Join our zoo community

Zoos with Polar Bears, Maned Wolves, Meerkats, and Red Pandas

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Gforrestersmith, 5 Nov 2011.

1. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

This Forum is on Four Animals- Polar Bears (Ursus Maritimus), Maned Wolves (Chrysocyon Brachyurus), Meerkats (Suricata Suricatta), and Red Pandas (Ailurus Felguns). These are Four are of my Most Favorite Animals in the World, There in a Group of Animals I call "The Favorite Four".

There are Three Questions on This:

1. Are There any Zoos with all Four Animals?
    2. Are These any Zoos with none of the Four Animals?
    3. Do you like all Four Animals like I do?

Please Feel Free to Answer these Questions.

2. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

San Diego. ;)

3. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

^and berlin. Tho, whole heartedly, I have no idea if they exhibit maned wolves, red panda or meerkat, but with the worlds largest animal collection, surely they're in there somewhere?;)

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I do not see why seeing all 4 of these species in one zoo is so important,as I far prefer having to visit different zoo's to see my favorite species,in fact I don't think any zoo has all of my favorite species in it atleast not any of the just over 300 collections that I have visited so far!

5. Cat-Man

^zoogiraffe, we may have had our differences in the past on various issues, but here I very much agree with you!, there is that sence of excitment of having to travel a little to see your favourite species. On the subject of a zoo not having them, I believe that howletts wild animal park do not exhibit any species on your list.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Actually you are wrong Howlets do keep one of my favorite species,will let you work it out for yourself but its not hoofstock or a reptile!

7. Cat-Man

I was actually referring to the list at the start of this thread :p, but you've got me thinking now, here's assuming it's a carnivore / primate?

8. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

1. Prague Zoo too
    2. Surely there are some...
    3. I don't do the Most/Top/Best lists ;)

I actually thought the thread would be about how those animlas are so common in zoos :)

9. Cat-Man

^ I think you'll find polar bears + mained wolves, animals that used to be very/fairly common respectivly, are now virtually non-existant in UK zoo's

10. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The red panda keeper told me they will be bringing in a male and with luck we will have red panda cubs. There is a chance that the polar bear, Chinook, is pregnant. The maned wolves are both girls so no pups for them but the meerkats frequently have babies.

11. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Toronto Zoo has Polar Bears, Meerkats and Red Pandas. Sadly no Maned Wolves :( But they do have another canid redhead, dhole! I am a fan of all these species.

12. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Birmingham (AL) had all four in the 90s. Don't know where they went. (Still have Meerkats and Red Panda)

13. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I personally would rather see a zoo without Meerkats. Buck the trend!

14. Cat-Man

^once again, howletts fits that category! There was, believe it or not, a time when only 2 UK zoo's housed meerkats! With the lion king, and the compare the market adverts-_-(you familiar?), they're now a staple of every zoo.

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Except Edinburgh

16. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, seeing that maned wolves are probably the least popular of the four species, I'd say that you should first find out if a zoo keeps maned wolves. If yes, and it seems big and not too specialized, it probably keeps the other three species too.

Also in Denmark. I still remember the time where Aalborg Zoo was practically the only zoo in the country which kept them. Most of the few large zoos in the country still don't have them, but almost all small zoos seem to be getting them.

It's even worse with ring-tailed lemurs though. The large zoos also all have those, and more and more of the small zoos get them, this year they're being Munkholm Zoo and Odsherred Zoo. I actually think Blåvand Zoo and Randers Tropical Zoo are the only actual zoos in Denmark with no ring-tailed lemurs (by actual zoos, I don't count farm zoos which are not allowed to keep most exotic mammals, terraria and aquaria).
    I remember when I was younger and had not really visited any zoos outside of Denmark, I was willing to cut off my right arm just to see some other lemur species than ring-tailed. When I finally saw some other, I sadly hadn't brought a cutting tool.

17. WILL

WILL New Member

Three parks have these four species in France:

-Amnéville zoo
    -Peaugres safari park
    -La Flèche zoo

18. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And, believe it or not, there was a time before that when there were no meerkats in the UK. I remember seeing the only ones in Europe for the first time, and getting rather excited about them!

Also, I believe South Lakes in the UK has plans to exhibit all four species together in one large mixed exhibit.;)

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where and when was this Pygathrix?

20. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Frankfurt 1978. They had been featured on Anthony Smith's series "Great Zoos of the World" a year or so before, complete with heat lamp which became a standard fixture in all other zoos which later kept them, although they seem to have gone out of fashion now.