Join our zoo community

Zoos in the Movies

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Simon Hampel, 7 Feb 2004.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I vaguely remember seeing Cinema hordings for this film though I did not see it.

Two other mainstream films, both from the 1960's, I remember that feature Zoos were 'Morgan, A Suitable Case for Treatment', starring David Warner. An early scene was filmed in the London Zoo Monkey House. And 'Hannibal Brooks' starring Oliver Reed, early scenes shot in Munich Zoo as it was about an Elephant supposedly led across the Alps during wartime. Apparently its based at least in part on a true story about an elephant rescued from Vienna Zoo.

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Pertinax likes this.
  3. Pertinax

You can see how they choreographed this for the filming, letting 'Guy' come in from outside so he was active and posing for the camera/film.

I remember those talking information boxes too. Was that Desmond Morris' voice or somebody else?

4. Tim May

The original ones definitely featured the voice of Desmond Morris although I believe the later ones were voiced by somebody else.

5. Pertinax

This doesn't sound like Morris- I can still envisage his voice from 'Zootime' etc.

6. Tim May

I agree; the voice in the film doesn't sound like Desmond Morris to me either but the early "talking labels" were by him.

I'm not sure if this is actually a recording of one of the "talking labels" anyway.

7. Pertinax

Yes, I can remember Desmond Morris's voice on them. I agree in the film this may not be the actual recording either.

8. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks @Chlidonias, I'm pretty sure that's the one. I'll have to try and find a copy.

9. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Tim May

Indeed; the old (built 1927) Monkey House at London Zoo had glass in front of the great ape exhibits. I am sure that the gibbon shot wasn't at London Zoo!

11. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good Luck Chuck had some scenes shot at the Vancouver Aquarium.

The Cetacean Institute in Star Trek IV was shot at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

According to the Buffy Wikia, the Sunnydale Zoo scenes were shot at the Santa Ana Zoo.

Animated example: the Marine Life Institute in Finding Dory was heavily based on the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I went to see Star Wars, I saw an ad for a movie called Every Day. It looked like there were some scenes shot in an aquarium. Not sure which one.

13. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

A forgotten 1933 classic, is Zoo in Budapest. Not sure if I'm biased by the subject matter given my usual preference for darker fare, but I thought it delightful, and many people find the setting and main character charming. At the very least, it has been described as unusual enough to slip through the Hollywood net of cliches, whilst still delivering such familiar elements as a love story.

Zoo in Budapest (1933) - Reference View - IMDb
    Zoo in Budapest - Wikipedia

14. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Split, where a character works at Philadelphia Zoo.

15. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In Jurassic World (2015), the baby dinosaur petting zoo was filmed in the elephant exhibit at the Honolulu Zoo on Oahu, Hawaii. Fun Fact: This was also the first scene ever filmed for the movie.
    [​IMG]

In 50 First Dates (2004), Adam Sandler's character, Henry Roth, works at Sea Life Park on Oahu, Hawaii. The scenes by the dolphin tank and with the Hawaiian monk seal were actually filmed at Sea Life Park, but the scenes with the walruses and the the shark tank were filmed at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, California.
    [​IMG]

In Old Dogs (2009), a film staring John Travolta and Robin Williams, scenes were filmed at the "Amazon's Edge" exhibit at Santa Ana Zoo in Santa Ana, California.
    [​IMG]

Parts of Rampage (2018) were filmed at Zoo Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia.
    [​IMG]

Parts of Clint Eastwood's True Crime (1999) takes place at the Oakland Zoo.
    [​IMG]

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) briefly takes place in the Sn Francisco Zoo and a few of those scenes where actually filmed there. (I couldn't find a picture of one of those scenes)

Also, parts of the second episode of the old The Incredible Hulk TV show, "The Beast Within" (1978), were filmed at the L.A. Zoo in Los Angeles, California.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Nov 2018
  16. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

off the top of my head, the following had scenes at Central Park zoo:
    Marathon Man (Dustin Hoffman)
    Eraser (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
    The Day After Tomorrow -most of the zoo scenes were not filmed at the zoo,but the sea lion shown was

Hipporex likes this.
  17. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that the zoo scenes were filmed at the old closed zoo in Stanley Park in Vancouver.

18. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@DavidBrown[/USER] The scenes where they show the chimp exhibit probably were filmed in Canada however, there is one, very brief, couple second aerial shot where the apes can be seen running through the San Francisco zoo's front entrance. As I said this clip is only a couple of seconds and thus is forgettable. Watch this video below and at about 00:27 to 00:34 you can see the main entrance of the SF Zoo.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2018
  19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hipporex is correct, if you compare the scene to satellite views of the San Francisco Zoo, it is obvious the buildings and path match perfectly. You can also briefly see the giraffe viewing platform and part of the African savanna.

Hipporex likes this.
  20. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Killer Whales in Film/TV
    * Jaws 3 (1983)(SeaWorld Orlando) featured Kona 2, Kahana and Kotar (all now deceased)
    * Tentacles (1977) (Marineland of the Pacific) featured Orky 2 (deceased) and Corky 2
    * Mary Kate and Ashley Shamu Adventure (Kalina (deceased)) and Mary Kate and Ashley Shark Adventure (Taima (deceased)) were both filmed at SeaWorld Orlando
    * Analyse This (1999) (Miami Seaquarium) featured Lolita
    * Phil the Alien (2004) (Marineland Ontario) featured Kiska and Hudson (deceased)
    * Free Willy (1993) (Reino Aventura) featured Keiko (deceased) and Free Willy 3 (1997) (Vancouver Aquarium) featured Finna, Bjossa and K'yosha (all deceased)
    * Orca: The Killer Whale (1977) (MarineWorld Redwood City and Marineland of the Pacific) featured Nepo, Yaka, Kianu (all deceased) and Orky 2 (deceased) and Corky 2
    * The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (2004) (Marineland Antibes) featured Valentin (deceased)
    * Moon-Warriors (1992) (Ocean Park Hong Kong) featured Hoi Wai (deceased)
    * Keiko en Peligro (1989) (Reino Aventura) featured Keiko (deceased)
    * Orca-Fighters (1987) (Marineland Ontario) featured Kiska
    * Dr Dolittle 2 (2001) (SeaWorld San Diego) featured Kasatka (deceased), Takara and Keet
    * Rust and Bone (2012) (Marineland Antibes) featured Valentin (deceased) (originally planned to use Freya but she (apparently) did not like Marion Cotillard and refused to cooperate with her so they used her son, Val instead)
    * WildBoyz (2005) (Mundo Marino) featured Kshamenk
    * Brilliant Creatures (?) (Marineland Antibes) featured Sharkane, Freya, Valentin and Kim 2 (all deceased) as well as the frst zoo vet, David Taylor, giving instructions on how to take blood from a killer whale (Kim 2)