdu and see the real home of Giant Pandas! One day...

9. JamesB

Sorry to bump this thread, does anyone know if there is a species list around for Xiangjiang Safari Park somewhere online? Just wanted to have a look, I will probably go there in the next two weeks.

10. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have not gone to Guangzhou, but I know they at least have following species:
    Chimpanzee, Borneo orangutan, siamang, silver gibbon, pileated gibbon, white-handed gibbon, northern white-cheeked gibbon, western black gibbon, eastern hoolock gibbon, black-shanked douc, Francois's langur, white-headed langur, silver langur, ebony langur, purple-faced langur, golden snub-nosed monkey, Guizhou snub-nosed monkey, lion-tailed macaque, black-crested macaque, bonnet macaque, rhesus macaque, Assam macaque, crab-eating macaque, pig-tailed macaque, hamadryas baboon, mandrill, patas monkey, DeBrazza's guenon, black spider monkey, red howler monkey, black-beard saki, black-capped capuchin, squirrel monkey, golden-headed lion tamarin, red-handed tamarin, Goeldi's marmoset, slow loris, ring-tailed lemur, black-and-white ruff lemur, red ruff lemur, brown lemur, collared brown lemur;
    Bengal tiger, South Chinese tiger, Siberian tiger, leopard, jaguar, lion, cheetah, meerkat, striped hyena, binturong, wolf, giant panda, sun bear, brown bear, Asian black bear, red panda;
    White rhinoceros, black rhinoceros, Malayan tapir, Brazilian tapir, zebra;
    Mainland Asian elephant, Borneo pygmy elephant;
    Hippo, pygmy hippo, golden takin, mouflon, bharal, scimitar-horned oryx, gemsbok, red lechwe, waterbuck, greater kudu, nyala, eland, impala, springbok, wildebeest, white-tailed gnu, blesbok, giraffe, white-lipped deer, dama deer, Pere David's deer, sika deer, red deer, sambar, llama;
    Giant anteater, two-toed sloth;
    Koala, red kangaroo;
    Ostrich, emu, rhea, wattled crane, grey crown crane, demoiselle crane, red-crowned crane, white-naped crane, black necked crane, common crane, saddle-billed stork, marabou, scarlet ibis, Indian hornbill, wreathed hornbill.

11. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

JamesB - did you ever go to Xiangjiang?

Just came across the place - not a fan of the shows, but I'm intrigued by the species list, and the sheer size of the place. On TripAdvisor there are hundreds of positive reviews...though that's as much from the circus-like nature of the park than anything else. Still, seems a lot better than some of the other parks in China. Trying to wrap my head around this place - so if you went, would be interested in your feedback. Thanks!

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I advise you visit both the City Zoo and this commercial wildlife park (Xiangjiang Wildlife Park). For a time, authorities were hell bent on replacing the city funded zoos by these commercial ventures in order to save cash. Fortunately, at a lot of public resistance this was thwarted. This in part also due to the fact the commercial ventures have pretty steep entry fees and particularly so for locals.

13. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks - interesting to hear there's enough of a demand from the public to maintain locally funded zoos. I don't have any immediate plans to be in the area, but would check it out if I find myself there. Was trying to get a sense of whether Xiangjiang was a legitimate zoological institution, or more just a circus.

14. Pandinus

Pandinus New Member

Hi
    I know I am late with the replay
    But the Safari park is one of the best ZOOs that have ever seen!
    I was there 2011 and at that time the numbers of ofspring was extrodinary.
    I would go there again if I had the chans.
    at the time of my wisit they had at least 5 Koala babys, 7 Giant panda babys and loads of red pandas. And then you habe al the cubbs of bigg cats not to forget the monkeys:)

My personal TOP list of ZOOs

1 Singapores animal parks S.E.A, Jurong birdpark, Singapore Zoo, Night safari
    2 Willhelma Stuttgart Germany
    3 Xiangjiang Safari Guanscho China
    4 Walsrode Bird park Germany
    5 Burgers Zoo Arnhem The Netherlands