Join our zoo community

Zoos of Peninsula Malaysia

Discussion in 'Malaysia' started by Giant Panda, 19 Dec 2016.

Tags:
  1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

And another place in Selangor - just near to Batu Caves - which only opened in March 2018 - 99 Wonderland Park
    99 Wonderland Park - Malaysia Asia Travel Blog

It has a range of animals including birds, sambar, mara, marmosets, meerkats, farm animals, etc.

Curiously, the opening hours are listed on that page as 6pm to 9.30pm.

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Look into Farm in the city before. They have a dik dik!

Chlidonias likes this.
  3. Chlidonias

That's cool!

Photo posted on their Facebook page in September 2018 here: Farm In The City 城の农场

4. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks all of you for advice. However, my only zoo visit will be Negara and KL bird park.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello,
    Which places are worth visiting in Kuala Lumpur - Melaka area? I am interested in mammals and birds difficult to see elsewhere, especially native Malaysian species not found in Europe. So things like the flat-headed cat or crested serpent eagle, not gorillas or giraffes.

6. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I last visited most of these zoos in 2013, so my information will be out-of-date.
    For rare species, my recommendations would include Zoo Negara, maybe KL Bird Park, Aquaria KLCC, KL butterfly and insect kingdom and maybe Melaka's butterfly and reptile sanctuary. I'm not sure if there's anything special at Melaka zoo any more. Further afield, I'd urge you to visit Taiping Zoo (and maybe Penang bird park), even as a day trip from KL. Among the highlights there is a marbled cat. I don't think any of these zoos display flat-headed cat at present, but crested serpent eagle shouldn't be an issue.

Jurek7 likes this.
  7. Chlidonias

It's been a while since I visited any as well (hence me not replying before). I'm pretty sure the KL Bird Park would have various Malaysian species which might be considered unusual from a European zoo perspective. Zoo Negara has a lot of Malaysian mammals but I don't know if any would be unusual, same for Melaka Zoo. (My basic problem is that I don't know what would be standard or rare from a European point of view - I only know that most species in the zoos are "ordinary" for me). I'd recommend the Melaka Butterfly Park as a place to visit in general, but they don't really have any birds or mammals.

Are the Helmeted Hornbills still on display at the Penang Bird Park?

Last edited: 8 Jul 2019
    Jurek7 likes this.
  8. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is a great forum - which I wish I'd discovered earlier. I'm particularly keen to see small carnivores (especially civets, linsangs, etc.) Which of these zoos would be the best to visit with about a week to spend in Malaysia?

9. Chlidonias

Curiously, there often aren't many small carnivores displayed in Malaysian zoos, and where they are the species are usually either very common ones (e.g. palm civets) or exotic (e.g. raccoons).

If you are coming up from Singapore, I'd go first to Melaka for the Melaka Zoo (maybe A'Famosa too? I don't know what's there). You could fit the Butterfly Park, Crocodile Park, and Bird Park all in on the same day (they are all in the same area and none take very long). Then up to Kuala Lumpur for Zoo Negara and KL Bird Park. The two little "petting zoos" in KL (99 Wonderland and Farm in the City) might be interesting too. Then up to Taiping for Taiping Zoo and then across to the Penang Bird Park. There are a couple of places on Langkawi as well but you wouldn't be able to fit those in with a week.

Using buses or trains it's about four hours between Singapore and Melaka, about three hours between Melaka and KL, and about four hours between KL and Taiping.

Jurek7 and Goura like this.
  10. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for that - most useful. I was considering going in December so plenty of time to organise.

11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Recent Asian Zoo Visits

I really need to update it, but the Asian Zoo Visits thread might be of some use.

Jurek7 and Goura like this.
  12. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks a lot, I will try checking galleries and websites and eventually come back. For me, most interesting are native: smaller mammals (small cat, viverrids, weasels, rodents, langurs, eventually bats or pangolins), birds of prey, insect-eating songbirds, fruit and imperial pigeons, near-passerines. Asian zoos often have rescue animals, but these groups are very under-represented outside Asia.