Join our zoo community

Zoos you feel need a revamp.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Luke da Zoo nerd, 2 Dec 2019.

1. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

it is a massive reworking of every exhibit but the Rainforests of the Americas, LAIR, and elephants of Asia. Here is a link to the website LA Zoo Vision Plan EIR

Luke da Zoo nerd likes this.
  2. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Phillip Island Wildlife Park needs a desperate revamp. Firstly the place, with the exception of Tasmanian Devils does not have species of an IUCN rating of Endangered or Critically Endangered meaning they do barely any conservation. Secondly their enclosures with the exception of a couple are appalling particularly their Owls and bird of prey enclosures which are way too small and have no enrichment at all. A large amount of the land is wasted on pointless kilometre walkthroughs with kangaroos. Free roaming wallabies is not a good idea, I commonly see Wallabies in other exhibits pestering animals such as Echidnas and turtles. Their flying fox enclosure is appalling l, about 50 just crammed into a single room with nothing in it. Their sugar glider enclosure is so hidden that I didn’t know it existed til the SEVENTH time I visited the park, it was also absent and there was a cat on top of the roof of the building. I’m pretty sure their sugar glider would have been eaten.

It’s also impossible to tell what birds are wild and what are captive, some of their birds are pinioned (which is completely unethical and disgusting) but the enclosures are so bad that they still escape.

Speaking of hidden enclosures I found a decrepit enclosure with no signage and had Nankeen Night Herons and cormorants in it. Did I mention it was a good 300 metres off the track?

The red kangaroo walkthrough is distastrous it is literally just a field of grass but the bad part is the mobs of aggressive emus which swarm around anyone that has kangaroo food which is included on entry.

Their safety for the visitors is also not important to them, I could easily climb into the cassowary enclosure (it’s like 1.5 metres tall) and you can feed the cassowarys through the mesh, let that sink in, you can feed CASSOWARYS.

With the exception of turquoise parrot and Black Striped Wallaby as well as the birds of prey and owls which are suffering in those poor enclosures their collection is vast but poor.

Signage is outdated to the point where animals that were in the exhibit passed away over five years ago and sometimes completely wrong, it lists the Spotted Pythons range map as all of Australia, what kind of idiot makes that large of a mistake.

What id do to change it?, I honestly don’t know, it’s so bad it needs to be revamped from the ground up.

3. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

Interesting.

4. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

Capron Park Zoo is another one that I feel needs one.

Their otter exhibit is still pretty good (a new one is still possible), but many of their other exhibits have not aged well.

5. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

I do agree that Capron Park Zoo need's a redo

like for instance, fill in the lemur islands. I feel like you can get away with putting a lot more exhibits there. or maybe making it like a crocodile/hippo area.

6. dinosauria

dinosauria Well-Known Member

The Beijing Zoo looks...old. If I remember right some of the areas (pachyderm house) looked pretty tacky when I visited and it's fairy worn down in general. A lot of the exhibits need an update too.

7. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Tennoji Zoo in Osaka is an example. Half the zoo has been renovated, so the African savannah and reptile house sections are quite nice, but the other half is outdated. There are single specimens of monkeys in tiny cages, including the only drill in Japan, the big cats and wolves are in small enclosures, and the bears are in grottos. There is also a spacious elephant exhibit, although elephants have been phased out, so theoretically some animals could be moved there for more space and enrichment.

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bruemmer Park, as long as they do it in a way that utilizes the natural cliff going through the middle of the zoo.

9. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

Or maybe even make new exhibits for the Lions, Leopards, and Sloth Bears (the current ones are definitely not up to modern standards).

10. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

As others have said, the Historic Hill and Red Rocks sections of the Saint Louis Zoo need to be redone. Here’s hoping their 2016 Master Plan calling for the establishment of the Silk Road, Acacia Grasslands, and Legends of the Forest zones in place of those older exhibits actually happens. The historic buildings themselves (herpetarium, primatarium, aviary) are beautiful and should be kept, but they need remodeling and expansion to allow more exhibit space. With Primate Canopy Trails happening next year, here’s hoping the Herpetarium is next — either that or they start work on converting the south parking lot into the African safari area.

11. birdsandbats

I disagree, the primate house is the only part of the zoo that needs to be redone.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  12. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I personally find historic hill an enjoyable section, but not as good as rivers edge of course.

13. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

red rocks isn’t the worst exhibit in the zoo, but still needs a revamp since the exhibits are still fairly outdated, but don’t get rid of the great collection of ungulates that they have in red rocks. Same for the herpitarium & primate house.

14. birdsandbats

The exhibits in Red Rocks are fine, if simple. But often (especially for hoofstock) simple is all that is needed.

15. Dhole dude

Como zoo definitely needs some sort of expansion. The site they are on is very small and there collection is fairly boring. They recently phased out a third of there fish collection, which leaves even less species now. They really need something special instead of only ABC animals. The only rare animal I can think of that they have are the Dallas sheep.

16. CheeseChameleon1945

I did not really appreciate the lack of a species list in the aquarium, but I was able to identify most of the species. But I agree that the aquarium section is lackluster, and I dont recall enjoying myself in that packed little building. They do have some blue-eyed black lemurs, and those arent really so ABC. And the death of their polar bear is very controversial, and I honestly wish most of their collection of animals would go to the Minnesota zoo. Even though Como's polar bear is gone, I do really think that the Minnesota zoo could do well with polar bears, as they certainly have space for it.

17. birdsandbats

Blue-eyed Black Lemur and a few rare bird species. The birds are basically impossible to find, though.

18. CheeseChameleon1945

I personally like the saffron finches, very nice to spot them out in the branches.

19. Dhole dude

Forgot about the lemurs, I’ve only ever been able to spot the saffron finches, and once the blue-gray tanager, but most of the other birds stay hidden. Does anyone know any more species of birds in tropical encounters
    the aquatics building will go under a renovation next year, that will remove 60% of the exhibits, and replace them with a new seal/sea lion exhibit. There looks like a small side exhibit that could be occupied by the puffins, but knowing como, it’s probably gonna be a land portion to the seal/sea lion exhibit. How was the death of there polar bear controversial? I do think that a lot of comos animals would do good at Minnesota, but Minnesota has always been special in that it barely has any ABC animals, and mainly focuses on colder climate animals, so giraffes, zebras, lions, gorillas, & ostriches wouldn’t do good there in my opinion (but all of those besides the gorillas have been displayed there in the past) though orangutans would do great there.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2020
  20. CheeseChameleon1945

Their were rumors that it may have died early due to its health there. It spent a lot of time in that enrichment cage, and many people never saw it swimming, or ever really enjoying itself. This is all loosely based, but I just think the polar bears death added to the zoos reputation.