Join our zoo community

Zoos in the subtropics

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 4 May 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

It seems that my favourite zoos world-wide are those neat and tidy zoos located in subtropics, like most Spanish, Italian, Portugese zoos, zoos in Greece (like Trikala zoo - not realy a zoo, or Attica) zoos in Israel (like Ramat-Gan), and of corse zoos in California, Arizona, Texas, or Argentina & South Africa, and last but not least, Australian zoos (and maybe New Zeland - but they have strange prehistoric-look like vegetation :p ). Subtropics, but not in the driest places like deserts, nor in the wettest almost tropical areas (Florida, Queensland), but some transition between them, like submediterranean terrain like in Madrid Spain or central to southern Italy, mostly between 30 to 42 degrees Northern or Southern latitude.

I will mention Madrid zoo and aquarium like example.

They can offer great facilities for keeping animals in outdoor enclosures durring most part of the year, and particularly for reptiles exposed to natural sunlights. They also leave very positive, greeny to yellow-greeny and brightly sunny impression.

What do you think? Do you have some particular type of zoos that are your favourite (in respect to climate, vegetation, soil, not animals kept)?

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Since you haven't been to most if any of these zoos in person, how do you know you actually that these are actually your favourite zoos?

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Indirectly, looking at their pictures, videos...

It is not the same; for example, to be honest, Tierpark Hellabrunn appeared more interesting on pictures, videos, than in person when I visited the park last year. It was nothing spectacular though (don't understand me wrong, it is nice and modern zoo, and I mostly liked their chimpanzees indoor enclosures and waste outdoor enclosures for most hoofed animals).

Last edited: 4 May 2016
  4. Nikola Chavkosk

I was inspired for this thread, from the thread of Hyena girl (zoochatter) about Madrid aquarium and zoo, and good description about the zoo.

5. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

It's not in the subtropics, but a zoo that I recently visited and really liked "in respect to climate, vegetation, soil, not animals kept" was Nairobi Safari Walk in Kenya.
    It is managed by the Kenyan Wildlife Service, and is located directly next to Nairobi National Park so it has the vegetation of the park as well as lots of wild species free-roaming around the zoo including Baboons, Ochre Bush Squirrels, and a wide variety of birds. Also, the zoo keeps only native Kenyan species (with the exception of a Pygmy Hippo) so the climate is ideal for the species they keep.

I posted quite a few pictures in the 'Kenya-Other' gallery, and a full walkthrough in my trip thread from February in the Kenya forum if you would like more details.

6. Nikola Chavkosk

That must have been a great trip; Certantly I will see the photos in the gallery.

7. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

and that’s precisely the point I wanted to make. I rest my case.:D

8. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Northern Argentina that borders with Brazil is subtropical, las pampas where Buenos Aires is located is more temperate, and Patagonia is quite cold. Zoos in Argentina face constant budget problems.
    My favorite zoo in Mexico is in a subtropical area, it is Zoologico Miguel Alvarez del Toro, or Zoomat as everyone calls it. It is in Tuxtla Guiterrez, Chiapas. Only exhibits regional fauna and breeds everything from quetzals to grisons. All set in a lovely forest with many free ranging animals. There is no more lovely place in Mexico than Zoomat. Check out the gallery. Xcaret park near Cancun also has very nice setting with some interesting animal exhibits but the prices are expensive.

9. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you for sugestion, I will see photos in the gallery, so Zoomat let see you.

But Carloss55 these places are really tropical, they are not subtropical.

Last edited: 5 May 2016