Join our zoo community

Zoos without Accreditation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Shirokuma, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Following on from another thread, which major and/or well-regarded zoos do not have accreditation?

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What do you mean by accreditation? If, re the UK, you mean having a Zoo Licence than I think the list will be very short (i.e. near nil). The only "zoos" that occasionally don't have a licence are expanding "glorified farm parks" who "don't know the rules".

3. pinkback

pinkback Well-Known Member

It depends what you mean by accredited. Most UK zoos and certainly all the major ones are not accredited for there EAZA membership. The accreditation and inspection process was not required when they first joined. Only more recent members have been accredited, which is now a condition of membership. The first EAZA accredited zoo in the UK was the Shaldon Wildlife Trust back in the 90s.

However most UK zoos are accredited members of BIAZA.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

In North America there are around 220 AZA accredited facilities, meaning that the Association of Zoos and Aquariums rigorously inspects each establishment at least once every 5 years. Only about 10% of all wildlife facilities are AZA accredited, and in my opinion even some of those have more than their fair share of dodgy animal exhibits. Some folks think that there are some great little zoos that are not AZA accredited, but I'd be shocked if they could name 5 that are even half-decent. For whatever it is worth, AZA accreditation in North America is a huge deal and institutions without it are for the most part substandard "homegrown" zoos, research facilities, etc.

5. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

I don't think Monkey Jungle in Miami, Florida is accredited, is it?
    Generally AZA zoos are better-ran than non AZA zoos but there can be exceptions.

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I mean EAZA members, AZA accredited etc. Are any prominent zoos outside these structures?

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

8. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

An interesting place is Reptile Gardens in Rapid City, SD. It is not AZA accredited, but is half decent. They have Komodo dragons, aldabra and galapagos tortoises, and a fifteen foot long saltwater crocodile. THe grounds are beautiful, and the education elepment is very well done.

Wild Animal Park | South Dakota Attraction | Reptile Gardens

9. Pygoscelis22

Pygoscelis22 New Member

I currently work for a non-AZA accredited facility. Even though we do not have accreditation, we hold ourselves to the highest standards of animal care and welfare. We are a fairly new facility and will probably apply for accreditation after we complete the new facility.

10. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

And the name of this facility? :)

11. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Probably the only one in Sandy, UT - the Living Planet Aquarium.

12. Crocfan

Crocfan Member

I can think of several right of the top of my head, mostly reptile related facilities- its my primary interest:

Gatorland, Living Planet, Reptile Gardens, Clyde Peelings place, Crocodile Encounter, numerous drive through parks some of which are really excellent. Some of these may be ZAA.

The AZA cert is expensive and some might add simply not needed. It can cost upwards of $10000 for the cert which is simply absurd.

On the flip side a private zoo is to a large degree only as good as the standards of the owner. Some likely exceed what AZA requires others may not.

13. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are at least two good zoos in California that are not AZA accredited, both focus on non-releasable native wildlife and rescued animals. The Orange County Zoo has some excellent exhibits for mountain lions, black bears, and the only beaver exhibit in California (Orange County California - OC Parks). The Folsom City Zoo similarly has excellent mountain lion and bear exhibits for animals that were either injured or "problem animals" that would have otherwise been destroyed. They also have wolves and many other native species, along with some rescue tigers and monkeys (Folsom Website - Zoo Sanctuary).

From the photos in the gallery it looks like the California Living Museum in Bakersfield is a pretty high-quality non-AZA facility, but I have not been there.

14. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In Europe Dvur Kralove for obvious reasons is the most notable one.

15. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

Well, they got out from EAZA, but they are still WAZA member, aren´t they?

16. Porosus

Porosus New Member

I know Clyde Peelings place is aza. I am a former keeper that worked at Gatorland. When I was there I know that the keepers wanted aza, however, since it was a family owned business they did not want to 1. go non-profit 2. incur the fee's associated with membership. I know there's probably more to that, but that was the reasoning given to us. It's still a great facility, even though they're not accredited.

17. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

18. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

So what was the reason for losing the membership then?

19. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

20. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member