Join our zoo community

Zoos with no Lions or Tigers

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Gforrestersmith, 11 Nov 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

Lions and Tigers are Both together Very Common Animals in Zoos around the world, So here's the Question: are there any Zoos, Wildlife Parks, or Conservation Centers with No Lions or Tigers?

I don't care where it is, It can be in North America, Europe, or Anywhere Else in the World. It can be any Place, like a Zoo, a Wildlife Park, a Conservation Center, it can even be an Aquarium and/or Avairy; All of which have Neither Lions or Tigers.

So Again Here's the Question: Are there any Zoos, Wildlife Parks, or Conservation Centers with No Lions or Tigers?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Yes there are many Zoos, Wildlife Parks, or Conservation Centers with No Lions or Tigers

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Gforrestersmith: you ask a lot of questions about what zoos have X random collection of animals or don't have X animals. These questions could go on into infinity. Are there reasons that you want to know these things? If you included your reasons for wanting to know the answers to these questions it would make them much more interesting.

The question of why a zoo would not have lions or tigers could actually be quite interesting, as they are universally popular and beloved animals that most zoos do feature. Some zoos like the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum have a regional theme that don't allow for them. Maybe some zoos are too small - although even small zoos seem to have one of the big cat species. Other reasons?

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

@ Gforrestersmith is there any point to all these random combinations of animals that you want to know if a zoo keeps are doesn't keep,at first I found the questions mildly funny now they are just starting to get on my nerves,as you never seem to put any reason for asking the questions,so as a result the question just becomes pointless!

5. Chlidonias

to make it a more interesting question, are there any aquariums or aviaries that do have lions or tigers? ;)

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Loro Parque can be looked at as basically a bird park/aquarium with some token terrestrial mammals - including tigers and jaguars (and gorillas). Might count? :p

7. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

twycross zoo in the uk has neither

8. Chlidonias

but it has had both of them in the past....does that count?

9. DavidBrown

Yes. The Houston Downtown Aquarium has a truly wretched indoor tiger exhibit. I think that the Denver Aquarium has Sumatran tigers, or at least used to when it first opened.

geomorph took this picture and wrote an excellent review of the mediocre aquarium:

http://www.zoochat.com/22/review-downtown-aquarium-houston-145342/

[​IMG]

10. Chlidonias

see I find that vastly more interesting than whether a standard zoo doesn't have them! What would compel an aquarium management team to think "you know what we need -- tigers!"

11. DavidBrown

Agreed. For the Denver Aquarium I think it actually maybe makes some sense based on what I read. They are showcasing the Sumatran rain forest and reef system if I understand correctly. I don't have first hand knowledge.

I have visited the Houston Aquarium during a conference social gathering . The tigers have no thematic relevance and are in a horrible enclosure. It's just sad. The aquarium primarily exists to attract people to the attached restaurant so it seems like the tigers were part of a "let's throw in everything but the kitchen sink" approach. The aquarium also features a laughable knock-off of Universal Studios "Jaws" ride and a ferris wheel, so keeping tigers in a concrete box is about what you would expect from them in terms of quality (or lack thereof).

12. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Of course, there are tons of zoos that don't keep any of those. Smaller zoos without the necessary space (that aim to be modern of course - if you don't mind the animal getting nothing but a small cage to live in, you can probably keep even elephants in a tiny zoo) and zoos which a specific theme in their collection of which lions and tigers don't match.
    Other than that, I see Twycross Zoo has neither, but otherwise I don't know any major zoo with an all-round no-specific collection with no tigers and lions in it.

13. Weasle

Weasle Member

There is a zoo in Pretoria, South Africa called Besters birds and zoo.
    They have an impressive selection of birds, often species seen no-where else at least in South Africa. They don't have Lions and tigers but they do have a Puma, the only one I have ever seen.

14. Scott90

Scott90 Member

Adirondack Animal Land one of the zoos I regularly visit currently does not Lions or Tigers infact they currently no carnivores. But I believe this is an good thing because they don't necessary space. Heres why from flickr when Adirondack Animal land did have an Tiger.[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/underbaggyclothes/1119197887/"]lazy little tiger | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

15. Hevden

Hevden Well-Known Member

Blackbrook has none :D

16. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

True enough - because historically it was a Bird Park - and decided to branch out and include Lemurs and Meerkats in the recent past.

When I was there a year or so a go they had a power cut that made all of the electric fences fail - bloody good job they don't have Lions etc I'd say :D