Join our zoo community

Zoos of Peninsula Malaysia

Discussion in 'Malaysia' started by Giant Panda, 19 Dec 2016.

Tags:
  1. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've finally got around to compiling the mainland companion piece to my Zoos of East Malaysia thread. Further input is welcome, of course.

Kuala Lumpur (Federal Territory):
    Aquaria KLCC
    Blue Coral Aquarium
    KL Tower Mini Zoo
    Kuala Lumpur Bird Park
    Kuala Lumpur Butterfly Park
    Kuala Lumpur Deer Park

Johor:
    Johor Zoo
    Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm

Kedah:
    Animal Adventures
    Crocodile Adventureland
    Langkawi Nature Park
    Langkawi Wildlife Park
    UnderWater World Langkawi

Kelantan:
    Kuala Krai Mini Zoo

Malacca:
    A'Famosa Animal World Safari
    Malacca Bird Park
    Malacca Butterfly and Reptile Sanctuary
    Malacca Crocodile Farm
    Malacca Zoo
    Padang Kemunting Turtle Management Centre
    The Shore Oceanarium

Pahang:
    Bukit Gambang Safari Park
    Cameron Highlands Butterfly Farm
    Cherating Turtle Sanctuary
    Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary
    Lipis Zoo
    Taman Teruntum Mini Zoo

Penang:
    Aviary Ginger Garden
    Entopia: Penang Butterfly Farm
    Fisheries Department Research Institute Aquarium
    Penang Bird Park
    Penang Snake Temple

Perak:
    Bukit Merah Laketown Ecopark
    Bukit Merah Orangutan Island
    Lost World Petting Zoo
    Segari Turtle Management Centre
    Taiping Zoo

Perlis:
    Snake and Reptile Farm

Putrajaya:
    Putrajaya Taman Wetland (Putrajaya Wetland Park)

Selangor:
    99 Wonderland Park
    Batu Caves Mini Zoo
    Farm In The City
    Freshwater Fish Park
    Negara Zoo
    Sunway Lagoon Wildlife Park

Terengganu:
    Kemaman Recreation Park and Mini Zoo
    Sungai Ketiar Elephant Sanctuary

Negeri Sembilan:
    PD Ostrich Show Farm

Closed Zoos:
    Saleng Zoo (Johor)
    Danga Bay Mini Zoo (Johor)
    Langkawi Snake Sanctuary (Kedah)
    Coral Wonderland (Malacca)
    Aquarium Fish Exhibition (Penang)
    Bukit Jambul Orchid, Hibiscus and Reptile Farm (Penang)

Total "zoos" in Peninsula Malaysia: 48
    Total "zoos" in Malaysia: 65

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Feb 2019
    snowleopard likes this.
  2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Great list, quite a lot of zoos really! Did not know that Zoo Negara is not within the federal territory of KL!

I've visited a few of the KL attractions: KL Bird Park, KL Butterfly Park, Aquaria KLCC and Zoo Negara. I didn't know of the other KL ones you list, nor the ones presumably within greater KL city in Selangor. The only additional snippet of information I can add is that there was a small animal attraction at the Batu Caves (Selangor), and, although I did not visit it, I could see some birds and I think there were fish there too.

3. Giant Panda

Thanks. I found some recent photos online, so Batu Caves Mini Zoo has been added to the list. I'll be bat-hunting in the caves before too long and will endeavour to visit.

zooboy28 likes this.
  4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I walked past it without any inclination to enter. It's a shoddy looking place, all under one corrugated iron roof. I think there are probably some monkeys there as well. But I suppose if you're there for days it might be worth it.

5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Thanks for yet another valuable thread.
    I'd also suggest adding Penang snake temple; a Buddhist temple with a large enclosure for temple (/Wagler's) pit vipers, with a small collection of snakes (paid entry) also on site. It's very close to Penang airport so it's worth a quick look if you're swinging past.

6. Giant Panda

Thanks. I can't edit the list anymore; perhaps a moderator can add it?

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there is also a small bird collection on Penang Hill called the Aviary Ginger Garden, belonging to the Bellevue Hotel. It is a paid attraction (five Ringgits), although hotel guests have free entry.

Giant Panda likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

this appears to have closed down, as per a recent mention on Tripadvisor (31 March 2017). Do you want me to add (closed) to it, or remove it from the list?

Sadly it has closed down
    My boyfriend and I went last week and sadly this establishment has closed down. The place was shut and locked up with no signage or any sign of it being there at all so we asked a local street food seller who kindly helped us and explained they had gone out of business. It might be worth still trying to give them a call just in case they were closed as it was the school holidays or they have relocated - not that I don't believe the seller by any means but it's always worth a go.

Aquarium Fish Exhibition (George Town, Malaysia): Top Tips Before You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

9. Chlidonias

I was just looking at this place on Google. I didn't even know it existed, and it is literally right next door to the mangrove reserve Kuala Selangor Taman Alam, to which I've been three or four times!

