Join our zoo community

Zoos in the Movies

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Simon Hampel, 7 Feb 2004.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

There is a good and intelligent horror film from the 1980's called "Wolfen" which features the Central Park or Bronx zoo.

I can't say it is basically about werewolves as it doesn't really fit that genre though obviously it's very Wolfy / lupine and does feature attacks / blood / gore (including an attack on a character that was obviously modelled on Trump which is wonderful).

It stars Edward Olmos and Albert Finney who both give pretty solid performances but Olmos is the one who really steals the show.

Probably the most intriguing thing about it though is the way it has themes of both ecology and anthropology at the heart of the story without being too preachy.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2021
  2. ChIkEn NuGrEt

ChIkEn NuGrEt Well-Known Member

I'm unsure if you knew, but the scenes featuring the fictional "Cetacean Institute" were filmed at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

birdsandbats likes this.
  3. ChIkEn NuGrEt

ChIkEn NuGrEt Well-Known Member

This has probably already been posted here, but when I was a kid I loved watching Zookeeper, I'm too bored to write my own synopsis so I copied the first summary I found "Kindhearted Griffin Keyes (Kevin James) is one of the best-loved caretakers at the Franklin Park Zoo, but since he is more comfortable with the animals than with females of his own species, his love life is lacking. When Griffin decides that the only way to get a girlfriend is to find a more-glamorous career, the animals panic. To keep him from leaving, they reveal their secret ability to talk and offer to teach him the rules of courtship, animal style." The film featured quite a few notable actors, but I haven't watched it since I was about five or six, so I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  4. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Typical B-tier Kevin James film. Weird that they filmed at Franklin Park Zoo but features grey wolves, brown bears, and an Asian elephant, which are not currently at the zoo nor were they at the time of filming

evilmonkey239 and ChIkEn NuGrEt like this.
  5. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know which zoo appears in the Netflix film “White Tiger” ?

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe it is Delhi Zoo. It looked familiar to me having been there some long time ago + that's where most of the rest of the film takes place I believe?

carlos55 likes this.
  7. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

BBC series Prehistoric Park (2006) shows an unnamed reserve-like facility in South Africa, with tame African elephants and a pool with Nile crocodiles. Merged with CGI prehistoric animals.

Apparently the Monterey Bay Aquarium had a problem because many visitors wanted to see real whales there.

Hipporex and ChIkEn NuGrEt like this.
  8. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

I loved that show, for dinosaur obsessed little me it was my favorite thing to watch.

9. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've never watched it so I don't know how it fits into the plot, but the film The Black Panther, from 1977, contains a short clip of Dudley zoo.

upload_2021-7-16_12-11-24.png

(26:50)

Brum likes this.
  10. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know the UK zoo that appears at 0:54 in this program.

11. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo featured in Wolfen is the Central Park Zoo: Filming Locations for Wolfen (1981), in New York.

The zoo scenes in Eraser were set at the Central Park Zoo but they were actually shot in sets on a sound stage: Eraser (film) - Wikipedia

CPZ was also the zoo featured in Peter Jackson's King Kong: Peter Jackson’s King Kong Was A Beautiful, Messy Tragedy - Den of Geek

As mentioned above, CPZ was also the zoo featured in Miracle on 34th St., The Day After Tomorrow, Hitch, and Marathon Man.

There was a scene in Altered States that was supposed to be taking place at an unidentified Boston Zoo but was in fact filmed at the Bronx Zoo, in what is now the Ethiopian Highlands exhibit.

IMDB lists ten shows with Bronx Zoo settings: Filming Location Matching "Bronx Zoo, Bronx, New York City, New York, USA" (Sorted by Popularity Ascending) - IMDb

Here are a couple of lists of movies with Central Park Zoo settings:
    Filming Location Matching "Central Park Zoo, Central Park, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA" (Sorted by Popularity Ascending) - IMDb
    MovieMaps

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Someone really needs to do a "Zoos in literature" thread.

13. Gomphothere

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

15. Gomphothere

The first link is to a thread on zoochat.

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yep I see that now but it is about a particular genre of fiction books whereas I'm thinking of a thread on all fictional genres and non fiction (books not about zoos but with memorable chapters that feature them).

17. Gomphothere

Wow, would be interesting but would cover a lot of ground.

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

The more ground to cover the merrier.

It's a subject of zoos in popular culture so why not

19. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

There is a brief scene set in the Berlin Zoo, c. 1860 right at the end of the new series about whaling on the BBC, The North Water. Worth a look and the show is great generally too.

twilighter likes this.
  20. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Has anyone else seen the 1933 "Murders in the Zoo"? It's a surprisingly violent movie for its era, leading to it being banned in some countries shortly after its release. Most notable is it's large wild cat fight scene at the end, featuring several species of big cat in a free-for-all.