Join our zoo community

Zoos on Paper: An Investigation of Zoo Maps

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Coelacanth18, 12 Jul 2018.

Tags:
  1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here are a couple maps that I hate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These maps do not at all help when navigating these zoos.

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

I was actually just thinking how much I hate the St. Louis Zoo map.

The problem I have with it is that, looking at the silhouettes, it can be difficult to tell what animals are where. Here are a few I prefer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

savetherhino likes this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

What is the second collection?

I think that for the purposes of clarity it is essential that - at the very least - the name of the collection is provided for each map :p

TNT likes this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

It is the Brookfield Zoo, and agreed (although in this particular case the name of the collection is on the map).

5. Coelacanth18

How? The silhouettes are placed directly over the enclosures that those animals are in. Is it that the silhouettes are hard to distinguish, or that not every species and enclosure has one?

I'm not really a fan of Brookfield's map, as to me it is lacking in exact detail. The scaling is also off (not surprising, as Brookfield is 200+ acres as well) and I don't think it's aesthetically pleasing either.

The Milwaukee map is hard to view on my phone, so I'll have to wait till my laptop is booted up to comment.

Mehdi likes this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You're looking at the wrong post :p I was asking about this one:

[​IMG]

7. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

[​IMG]

Woodland Park actually has ny favorite map of any zoo. Pictures and animals labelled, nicely defined zones and clearly defined visitor services all are great. It also shows the size of each of the parking lots, which is great as from experience at the Bronx zoo most people congregate at one lot.

8. Coelacanth18

Ah, my mistake. That is the Racine Zoo.

9. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I like the Woodland Park Zoo map. It's the first time I've seen it, but it looks very clear, paths marked out well, animals are easy to identify and locate.

For me, a map is useful both on the day (for finding animals, routes, food etc), but also for later on after a visit, to be able to look at the map again and remember the visit. A good map makes reminising and remembering so much better and more fruitful. I'm usually quite sad when a zoo doesn't provide a paper map on entry, so long as they have good maps on boards around the site.

I also like to look at previous maps, to see how a zoo has changed over the years. Many times I have poured over the book 'By Underground to the Zoo', which has a few historic London Zoo maps alongside historic London Underground posters for the Zoo.

Wisp O' Mist and amur leopard like this.
  10. Crowthorne

upload_2018-7-12_15-37-11.png

Zoo Map - Colchester Zoo

This is the map for Colchester Zoo, a zoo notorious for it's winding paths, dead-ends and turn-backs. It does have (most) paths marked, but not all the animals are marked, especially in the top-right area, where the enclosures are smaller. On my visit we used this map extensively to try and find our way round, but we still ended up on dead-ends and missed a couple of sections. It might help is the map was broken down into areas, at present it is a very large area of green with nothing to distinguish areas of the zoo. Colchester is quite large too, so breaking it down into manageable 'chunks' on the map might help with finding things.

pendraig_milnerae likes this.
  11. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Any tips on a route when visiting Colchester? When I visit for the first time in the summer, I don't want to end up walking around and around and exhausting myself.

12. Crowthorne

Without derailing the thread too much, as someone who got lost many times on my as-yet only visit, I'm afraid not! All I can say is, keep the map handy and whenever you come to a junction, check the map to see which way is the dead-end, and then follow it before going back to the junction and continuing whatever route you pick. I'm sure it takes many visits before Colchester starts to make any kind of spacial sense :p

BeakerUK likes this.
  13. birdsandbats

Not enough silhouettes. Especially in Red Rocks. You can see a lot of enclosures with no silhouettes to mark them.

14. Coelacanth18

More silhouettes would be nicer; as it stands now, it at least gets the point across that Red Rocks is primarily the zoo's ungulate area.

Here is an example of a zoo (the Seneca Park Zoo in Rochester, New York) that uses neither illustrations nor silhouettes, but instead just has numbers with a key to which animal is at which number. I have mixed feelings about this as well. On the one hand, it is easier to convey more information about specific animals and exhibits this way, and there's no ambiguity as to what something is. On the other hand, perhaps it is more difficult having to match the number to the species, rather than just looking at a picture and knowing what animal is there immediately. Just another method, I suppose. I posted the link but I can't embed it because this version is only available as a PDF file (any way ZooChat v.4 can have a workaround for this?).

https://senecaparkzoo.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/ZooMap_May2018.pdf?x82903

15. Coelacanth18

Here is yet another different design, from another New York zoo: the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse. It's too cartoony for my taste, and I don't know how well-scaled it is. It's also harder to judge how well it simplifies the routes, since the zoo is just a one-path loop (or at least that's what the map conveys).

[​IMG]

16. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's a dropbox for every AZA map: Dropbox - Zoo Maps - Simplify your life

Maps aren't made for people who care which of the couple of species of tapir it is, or what type of hog it is. We are in the vast minority, and people like us tend to know which of those it is before arriving. I didn't say Atlanta's images were great, but you can tell what they are.

Coelacanth18 and CGSwans like this.
  17. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

18. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited: 14 Jul 2018
  19. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the Toronto Zoo's current map compared to its mid-2000's one. Let's take a look at the former, shall we? [​IMG]
    Sure, it does show the job of showing where is where, and the colours are nice, but individual exhibits aren't highlighted.

Now, look at the latter map: not only do you get a clear idea of where each individual is thanks to the shaded areas (sometimes - look at the then-elephant and hippo exhibit), not to mention you get an idea of the topography of the zoo's site

[​IMG]

(On a side note, I still don't know why they had a generic bear graphic for the red pandas)

20. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is the National zoos current map.
    [​IMG]
    I think the map is awesome, mostly because it uses two of my favorite colors, green and purple (orange ain't bad either).