Join our zoo community

Zoos You Could Have Gone to, But Didn't

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CMP, 27 May 2021.

Tags:
  1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Have you ever been on a road trip or vacation where you passed by a zoo? You probably couldn't stop at every zoo on your trip, but there might be one or two that you could have gone to, but the weather, fellow travelers, or time restraints restricted you from going. What zoos could you have gone to, and wanted to go to, but were not able to?

2. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Here is my irritating list:

Was at the front gate :mad:
    Louisville zoo

Was staying in the city
    Busch gardens Tampa
    Detroit zoo
    Toronto zoo
    Zoo Atlanta

Could have stopped by on a trip
    Nashville zoo
    Riverbanks zoo
    Kansas city zoo
    Topeka zoo
    John ball zoo

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Sphenisciologist

Sphenisciologist Well-Known Member

Columbus Zoo, Lincoln Parks Zoo and Cleveland Metropark's Zoo are the only ones I can think of.

CMP likes this.
  4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I stayed a night in Emmen, but didn't visit Emmen Zoo
    I also didn't visit Nuremburg Zoo

CMP likes this.
  5. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

London Zoo
    Berlin Zoo

CMP likes this.
  6. Someokapinextdoor

Someokapinextdoor Well-Known Member

Biggest one is probably Loroparque in Puerto de la Cruz. That was in 2018, a year before my love for zoos resurfaced. I was staying in Puerto during my trip around the island but deemed the zoo too expensive to be worth a visit. And there were almost no ungulates on the map.

Only later I realized on how many unique parrot species I missed out on. So the regret is only in hindsight. It's highly improbable that I'll be back within the next five years. Oh well...

CMP likes this.
  7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I was in Arizona recently I strongly considered visiting Phoenix, Reid Park, and Wildlife World, but opted to not visit any. I did visit ASDM but accidentally missed Life on the Rocks.

CMP likes this.
  8. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

Paris Zoo, Paris Aquarium and Palma Aquarium. I don’t know how much I missed, as I haven’t heard any mention of either on ZooChat, but I did walk right past the Palma Aquarium. Frustratingly I had to catch a flight.

CMP likes this.
  9. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I tried to visit the night safari in Singapore, I got as far as the ticket kiosk but they refused to sell me a ticket as the rain was terrestrial. The lady in the kiosk said I wouldn't see anything, I told her I was happy to take the chance but she just refused to take my money.

CMP likes this.
  10. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Quite a few aquariums in Tokyo. I only had time to go to one, and settled on Tokyo Sea Life Park. Breifly considered visiting Sunshine Aquarium, but there was no way I could pass up on seeing Bluefin Tuna. Plus the pictures of Sunshine's enclosures I had seen here (I was a lurker on Zoochat long before I signed up) looked pretty lackluster.

Could have gone to Platypus House when I visited Seahorse World, as they're literally right next to each other, but I figured it wasn't worth it since I had already seen Platypus and Echidna (the only animals they have afaik) in the wild.

Had the opportunity to go to the Hobart Zoo, but passed in favour of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, I had heard they had a great Antarctic exhibit (which was amazing)

Stood literally right in front of the London Aquarium, as much as I desperately wanted to go I didn't have time.

Last edited: 28 May 2021
    CMP likes this.
  11. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Skipped Bristol in 2017. Oops.

12. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Barcelona Zoo actually back in 2019 when I went to the city with school for a week.
    On the last day we got a day where we could fill in ourselves where we wanted to go and what to do and such. Unfortunately that entire week had been very physically exhausting resulting in my feet absolutely killing me. I was maybe a short kilometer away from it when I turned around and opted to go for the Aquarium instead. Which in hindsight I do not regret. Seeing sandtiger sharks was a big deal for me, absolutely one of my favourite shark species, neither was seeing seadragons!
    Unfortunately that did come at a cost of missing some cool gazelles at the zoo.
    But in the end I fear I would've possibly collapsed halfway through the zoo or be so physically drained it could result in possible complications.

13. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Probably because they aren't called Paris Zoo or Paris Aquarium... ;)

By Paris Zoo I assume you mean Zoo de Vincennes, which is to your point fairly little-known on Zoochat. The Paris aquariums (Porte Doree and Cineaqua, not sure which one you are talking about but I assume Cineaqua) have also passed under the radar a bit over here, even though Porte Doree in particular has a fabulous collection of rarities. You can however comfort yourself by the thought that neither of them are amazing, though Vincennes does have some nice exhibits and species.

Strix likes this.
  14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps you could have got in if the rain were extra-terrestrial and you'd have been able to phone home.

15. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ahh yes, spell check has been trying to make sense of my spelling again.

Dassie rat likes this.
  16. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cairns Tropical Zoo, Cairns, Australia
    Didn't visit because I was still a student who already spent too much money on a trip to Australia and I already planned on visiting a few other zoos.

Dehiwala Zoo, Colomo, Sri Lanka.
    Only had 12 days to visit this country so felt like a zoo wasn't my priority.

Bali Zoo & Bali Safaripark, Bali, Indonesia
    Only visited the Bali Bird Park as it seemed like the only one worth the time and money. I feel like I didn't miss much by skipping the other two.

Pata Zoo, Bangkok, Thailand.
    I don't need to explain why I skipped this one...

Last edited: 28 May 2021
    CMP and amur leopard like this.
  17. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

Los Angeles Zoo: I was about to take a flight to California and had a choice to go to Los Angeles or San Diego. I chose San Diego.

Saint Louis Zoo: I passed through this city, but didn’t have enough time to stay long.

Sedgwick County Zoo & Lincoln Children’s Zoo: I could have gone here for my birthday, but I chose to go to Omaha instead.

Memphis Zoo & Columbus Zoo and Aquarium: Potentially could’ve visited here on a road trip, but I chose Cincinnati Zoo over both of these.

CMP likes this.
  18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Funny enough I once had an opportunity to visit Jersey zoo.

However it was under circumstances which would have massively detracted from me enjoying the trip and would have sort of tarnished the whole memory for me.

For that reason I passed on the opportunity because it is quite a symbolic place for me and I want to enjoy my first visit there.

I'll visit it at some point in the future hopefully.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2021
    CMP likes this.
  19. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Rather frustratingly I'll add on another one to the Was at the front gate :mad: category, as the reservations had filled out before the group I was traveling with finalized their plans. We were in the Newport Levi area so decided to check if by chance there were any openings, of course they weren't. At least I got to see the Cincinnati zoo on the same trip, so it was alright I guess.

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Lol ! Hilarious ! :D :p