Join our zoo community

Zoos with animal species from all continents

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Norwegian moose, 17 Oct 2013.

1. Norwegian moose

Norwegian moose Well-Known Member

Is it one zoo in the world that have animal species from all the seven continents ? I dont think so, because very few zoos have animals from the seventh continent Antarctica. The only animal species in zoos that I can think of that come from Antarctica is the emperor penguin. And only Sea World in San Diego and a place in Japan have emperor penguins. Off course there are some penguin species like the king penguin that live on subantarctic islands, but not on the continent it self. So is it a zoo in the world that have animals from all seven continents ? The closest one would be the Berlin Zoo if you count their subantarctic king penguins. Also both Berlin and London Zoo have kept Emperor penguins in the past.

Plenty off zoos have animals from six continents in the world. Some I can think off is Berlin Zoo/and Tierpark, San Diego Zoo, and Bronx Zoo, which other zoos have animals from six continents ? Is it a zoo in the world (or have it ever been) with animals from all the worlds continents, and animals from all the worlds oaceans ? Keep the facts coming !

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Firstly, the Emperor penguin is not the only penguin species which sets foot on the continental icesheet of Antarctica - the Gentoo and Adelie regularly do so, and the King and Macaroni have been known to do so.

Secondly, the subantarctic islands are still part of the Antarctic continental sheet - as such any species found on them are valid for consideration. Your assertion that only the main landmass counts as a continent is much like saying that the British Isles are not part of the continent of Eurasia :p

These two points make your question somewhat superfluous, as it is based on two faulty assumptions. As a result, there are many zoos with animal species from all continents - Edinburgh Zoo, for instance.

3. Norwegian moose

Okay Emperor penguin is not the only penguin species on the antarctic continent. But the emperor penguin is the only one of the penguin species (along with another species I think it was Adelie) that live on the antarctic continent all year round.

Secondly, I dont count the subantarctic islands as being part of the antarctic continent. They are islands outside of antarctica, and some of them even belong to South America (like the Falkland Islands).

I think that if you include the subantarctic islands into the question, there are still not many zoos with animal species from all seven continents. The only ones I can think of are Berlin Zoo, Edinburgh Zoo and Loro Parque, are there any more ?

4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not quite South America, last I heard they were still British!* :p

*I know what you mean, geographically they are part of South America but as it stands they are under British rule and quite happy about it! :p

5. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Antwerp, Rotterdam, Taronga (leopard seal), Wuppertal, Odense, Madrid, Valencia, Basil, Zurich to name a few.

6. TeaLovingDave

Do you count Tasmania as being part of the Australian continent? :p Being as it is an island outside of the main continental body and all....

More to the point, one of the subantarctic islands which is on the Antarctic continental plate - Bouvet Island - belongs to your own beloved Norway; are you claiming that any penguins living there can be counted as European penguins for the purposes of your question? :D

7. Norwegian moose

Okay you win, the subantarctic islands are part of the antarctic continent. But you are so picky on small geographical things, that you forgot my point. The point is; are there any and if so which zoos that have animals from all seven continents in the world ? Also which zoos have animals from six continents in the world ? That is the point, geographical nitpicking is not.

Yes I know Tasmania is part of Australia, and Bouvet Island is part of Norway, but that is only politicaly not geographicaly. Can I call you a Scotsman, or an Englishman for that matter, or are you offenced by that as I would not use the term as it is not the name of a nationality.

But dont let this thread boil down to just geography, I wanted an answer to my question, not geographical nitpicking.

8. TeaLovingDave

I used those examples because you were initially claiming the subantarctic islands were not part of Antarctica because some of them politically belong to nations belonging to other continents. So I believe I have made my point quite effectively.

Your point was not forgotten - as I already stated, when you recognise the sub-antarctic islands belong continentally to Antarctica, and thus their fauna are Antarctic, a lot of zoos have animals from all seven continents. This is contrary to your initial statement that

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Central Park Zoo has species from all seven continents. The Cincinnati Zoo also has species from all seven recognized continents. You know, most zoos do carry species from all the continents except Antarctica so once you think ones with Antarctic penguins or another species (like Taronga's Leopard Seal), you're usually all set.

~Thylo:cool:

Neil chace likes this.
  10. cloudedleopard611

cloudedleopard611 Well-Known Member

Saint Louis Zoo has at least one representative from each continent. Granted, Antarctica only has a couple penguin species to its name there but its something.

11. turkeyfox

turkeyfox Well-Known Member

Almost any major zoo in North America with Antarctic penguins would fit this criteria. My local zoo definitely does (Milwaukee County Zoo).

12. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As long as there's a species from Europe in it's collection (I'm sure there is, even though I can't think of one at the moment) Cincinnati Zoo does.

13. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Arctic Fox!

I know, I know…I had to be that guy.

;-)

yeah…looking through their online list there are several.

14. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The real question is, how many zoos actually have a dedicated section for each continent? While species like gray wolves, brown bears, or arctic foxes are found one more than one continent, they are only found in one dedicated area. Is there any zoo that has a specific section dedicated to each continent?

Pleistohorse likes this.
  15. CleZooMan

Cool. I figured there was at least one, but couldn't think of any off the top of my head

Pleistohorse likes this.
  16. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A lot of people are having good conversation about Antarctica, but I don't think there is a single exhibit in the entirety of the AZA focused exclusively upon a European habitat and extremely few animals from that continent. I'd love to be wrong.

Pleistohorse likes this.
  17. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Laughs in Russia's Grizzly Coast

18. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's funny because I explicitly thought of that one as a possible aversion; but when looking it up the other day I was given the impression it contained mostly North American animals as analogues for European counterparts? I guess we could have a fruitful discussion about what constitutes an 'exclusive focus'.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. CleZooMan

Ya, plus isn't Russia's Grizzly Coast focused on Asian Russia?

20. cloudedleopard611

cloudedleopard611 Well-Known Member

I've actually been working on a project where I'm making pie graphs of different zoo's continent representation. So far I've finished the St. Louis Zoo, and I'm working on the San Diego Zoo. One of the things I've been noticing is how both zoos have very little European animal representation.