Join our zoo community

Zoos with three Rhino Species

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Bib Fortuna, 30 Jan 2016.

1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

As far as I know, Forth Woth has stopped keeping White Rhinos in 2008, is that correct ? So after Berlin Zoos has also stopped keeping this species, Dvur Kralove stopped keeping Indian Rhinos and Cincinnati has send away the last Sumatran Rhino in 2015 to Way Kambas, only a few Institutions holding Black,White and Indian Rhinos left, none in europe:

San Diego Zoo Safaripark
    White Oak Conservation Center
    Western Plains Zoo Dubbo

All three are breeding.Unfortunaley there was no Indian Rhino calf in 2015 at San Diego,so that place of this three missed to breed all three rhino species in 2015.

Are there more Zoos or breeding facilites with currently three rhino species ?

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't know if it has been confirmed, but the Chimelong safari park in China has recently imported an Indian rhino to add to it's black & whites.

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the Indian rhino is for the new Chimelong Park

4. Deer Forest

Deer Forest Well-Known Member

Yes, the Indian rhino is in the new Chimelong Park that will open next year, but the new zoo also keeps white rhinos, and they could also transfer some black rhinos from the old zoo.

5. Bib Fortuna

What about Beijing Zoo, I know they had Black,White and a single Indian Rhinos, but I'm not sure, if the last white rhino is still alive, and if they are still black Rhinos at the Zoo.

6. Deer Forest

Deer Forest Well-Known Member

Sorry the last black rhino died in late 1990s, now Beijing Zoo had white and Indian.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought it was several Indian rhino imported for the new Chimelong park?

8. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have heard rumours that West Midlands Safari Park (UK) is looking to add blacks to its collection, bringing their total to three species.

9. Bib Fortuna

That would be nice and it is possible-new holders are needed. It would be the first"Three Rhino Species"zoo in Europe since Dvur Kralove has stopped keeping Indians in 2009 and the third in Britain after London (what was even a"Five Rhino Forms Zoo) and Whipsnade.

By the way-in which year Whipsnade has stopped keeping Blacks, in 2005 or 2006 ? Zootierliste is wrong in that case, they say it was in 1988, but Whipsnade got a new Pair in 1993 and became again a Three Rhino Species Zoo for a couple of years, and bred all three.Unfortunately not all three of them in one year as San Diego WAP did several times.

10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Surely it would be the fourth in Britain as there was a time when Chester had three rhinoceros species too

Whipsnade stopped keeping black rhinos in 2005

Last edited: 8 Feb 2016
  11. Bib Fortuna

Thank you Tim. Your're right-I forgot Chester. And by the way-London has kept 7 Forms of Rhino-but not at the same of course-Indian,Black, White,Javan, both subspecies of White an dboth subspeciesof Sumatran-Rhino.

Currently, only San Diedo WAP, Western Plains Zoo Dubbo and the White Oak Conservation Center keep and breed Indian,Black and White Rhinos.

12. Kifaru Bwana

It would be better advised if they succeed in starting to get their white and GOHR rhinos to breed first. They have not been so lucky lately ....

Ofcourse, I would love to have a new holder for black rhinos, I just think their set up is less suited to maintaining the black rhino.

13. Bib Fortuna

So they didn't breed White Rhinos yet ?

By the way- does anybody know which of the Indian Rhinos has attacked the car last year ?

During my resarch, I found 17 Zoos and Conservation facilities what have kept or still keep three rhino species at the same time.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do not know, but it seems to have proved that this species is not suitable for keeping in drive-through reserves with cars. I was very surprised when I saw a photo on here of a WMSP Indian Rhino's head in the same frame with a car... Has this ever been attempted with Indian Rhino anywhere else?

15. Paradoxurus

The Safari park has bred several whites in the past. I believe there may be a current pregnancy.

The current accommodation for the Indians is very good indeed and I very much doubt it is through the lack of skills or willingness of the staff or adequacy of facilities that the rhinos have not bred so far.

GOHRs reach sexual maturity at 10yrs (males) and 5-7yrs(females). The WMSP male is just over 8yrs while the two female are just over 4 and 6 1/2yrs respectively. C'mon... give them a chance...

As far as I know there is no "set up" for black rhinos and I don't think it is appropriate to comment speculatively on any such future development.

16. Paradoxurus

I was surprised when I learned that these were introduced to a drive-through exhibit. I do not know of it being done elsewhere (SDWAP perhaps??).

I don't think this one incident is enough evidence to suggest that GOHRs are any less suitable for this kind of exhibit than whites yet. There have been dozens of incidents with whites over the years.

17. Kifaru Bwana

I am well aware with the entire situation with rhinos at WMSP. It is exactly for that reason that I volunteered my personal observations on here.

To be exact: WSMP last bred their white rhinos with a different male in 2005 and 2006. Their breeding even then was irregular and they disbanded - in my humble view - the then breeding group much too early. Since then, they have relied on a very young male and several very much mature and older females (some of which wild-caught and having not reproduced till this day). I would expect that without transfer of some of these non-breeding wild-caught females into established breeding groups and setting up of an entirely new group around the now maturing resident male chances might be better at getting the rhinos to re-breed.

With GOHR they held a far too young male with an adult female and consequently no breeding was likely to occur. That situation was recently rectified for the GOHR and a more suitably aged female is now in residence along with a second much younger one. This bodes well for the next few years.

As you say ... the black rhinos is speculative. I guess it remains for now unrealistic (given the above).

Aside: given the subject matter I do not feel that this discussions fits in with the thread as only 2 rhino species are and have been for a long time kept at WSMP.

Back to zoos with 3 rhino species then ..., ay!

18. Pertinax

There's a simple answer to that. The original pairing was very unsuitable in so much as the male was only aged 2 when the female was 4,so he wouldn't be mature or large enough to copulate for several years. The age structure they have now is much more suitable with the male being older and larger. Indian rhinos breed freely in captivity and I would expect West Midlands to achieve success with them in the forseeable future.

19. Paradoxurus

Barnold in 2005. 2006?

Agreed. I don't think WMSP or the studbook keepers were completely ignorant of the situation and I very much doubt that they expected a successful mating. SB transfer recommendations are based on all sorts of criteria, not just the likelihood of a pair breeding. I don't see that this is at all relevant to whether WMSP should or shouldn't get blacks.

If the black rhino studbook requires more holders and WMSP are viewed as competent rhino managers (and there's no reason why they shouldn't be) then there is no reason at all why they shouldn't aspire to holding the species.

Agreed. But I do think my initial contribution to the thread was relevant and I don't think I am responsible for the tangent is has shot off on.

Agreed. That's what I was alluding to when I then said "GOHRs reach sexual maturity at 10yrs (males) and 5-7yrs(females). The WMSP male is just over 8yrs while the two female are just over 4 and 6 1/2yrs respectively. C'mon... give them a chance..."

Yes please!

20. Pertinax

Agree. Quite likely WMSP wanted to exhibit the species with whatever animals were available and were supplied with animals needing to move(I remember one of them- the 2 year old male?- was from Whipsnade) irrespective of their future potential as a breeding pair together. Rather irrelevant now as its been rectified anyway and longterm has not affected breeding potential-but worth noting.

I see no reason why they could not have Black Rhino too- but another 'car-less' exhibit would be necessary.