Join our zoo community

Zoos with both African and Asian elephants

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Norwegian moose, 20 Jun 2014.

1. Mikezoo12

Mikezoo12 Well-Known Member

Doesn't Barcelona zoo have both?

2. CarrettJay

CarrettJay Member

Paignton had an African and an Asian at one point but only the African remains.

3. Orycteropus

Orycteropus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nyíregyházi Állatpark (Sóstó Zoo) in Hungary has both species in separated enclosure.

4. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

In the 1970z both species were kept at Howletts. A very ugly concrete yard, complete with barn and fenced in with steel girders, held the Asiatic group (including "Bindu" who killed a keeper at Port Lympne in 1984, and went onto be the breeding bull at Cologne). This links into where the African group is held today; mercifully they now have about ten acres of sand and grass paddocks.

At the time of my first visit in 1974, the African group was then held at the back of the mansion, between that and the woodland walk. From memory, this area was smaller and even more aesthetically challenged. I'm not sure how much of it still remains.

After Port Lympne was acquired the Asiatic herd went there, and as stated above, the African group was moved to their vacated quarters. Both specie were acquired by John Aspinall in 1968/69, and I think were initially kept together. Might that early contact have been enough for the transmission of the herpes virus that was to blight the Asiatic herd in the future?