Join our zoo community

Zoos without zoo licences?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stubeanz, 9 Dec 2014.

1. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I have recently had a good read of the zoo licensing act and was surprised that there is a dispensation section for small zoos. Here is actually what the act says....

" (1)If the local authority with power to grant a licence for a zoo inform the Secretary of State that in their opinion a direction should be made under this subsection because of the small size of the zoo or the small number of the kinds of animal kept there, he may, after consulting such persons on the list as he thinks fit, direct—

(a)that this Act shall not apply to that zoo; or "

So are there actually any small zoos in the UK that don't have a zoo license due to the fact they are too small or have too few animals ?

2. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very vague about size of zoo and number of animals. Wondering whether this ruling covers the pet shops that keep exotics and dwa reptiles 'for sale' or charge a small entrance fee. Interesting observation.

3. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Filey Bird Garden and Animal Park has now been open for seven seasons without having been required to obtain a zoo licence, although it did have to dispose of its Rheas to comply with the dispensation (it had other reasons for their departure as well). In the last couple of years it has added Barn Owls, and African Grey Parrots and a Senegal Parrot to its collection so it is moving on from smaller "garden aviary" for want of a better term (not keen on it though) birds. The collection does plan to obtain a licence in the fullness of time so that it can develop further.

4. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

Pet shops have a pet shop license that covers them to keep anything they want.

5. stubeanz

This is what I suspected, mostly domestic with a few exotics in the mix. I always find it unusual when some farms have wallabies or peafowl and yet don't need a zoo licence.

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

True, but some seem to walk a fine line by displaying exotic/dwa species that are horrendously overpriced (and thus not really for sale) in order to attract custom. Much like a zoo.

7. stubeanz

I was thinking about this again today and guess that places like St. James's park in London probably do not have one. yet it still allows them to keep pelicans etc

8. mrcriss

Yeah, but that's their prerogative isn't it? The pet shop license covers the same stuff as a zoo license anyway. It was only a couple of decades ago that a certain well known northern shop was the kind of place where you could legally buy a lion cub if you were discreet enough about it!

9. mrcriss

As far as I know (although I'm willing to be corrected), pelicans aren't on the DWA list, nor is the park charging an entrance fee to see them....so it wouldn't require a zoo license anyway. Plus I bet the Queen can't be arsed filling in the paperwork anyway :)

10. stubeanz

Pelicans would certainly be covered by a zoo license, they don't have to be DWA animals as DWAL has nothing to do with zoo licensing. The act states that a zoo license is needed if an establishment which holds 'wild animals' is open to the public with or without charge for 7 or more days in a year.
    :D