Join our zoo community

Zooscene

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Writhedhornbill, 3 Jan 2008.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I'm sure most of you are aware of my site (www.zooscene.co.uk). Like Toddy, I need some help, but not with reviews. My site is more focusing on specific exhibits at zoos, or species in Captivity (i.e the realm of the red Ape at Chester, or tarictic hornbills in Captivity) That sort of thing.

If you have any articles that you could submit, I'd be very appreciative. Toddy has already sent me a fantastic article on Asian Crocodilians in zoos which should be going up on the site later today.

If you can help me out at all please sent me a message via an email ([email protected]) or a private message here on the forum.

Thanks and have a happy new year,

Jonathan

2. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Jonathan, did you create the entire site, because it is amazing! I can't write anything now as I am distracted with the move but I can whip something up for you later on about Adelaide Zoo.

Is there a template you used, or are you a whizz with photoshop and HTML?

3. Writhedhornbill

I used iWeb, as we have a mac computer and I have a mac laptop.

Jo any articles about exhibits at Adelaide zoo would be appreciated.

4. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Wow, I am tempted to defect to macs!! Is there any particular exhibit you'd like that you don't yet have represented? We have Immersion, our South East Asia showcase, probably the best we have to date, or would you like something from the farm, Monarto, the open range sister zoo? We have hyenas and a large number of wild dogs there. Otherwise I'll put on my thinking cap about what people might like to learn more about.

5. Writhedhornbill

Any exhibit you want. You could do an article on the status of certain species on zoos? You're a primatologist, so why not do something on certain primate species in zoos across the world? Capuchins? Anything really. I only know about Marmosets and Tamarins in zoos really.

6. Writhedhornbill

I've now updated zooscene, with information of lots of exciting animals. There is a clip of a wreathed hornbill at Kuala Lumpur bird park, and Toddy has written an excellent article on Asian crocs in zoos.

Check it out!!

7. Writhedhornbill

Just noticed an error on the site. Under the pictures of the BoPs at Walsrode, there should be a caption, but I has been covered up accidently by the pictures. Sorry Pedro and Toddy, you can't see your names very clearly!!

8. Writhedhornbill

I'm updating the site again, and I'd like to repeat the question above. If writing an article, could you include the following:

Information about the species (or group of species)
    The captive population at the moment
    The breeding success in zoos
    Other zoos that have kept the species, that don't currently
    Information about exhibits in which the species is kept, and if there are any particularly unusual exhibits for the species, please mention these.
    And a picture (can be more than one..)

Thanks in Advance

9. Steven D'Amato

Steven D'Amato New Member

Hi Jonathan, It has been years since I've looked into ZooChat or your website. I'd been busy with many things such as moving, problems with a parent with Alzheimers, and responsibility with artwork for my local National Audubon Society chapter. So I never did get a chance to get around to start the painting back then of what was considered the Luzon subspecies of of the Rufous Hornbill - Buceros hydrocorax hydrocorax. Now that I seem to have the time, I checked Google to see if there were any new digital images. To my surprise, many (most) articles (but not all), have separated the Rufous Hornbill into two species, the Northern Hornbill - Buceros hydrocorax (from Luzon and surrounding islands) and the Southern Rufous Hornbill, with two subspecies: the Mindanoa subspecies - Buceros mindanensis mindanensis, and the Samar subspecies, Buceros mindanensis semigaleatus. From what you know, what seems to be the more accepted view of this by the zoological community, single or split? Thanks.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm afraid that @Writhedhornbill has not been active on Zoochat for many years now, so he is highly unlikely to see your message - however, to answer your question this split is generally regarded to be a pretty solidly-founded one :)