Join our zoo community

Zoo's + Promotion for Eco-friendly Businesses and Strategies

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by JM88, 22 May 2017.

1. JM88

JM88 Member

Hello, I thought it would be a great idea to start a thread about how zoo's could promote conservation through their merchandise, research/volunteering work, and social activities.

One idea I had was that zoos should start to promote businesses by selling their products and teaching their visitors that we are all consumers and that we have the choice on how we can rehabilitate all environments. These could be fair trade, palm oil free, charcoal free, plastic free, vegan, biodegradable, recyclable, etc. Maybe they could set up contests where people promote these ideas on social media and whoever reaches out to the most people could win a day shadowing a group of keepers and feeding the animals. Now with social media, the possibilities are endless.

Here are some companies in which I think Zoo's would benefit greatly from by improving their reputation, and efforts to save habitat loss and pollution.

Ecosia – the search engine that plants trees!
    This website is a search engine that records how many times you use the search bar. Once that gets recorded, money is generated from advertisements and goes directly into a fund for planting endemic trees in Madagascar, Tanzania, Indonesia, Peru, and Burkina-Faso.

tentree | women's & men's clothing | tentree - official online shop
    Like Ecosia, this company is all about tree planting. They sell stylish clothes, handbags, and certain accessories. When one buys an item, that money funds the company and plants ten trees in either Madagascar, Nepal, Senegal, Ethiopia, India, Malawi, Kenya, Haiti, Canada, Cambodia, and the U.S.

These are just two examples, but my fingers cant type all of them. Companies such as ParleyxAddidas, Patagonia, Method, Outerknown, and Plastic Bank, I think would be great to promote in zoos too. Plus, zoo's would probably receive funding for advertising which to me seems a win win. So what are your thoughts? What companies or strategies do you think Zoo's could use to improve their reputation for conservation?