Join our zoo community

zoos in the south east

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Teddy Dalton, 5 Jul 2016.

1. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

Me and my girlfriend are going to be visiting some zoos in the southeast, flying into stanstead and staying in ashford, the zoos we are visiting are port lympe, howletts and wildlife heritage foundation. we have a 4th day free are there any other places in the area you would recommend? ideally within 40-50 miles of ashford or on the way between stanstead and ashford.
    Thanks.

2. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

maybe wingham wildlife park?

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are you hiring a car or going by train?

4. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not on the way but if your flying in to stanstead it would be a shame not to visit London or Colchester. Both really big, interesting and diverse collections.

5. pipaluk

Reason for my question. If hiring a car, I would suggest Colchester, 90 minutes from Ashford then about an hour from Stansted Airport, not easy without a car though

6. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Members of the Independent Zoo Enthusiasts' Society visited The Wildwood Trust, near Canterbury, last year. It has an interesting collection of European animals, including moose and active weasels. It also takes an active role in conservation by breeding and releasing water voles.

7. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Stanstead Linton colchester Shepreth Paradise wildlife park , london , Hamerton plenty of choice

8. pipaluk

Wildwood & Wingham are both good suggestions, which can easily be added on to one of the others in summer (if you have a car) as neither are really a full day visit.

9. Teddy Dalton

we're hiring a car, thanks for the suggestions, colchester is near enough to both so seems the best option, we'll probably go there the day we fly in so. we'd like to not do london zoo simply because I'd like to do both zsl locations on the same trip, maybe we'll do a london trip and see the both of those and the natural history museum too some other time.

10. Teddy Dalton

Just to update this thread, we ended up going to colchester, we had a great time there as well as both the aspinall facilities and the whf big cat sanctuary :)