Join our zoo community

Zoos that are the only one to hold a species.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Fresco3, 11 Jul 2017.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They certainly are!

Dolphin Plunge® | Aquatica Orlando

In recent years, they'd been off exhibit at SeaWorld San Diego; perhaps that's where you got confused.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At the moment I think it is.

Water Dragon likes this.
  3. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Please correct me if I'm wrong but is Cincinnati the only zoo with an aardwolf?

4. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No.Some zoo in europe,including berlin and hamerton,have them.

natel12 likes this.
  5. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Black Wallaroo, Nabarlek and Rock Ringtail Possum in Territory Wildlife Park should be the only ones in captivity. Saw all of them yestarday☺

6. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dibbler at Perth Zoo

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Given the fact that the last "Nabarlek" in a public collection turned out to be a Short-eared Rock Wallaby, I feel the need to ask whether you are sure of the identification?

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Territory has had a nabarlek since 2015. The animal at Perth was obtained in 2013 and that was the one which was a misidentified short-eared rock wallaby. Currently, Perth and Territory are the only two collections holding short-eared rock wallaby (one animal at each) and Territory is the only one holding nabarlek (one animal).

9. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do any places other than the Georgia aquarium have beluga whales? I'm pretty sure there are, though I have no idea where

10. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

See this thread for beluga in us, in europe there is some in russia,ukraine,valencia(just check zootierliste),as well as four holders in japan and some in china.

natel12 likes this.
  11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Appart from the Europe and Asia ones, there are more belugas in North America than the Georgia ones: I've seen them in SeaWorld San Diego.

12. GerbenElzinga

GerbenElzinga Well-Known Member

I've seen them in SeaWorld Orlando too and appearently SW San Antonio houses them as well.

13. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@TeaLovingDave
    I was confirmed by a zookeeper both species are being held separately and look a bit different. Norbit is the name for the only Nabarlek in captivity☺

14. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And to fill in to that, Marineland in Canada has 51 beluga whales and more on the way.

GerbenElzinga likes this.
  15. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago has them

16. temp

temp Well-Known Member

The first to really succeed was Okinawa and based on what I've been told it is not really that hard to keep: Plenty of space and feeding and you're well on the way. Initial problems (at Okinawa, too) were primarily related to these two. Several of the places keeping it today match these requirements, but unfortunately there are also a few keeping it in tanks that are highly insufficient.

Some info here but it is not up-to-date anymore:
    Whale Shark Rhincodon typus Smith, 1828) in Captivity

By my count, the species is currently kept 9 places (1xUSA, 4xJapan, 4xChina). The species has never been kept at any of Tokyo's aquariums.

Speaking of Okinawa: A high percentage of the species kept in their deep water section are only kept there, but these are all medium to small species. Most major aquariums in Japan have some medium or small species that aren't kept elsewhere. And while we're at aquariums: I visited Blue Planet again recently when flying out of CPH and based on my count they have some 30 fish species that, as far as I know, are not kept at any other public aquarium/zoo (whitespotted bullhead shark; the remaining are freshwater, incl. a few undescribed species -- I'll provide a list if someone wants it). Some of these are present in very low numbers among private aquarists, however. Each of the major aquarium around the world, especially those with large freshwater sections, often have a few species not kept at other public aquarium/zoo.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2017
    vogelcommando likes this.
  17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Would really be intresting because 30 species not kept at other public places is quite a number !

18. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Welt der Gifte is currently the only facility in Europe showcasing Crotalus ornatus, at least according to ZTL.

Hipporex and TheEthiopianWolf03 like this.
  19. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

Fort Worth Zoo has pecos pupfish and spot tailed earless lizards, two native species that are being bred there. Several other zoos likely are the only holders of native species in a similar manor.

20. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Species marked with a star I suspect, but am not certain. Total is 38 if including species with stars, 26 if excluding species with stars. There are a handful of other species (a few Synodontis catfish, a few Malawi cichlids, an African dwarf cichlid, an elephantfish and a Brycon) that also might be unique as I have never seen them elsewhere or heard of public aquariums with them, but for various reasons I am less certain about those and have chosen not to list them below. As I said in my previous comment, a few of the freshwater are present in very low numbers among private aquarists.

Saltwater: Whitespotted bullhead shark (Heterodontus ramalheira).

Freshwater:
    -Catfish: Auchenoglanis biscutatus*, Bagrus meridionalis*, Brachyplatystoma capapretum*, Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii*, Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus, Hypostomus latifrons, Hypostomus luteomaculatus, Hypostomus margaritifer*, Hypostomus sp. "Iguazu", Microsynodontis sp. "Nigeria"*, Neosilurus ater*, Otocinclus mimulus, Platynematichthys notatus*, Platysilurus mucosus, Pterosturisoma microps, Rhinelepis strigosa, Spatuloricaria caquetae, Spatuloricaria sp. "Rio Nanay", Tenellus trimaculatus.
    -Characiforms: Characidium phoxocephalum, Chrysobrycon yoliae, Hyphessobrycon saizi*, Pseudanos winterbottomi.
    -Cypriniforms: Enteromius pellegrini, Labeobarbus acuticeps, Labeobarbus leleupanus, Sewellia monolobata*.
    -Cichlids: Apistogramma sp "Rio Abacaxis"*, Chaetobranchus flavescens, Cichlasoma sp. "Rio Curaray", Crenicichla [cf.] lugubris "redface" (I think Tocantins?; should not be confused with the Crenicichla [cf.] lugubris Atabapo in the adjacent aquarium; note that the type locality of lugubris is Rio Negro), Lethrinops altus, Krobia xinguensis, Serranochromis robustus, Taeniolethrinops praeorbitalis.
    -Neotropical knifefish: Orthosternarchus tamandua.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2017
    vogelcommando likes this.