Join our zoo community

Zoos without Accreditation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Shirokuma, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The premiere zoo body in the North America is the Association of Zoos And Aquariums or AZA.
    Association of Zoos and Aquariums

An alternative group formed several years ago is the Zoological Association of America or ZAA.
    Welcome to ZAA.org

An even newer alternative group (which I just learned about) is the United States Zoological Association or USZA.
    USZA | Official Site

As far as I can tell, the top tier zoos are in the AZA and the second tier are in the ZAA and the third tier (only about a dozen so far) are in the USZA. Snowleopard is correct, no question the AZA zoos are the best of the bunch. However, knowing just a little bit about the politics of the AZA (from what I hear as a volunteer at an AZA zoo and from a couple of acquaintances at non AZA zoos) I can fully understand why some zoo directors flatly refuse to join AZA.

2. Crocfan

Crocfan Member

I think Arizona docent is mostly correct. At least about how the zoo bodies are perceived. In zoo reality I feel many unaccredited zoo facilities are far better actual animal facilities that many AZA. As an example many AZA zoos keep various hoofstock but can't really rival the massive natural drive in parks in the country. AZA has excellent standards and do a nice job but to me use allot of concrete and smaller environments.

Seeing animals in big natural environments is awefully hard to replicate in most city zoos.

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

USZA appears to be a joke. They have on their site recommendations for keeping solenodons and giant armadillos.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

"a joke" seems a good assessment. In their site's Conservation part they have a link for white tigers (embarrassingly enough for me, to a New Zealand site)