Join our zoo community

Zoos in the Movies

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Simon Hampel, 7 Feb 2004.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The USA Network show "Psych" has had an episode that featured a zoo and one that featured an aquarium, both supposedly in Santa Barbara but were both in fact filmed at the Vancouver Aquarium.

2. zoofari

zoofari Well-Known Member

original Omen ....windsor safari park also on the On The Buses filmed there, Dalziel and Pascoe at Riber castle

3. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Many tv shows have used the Los Angeles Zoo for backdrops:Hart to Hart, Murder She Wrote, Dr. in the zoo, are just a few that come to mind. Clint Eastwood's Every which way but loose spent 2 days filming and the scenes were deleted. Hero with Dustin Hoffman. I know that several others were filmed here.

4. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

The LA Zoo is also used for commercials. I just saw the new Chase commercial with the lion. The weird thing is that they show a lion in the Gorilla bachelor group exhibit. I wonder if the lion is CGI...the lion does look very realistic.

5. Michael

I just saw the same one. The lion has to be CGI, but they did a great job. Over the years, many commercials were filmed there, I remember a Bank of America one from 1976. Another movie that had a few scenes there was Dragnet with Tom Hanks & Dan Ackroyd.There was also a short lived tv series with Lindsey Wagner and Tom Wopat. She was the director and Wopat was the curator.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Detroit Zoo has supporting role in feature film - WSJ.com

7. Michael

I just remembered an episode of the Mod Squad was filmed in the early 70's. They were being chased by a white rhino.

8. Bonxie

Bonxie Member 10+ year member

Sixties movie "Ring of Bright Water" features a scene in London Zoo. I distinctly remember a Maned Wolf ( very rare back then ) being shown.

9. cleusk

cleusk Well-Known Member

There was a funny movie called Scavenger Hunt. Throughout the film, a "team" would visit the San Diego Zoo to steal an ostrich.

10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has anybody seen the movie "Arabesque" with Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren? Part of it takes place in London Zoo circa 1966.

There is a scene in "The Graduate" in the San Francisco Zoo.

11. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

At least someone finally recognized the BBC show Primeval!:) They show a lot of scenes from the zoo in the episode with the future predator, including Abby feeding the Asian elephants while being stalked by the predator, a scene in the elephant house when the predator is climbing above the elephants and stalking Abby's boss, Abby and Stephen hiding from the predator in the sea lion's underwater viewing gallery and Helen and Claudia Brown in the Bactrian camel's indoor quarters. Love that show and love how they got a lot of the zoo int it!!

12. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Did anyone see last night's episode of Mr and Mrs Murder on Channel 10 (Australia)? I know it's not a movie, but.... all the zoo scenes were filmed last year at Werribee Zoo. I happened to be at the zoo on one of the days they were filming, and I got a pic with Sean Micallef (the male protagonist).

Anyway, see if this link to view the episode works for you: Full Episodes & Videos | Channel Ten

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Don't have a TV yet, but will watch this (and last night's episode of Glee - did you watch that too nanoboy?) online tonight. I thought Werribee was brilliant, should be good to see it again on this show.

14. nanoboy

I have never watched an episode of Glee. I don't watch TV shows that paint underage school girls as sex objects. ;) Was Glee set in a zoo? :p

The murder-mystery series is really cheesy and lame. It was great to see the zoo, the safari huts, and back of house areas. That really was the cheetah night enclosure, by the way. The zebra-striped vehicle really is the vehicle that takes you around the savannah (if you pay a little extra). If you have visited the zoo, then make sure and watch the episode before they take it off the website.

15. zooboy28

I have never viewed the Glee girls as sex objects, how rude.

I have visited Werribee, as you will recall from reading my account on this thread: https://www.zoochat.com/community/posts/664751 (see Day #53 for details). I'm going to watch that episode now.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  16. nanoboy

It wasn't directed at you as I know you wouldn't, but that's what the show does nonetheless. There was a recent photo shoot with one of the girl's that got a fair bit of flak. Glee's Diana Agron Apologises For Sexy Photo Shoot - The Hot Hits

TV shows set in high-school just aren't my thing.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. nanoboy

Yes, I read that post. It sounds like you enjoyed it. You should recognise many sites.

According to the protagonist, lions and tigers are not found on the same continent. :D

Also, the show suggests that there are elephants at the zoo (which there aren't).

18. zooboy28

Well I watched it, and laughed at the terrible writing, but it was still cool to see the zoo like that. I noticed the elehant trumpets throughout the show, but I guess thats not really an error, as it wasn't actually supposed to be Werribee but a different zoo. I recognised the police detective guy from Mcleods Daughters.

Worth watching, thanks for posting about it.

19. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

There was a TV series in the 70's called Catch Kandy that was filmed at Taronga Zoo; in the 80's Zoo Family was set in Melbourne Zoo; and although not a zoo, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo was filmed at Waratah Park which went on to become a privately owned fauna park.

The opening titles of the second and third series of Man About the House were filmed in a zoo (I'm guessing London), and episode of New Tricks was set in a zoo and centred around a keeper mauled by a tiger. A recent episode of New Girl was partially filmed in a zoo (I'm guessing LA).

:p

Hix

20. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was just about to type that, just watched an episode on TV... :p