Join our zoo community

Zoos of New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 5 Jan 2008.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

I've made a complete rework of the list in the original post of this thread.

There are two major differences now.

Firstly I have decided to add in farm parks and petting zoos to the list (previously I had left off anything which was solely composed of domestic animals). I did this as I felt like the list would be of more general use (to anybody who comes across it, not just Zoochatters) if it simply included all places where one could go to see animals. There are loads of farm parks around New Zealand so there will still be many missing. I'll just be randomly adding them as I come across them.

Secondly (partly because of the above) I have divided the list into categories: Zoos; Native Wildlife; Bird Collections and Aviaries; Aquariums; Butterfly Houses; Museums with live animals; and Farm Parks and Petting Zoos. This means that it is easy to see places of specific interest (e.g. native wildlife) and also caters to those people who like to protest "that's not a zoo".

The full list (arranged north to south) is still there also, after the section where the collections are divided by category, for anyone wanting to see where all the zoos are in relation to one another. At some point I might even make a Google map like the one devilfish made for the UK.

The Closed Zoos section is still right at the bottom as well.

Giant Panda and ZooBoyNZ like this.
  2. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

3. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member

Which South island wildlife centres would be best to see/photograph native birds?? Also any recommended walk-through aviaries??

4. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member

Lindale almost certainly no longer has animals. Lindale Farm closed down in early 2015, and most of the animals were subsequently re-homed. The now-disused 'Te Nikau Cafe' Facebook page indicates that Lindale still had some animals in September 2017, but in the same month, the still-active 'The Lindale Village' Facebook page made its last post about having animals. Additionally, the 'Lindale Barnyard' link in the OP no longer works, and the rest of the Lindale Village website does not mention having an attraction with animals anywhere. Finally, the most recent review of Lindale on Tripadvisor (from March 2019) mentions that Lindale no longer has animals.

Also, The Bushmans Centre closed down last year.

This facility is possibly worth adding to the OP: Animal Park — WALNUT RANCH