Join our zoo community

Zoos of Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 25 Dec 2010.

1. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member

I visited waterways a number of times. A number of exhibits could have done with some improvements but it was quite a nice park to visit and cost only $4 per person the last time I visited in 2015

4. Chlidonias

Waterways Wildlife Park has been added to the forum prefixes, so now there is a link to threads and the gallery (with two and a bit pages of photos).
    Waterways Wildlife Park (Closed) Forums
    Waterways Wildlife Park (Closed) - Photo Galleries | ZooChat

MRJ likes this.
  5. Chlidonias

6. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Have just come across a bird park I have never heard of before, and not listed at the beginning of the thread. It is located on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland and I came across it in a travel magazine that crossed my desk. Description is from the magazine.

Maleny Botanical Gardens & Bird World

The guided aviary walk allows kids to meet colourful and exotic birds from more than 60 countries. Meet the black cockatoo on an endless quest for romance, exotic macaws, colourful parrots, and many other feathered friends that will alight on your head and shoulders and feed from your hand.

According to their website the Aviary has been open since 2013, and combined admission to the aviary and gardens is $31.

Maleny Botanic Gardens | An Unforgettable Experience

Chlidonias likes this.
  7. Chlidonias

Photos of the aviary on this page: The Aviary has officially opened! Check out the before & after shots & enquire at entry for tours. - Maleny Botanic Gardens

8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Have come across another tiny "zoo":
    Warracknabeal Lions Flora and Fauna Park
    An article in their local paper from late last year reports that they received 2 KI kangaroos and 2 redneck wallabies from Halls Gap Zoo. The article only came to my attention because it also mentions we received 2 KI's from Halls Gap. For those that don't know. Warracknabeal is a small town in Victoria's wheat belt, not on the way to anywhere and the only tourism attraction being a farm machinery museum. It/s most famous son is probably Nic Cave.

Chlidonias likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

I'll add that one in as well. They seem to have mostly domestics (goats, guinea pigs, etc) but also aviaries, emus, and these new kangaroos and wallabies. It seems that last year their kangaroos were killed by dogs, so the ones from Halls Gap will be replacing those.

MRJ likes this.
  10. Chlidonias

11. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

I visited a "zoo" yesterday at the Sandstone Point Hotel. I don't know if it can be counted as a zoo but I figured I would post about it on Zoochat because some people on here consider even smaller collections as Zoos such as the Launceston Park Monkey Enclosure. The zoo is tiny and is situated inside a plaground. The entire zoo consists of three enclosures. The zoo is free and is run by the Sandstone Point Hotel.

Here's the species list:
    Domestic Chickens
    Gueina Fowl (Free Ranging)
    Muscovy Duck
    Blue and Gold Macaw

Domestic Sheep
    Domestic Goats

12. Chlidonias

Not really one for the list but interesting to know about nonetheless. On the New Zealand zoo list I modified it quite recently to include all public animal collections (i.e. even including solely domestic collections such as farm parks), but I think that would be too large a scope for Australia.

13. animal_expert01

That's what I thought would be the case but I figured the inclusion of the blue and gold Macaw may change the classification of this animal collection.

14. animal_expert01

Today I came across a portable bird cage that also acts as a photo booth (or at least that's how I would describe it) in Surfers Paradise. I have attached a photo off of the internet to give you an idea of what it looked like.

I talked to the man and woman who ware running it and they said they have a large avairy located at 32 Cavil Avenue called Naturepet oz (strange name IMO but, who am I to judge). Although I did not visit the main establishment I was told there are around 25 individual birds, mostly macaws but several amazons as well. In the portable bird cage there was around nine individual birds including a buffons Macaw, a blue and gold Macaw, several hybrids, several green winged macaws and a hynactih macaw!

Apparently they have a pair of hynacith macaws (the one I saw and another one presumably back at the aviary). They also said that he knows of around 30 hynacith macaws in private hands in Australia!

You can pay to have your photo taken inside the portable bird cage with the macaws on your shoulder and it seemed to be very popular with tourists despite the high price. I was told that the birds taken out in the portable bird cage were swapped each day with other birds back at the aviary.

I am posting about this on this thread because I believe this establishment to be a likely candidate for the Australian Zoo List.

Attached Files:

15. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

There’s a bird park up in Broome called 12 Mile Bird Park if you wanna add that to the list. (12milebirdpark.com.au)

16. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member Premium Member

animal_expert01 likes this.
  17. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

A new wildlife park opened this week. Taraga Wildlife Park is located at Taraga NSW, which is west of Mittagong and north of Goulburn. No website or Facebook page yet.

18. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

Taralga, not Taraga. Should be interesting - it's a great little town to visit with lots of history. Will have to check it out!

19. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Newspaper article announcing opening:
    Wildlife park takes Taralga by storm | Photos

20. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member Premium Member