Join our zoo community

Zoos with outrageous parking fees

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 22 Aug 2021.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was just looking at the Smithsonian National Zoo, which has free admission but the most expensive parking fee I have seen. Since every zoo and aquarium and museum in my state of Arizona has free parking, this was quite a shock. I think all zoos should have free parking. My goal here is not to list EVERY zoo that has paid parking, but only those that are unusually expensive. For the sake of definition, I will say those that are at least ten dollars or ten euros (or equivalent in other currency).

zoomaniac and snowleopard like this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Smithsonian National Zoo (USA): $30
    San Diego Safari Park (USA): $15
    San Francisco Zoo (USA): $11 weekday, $13 weekend/holiday
    Oakland Zoo (USA): $10
    Florida Aquarium (USA): $10
    Georgia Aquarium (USA): $12 prepaid, $17 at gate

Pootle and snowleopard like this.
  3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

This is something that I hadn't considered when travelling around some mainland European zoos three years ago. Some of the prices then were equivalent to what you quote above.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Prague zoo has the most expensive parking fee among Czech zoos and while it charges "only" $9,20 (at current enchange rate), you must consider that average purchasing power of locals is approximately 3,5x weaker than of an US American. It thus hurts our pockets in equivalent of over $30.

nczoofan and Arizona Docent like this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Saint Louis, another free to enter zoo, has an entrance fee of $15 per vehicle. Milwaukee is not free to enter and has the same fee. Other than those I think every zoo I've been to has free parking.

6. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd say Lincoln Park Zoo fits in here, the website says $35

Arizona Docent and Moebelle like this.
  7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Funny enough, I've been to all three of these zoos and had no idea the parking fees were that high for any of them :p I've never driven to Smithsonian or Lincoln Park, as both zoos are a manageable distance away from a metro stop (~0.4 miles for the former, ~0.8 miles for the latter) which I generally use to get around DC and Chicago anyway; they have bus stops even closer than that. As for Saint Louis, I've never parked in one of the zoo parking lots myself; the surrounding Forest Park has free street parking and I've never had to go even 0.25 miles away for a spot.

I disagree, especially for zoos in dense urban areas accessible by public transit. Charging suburban visitors (the bulk of driving zoo visitors) for parking in order to subsidize the cost of admission or (in the case of Saint Louis and Lincoln Park) make up for no admission fees is a pretty good trade IMO. Additionally, construction and maintenance of parking areas costs money and it makes sense to charge the people who use them rather than simply tacking on those expenses to admission tickets or other charges.

I understand the frustration more with a zoo like Columbus, which charges $10 for parking when they have an enormous parking lot, public transit options are far more limited (if present), and there doesn't appear to be any street parking within walking distance. However, even then it's possible that if you carpool with others it may be more cost-effective for visitors than tacking on more to each admission ticket.

8. birdsandbats

I didn't even know the zoo had parking lots.

9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

It has a narrow parking area stretching along the entire east side of the zoo. It may be a lot for the entire park as well.

It actually says the fee varies between $20-$35 per day; it's at the higher end this weekend because of an air show.

birdsandbats and csartie like this.
  10. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Both have nearby street parking, however, and I'm not sure about Lincoln Park but I know parking in Forest Park at St. Louis is free.

birdsandbats likes this.
  11. birdsandbats

There's free parking throughout much of Lincoln Park and the surrounding area.

CMP likes this.
  12. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I'd like to add Shedd Aquarium and Cincinnati Zoo to this list, both have parking fees that can reach $20 and the museum campus where Shedd is has Valet parking for $26. I don't think either has convenient free parking nearby.

13. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

$30 dollars parking? and free entry..OK, lol. Why exactly a parking fee? is your vehicle protected from all crime?

14. birdsandbats

No, it just means you get to park in one of their parking lots.
    Shedd Aquarium can get expensive. I'm used to getting there on public transport, so I didn't really think about the parking fees, but yeah, that on top of the admission prices adds up quickly.

15. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Keep in mind where Smithsonian is, though. It costs them a ton to keep those parking lots from being turned into other things, there are no other lots anywhere nearby. You can still take the metro or try to find parking on the street further away. It's expensive but I see it as wrapped into an entrance fee, basically.

Bronx is $17, on top of a $40 entrance fee. Their lot is much larger than Smithsonian's couple of lots.

NY Aquarium has an entrance fee of $27/$30, with parking being $18 for up to 3 hours, $25 for 3-4, and $40 for 4+ hours.

Philly Zoo parking is $17, with a $24 ticket. It's the reason I keep my membership there, since it includes free parking.

Dallas, DWA, and Columbus are all $10.

16. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lincoln Park Zoo has a $35 lot and free street parking. The caveat being the street parking is first come first serve and much too small for the entire zoo patronage to use. However, if you are willing to wait half an hour you can get a spot for free there.

17. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Monterey Bay Aquarium is another, parking I think was $10 (on top of the $50 entrance fee, equivalent to San Diego Zoo) but it was for all day parking. You could easily tie in a visit with shopping and dining along the waterfront at Cannery Row if you wished.

(Though really, $50 is a bit steep given you can see the place in about 3 hours tops, with there being relatively few large animals.)

18. Arizona Docent

As I recall, Monterey Bay Aquarium does not have its own parking lot. You have to park in one of the city lots. (You still have to pay as you say).

19. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Parking fees cannot be high enough for all zoos and aquariums that are easily accessible by public transport. The zoos could make the largest part of these revenues available for conservation projects. An unattended parking lot causes only minimal maintenance costs.

HungarianBison and MRJ like this.
  20. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes this is true, but it still adds into the cost of visiting. It's still a pay for parking situation.