10. Giant Panda

@Chlidonias: You're the mod; feel free to delete as you see fit :)

11. Chlidonias

I don't mess around with lists of other people without asking first (or being asked). I'll delete it if that's the option you prefer. Or I could move it to the bottom of the list in a separate "closed" section? That's what I like to do with my zoo and zoo-animal lists when entries are removed.

12. Giant Panda

Yeah, I'm happy to add a "Closed" section. It's certainly not an exhaustive list, but these are the other closed zoos I excluded:

Bukit Jambul Orchid, Hibiscus and Reptile Farm
    Coral Wonderland
    Langkawi Snake Sanctuary
    Saleng Zoo
    Danga Bay Mini Zoo?

Chlidonias likes this.
  13. Chlidonias

I added those for you.

I found a couple of references to the Danga Bay Mini Zoo having been raided and closed down in 2011, one saying 132 animals had been removed and sent elsewhere.

I also found this ZooCheck document from 2010 which lists the ten worst zoos in Malaysia, most of which are still open (already on your list). There's a Dickson Mini Zoo in Negeri Sembilan on the list which is still open as well, but now it is a petting farm (ostriches, camels, goats, rabbits, etc) called the PD Ostrich Show Farm. From comments by the manager on Tripadvisor they are actively trying to not be referred to as a "mini zoo", presumably to distance themselves from the past.
    http://www.zoocheck.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/MalaysiaZooReport2010.pdf

14. Chlidonias

A new zoo opened on Langkawi Island in January this year with, according to their media, eighty species of wild animals. Pictured species include Brown Bear, Lion, Leopard Cat, Malayan Tapir, Caracal, Chimpanzee, Zebra, etc etc.

Website: Langkawi Nature Park | Geoforest | Mangrove | Wildlife
    Facebook: Langkawi Nature Park

From Google maps it seems to be almost-literally right next door to the Langkawi Wildlife Park.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which of these are worth visiting? Yes I'm planning to squeeze some time to KL in next year, I suppose I can only have 3 days in there.
    I suppose KL bird park and Negara, but how about the others?Any basic informations?

16. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I would prioritise Zoo Negara over any other KL zoos, but if you've got time for the bird park you may as well check it out. I also visited the Aquaria KLCC, which is worth a visit if you are in the area and don't have much else to do.

17. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I suppose Malacca and Taiping is ok for a day trip(Not penang, too far). Any notable zoo there?And the question:Which is better, Taiping Zoo or Zoo Negara....or even Zoo Melaka?

18. Chlidonias

KL to Penang is about 4 or 5 hours so not a day-trip (I really like the Penang Bird Park, but not so much that I would recommend it as a day-trip from KL!).

KL to Taiping is about four hours as well. Again, I wouldn't recommend it as a day-trip because of how long the bus ride is.

You'd be better off doing those zoos as 1) bus to Penang and visit the bird park; 2) bus the next morning to Taiping and visit the zoo; 3) bus back to KL the next morning. (Or reverse 1 and 2).

KL to Melaka is only about two or three hours. I don't know the state of the Melaka Zoo now - it changed from great to terrible between my visits; I think it is now in the middle. But the Butterfly Park was great and should still be so. If you're flying into Malaysia, then KL and Melaka are about equal distance from the airport and there are direct buses to both.

Zoo Negara and Taiping Zoo are different and not really comparable. Taiping Zoo is certainly one of the best in Asia but Zoo Negara is larger and (realistically) easier for you to visit.

19. GregOz

GregOz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you are going to Taiping Zoo, you can also visit Bukit Merah lake town. Not great but if you are in the area.

Similarly if you are visiting Melaka you can drop by A’Famosa Safari. Along time since I was there and some really horrific bits (civets, squirrels, macaques, animal photos) but from memory a couple of ok bits too.

Greg

20. Chlidonias

I just came across a place called Putrajaya Taman Wetland (i.e. Putrajaya Wetland Park) which is a wetland reserve and not a zoo, but it has a flamingo pool containing flamingoes, ducks, swans, and pelicans. They also seem to have some aquarium fish (as part of their educational/museum displays about wetlands).

While looking at its location on Google Maps (it is right below Kuala Lumpur) I noticed another little zoo called Farm In The City (located in Selangor but only 4km in a direct line from Taman Wetland). It is labelled as a "petting zoo" but a look on their website shows such exotics as raccoons, meerkats, otters, porcupines, and fennecs.

Under "things to do" it lists "Feed and interact with Giant Tortoise Species; Chance to interact with more than 100 species of tame and exotic animals; Be amazed with more than 100 Malaysian birds in free-flight; Summon thousands of Koi fish by ringing a bell."

There is a page on their website for the KL Tower Mini Zoo, so they might be owned by the same people?

Giant Panda likes this.