Join our zoo community

Zootierliste

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by adrian1963, 13 Oct 2014.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

On the map view the species are listed alphabetically by German name, even in the English version (I hardly ever look at this unless I'm using radius search).

If you just enter the zoo name into the search box on the main site the list comes up alphabetically by English name.

2. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Many thanks Maguari that makes life a bit easier.

3. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed they are today, but yesterday they were under current listing. At least my comment provoked some response and correction, and for that I'm pleased.

4. dublinlion

Not on my computer it dos'nt.
    Londons list starts as pasted below, but at least this list is alphabetical to a degree.

Acigöl killifish*
    African gray-headed gull
    African pygmy goose
    African dwarf goat (Cameroon dwarf goat)
    Niger tetra (Redeye tetra)
    African knifefish
    African wild dog (No Subspecific status)
    Egyptian tortoise
    Lac Alaotra bamboo lemur (Alaotran Gentle Lemur)*
    Alpaca
    Old World comb duck
    Chapultepec splitfin
    Butterfly goodeid (Butterfly splitfin)
    Violet-backed starling (Amethyst starling)
    Annam leaf turtle
    Broadbarred firefish
    Mountain chicken (Giant ditch frog)
    Arapaima

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Fair do's. It is a user-edited database, so will always depend on a user who knows taking a look and either editing or bringing it to an editor's attention.

As I said above, that's the list alphabetically by German name as it appears if you are looking at the map view. If you just put 'London (Zoo)' into the search bar you should get the same list alphabetically by English name (albeit with a few rather fanciful names in places!). You can also just search for (e.g.) 'London' if you don't know what Zootierliste calls the collection, but you'll then get all London collections, not just the zoo. With places whose name doesn't match the town they are in (Cotswold/Burford,for instance) either name should work. :)

6. dublinlion

Thanks Maguari, for your helpful (as always) comments, that makes it much clearer.

Zootierlist is a great facility and I would be loathe to criticise it in any way. My comments (constructive, I hope) are based on my own obsession with accuracy.
    Actually when I visit zoos more time is spent counting the specimens, than enjoying the show lol.

7. dublinlion

As I already pointed out whoever (wonder who?) changed the Dublin listings, only did so after my initial comment.
    But indeed my post was inaccurate in part, as a pygmy hippo (infant weighing about 30 lbs, was held and survived for a few weeks offshow) by DZ. Interestingly,140 years ago it was not even regarded as a different species.

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Pretty sure the listing for pygmy hippo at least was already correct, as I do not recall ever seeing said taxon listed as a current holding for Dublin - and of course if someone had changed the listings to fit your comment they would have deleted the pygmy hippo listing altogether :p

9. dublinlion

Surprise.. Hesitate before reply, don't drop to this level lol.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2014
  10. TeaLovingDave

Incidentally, it is pretty easy to register as an editor on Zootierliste so feel free to do so - the best way to keep listings accurate is for as many people to be editing those collections with which they are familiar as possible.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2014
  11. TeaLovingDave

Edited the past few messages as you requested, dublinlion :) but retained my recommendation that you consider registering on ZTL.

12. dublinlion

Fair enough Dave, I'll try to follow up on that recommendation.

13. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

14. TeaLovingDave

Bristol Zoo is one of the more frustrating ones; I have done my best to keep it up to date and accurate, but one or more editors keep adding taxa that in some cases have never been held by the collection - or sometimes deleting listings on the basis that they have never seen the species themselves so presume it has left!

15. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Zootierliste is listing Whipsnade as holding both Barren ground musk ox (Canadian muskox) and Greenland musk ox (White-face musk ox) as being in the collection based on this thread: http://www.zoochat.com/216/musk-ox-1984-a-50736/ Whipsnade doesn't have any musk ox species at all now does it? Or have I just been missing them? :rolleyes:

16. TeaLovingDave

Yeah, someone obviously tried to add them as former holdings but a) added them to the wrong section and b) didn't notice they were already listed as such.

Reverted it now.

17. Crowthorne

Thanks TLD :)

18. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

Is the wmsp list correct?

Also do you mind if i ask what is the editing process on the site?

Last edited: 4 Aug 2015
  19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Might be the odd fish species wrong but its certainly correct for the Mammals and Reptiles that I saw a couple of months ago when I visited,although some of the species of mammals are held off-show on the sssi site within the grounds!

As for the editing process its called site users,hence why I walked away from editing it,as some idiots keep changing things just because a species isn't listed on a website!Or they do not have the knowledge of where an animal came from and its history and believe it to be what the place claims it to be like the former holding for West Mids for West African Leopard which it most certainly wasn't as I know where the animal came from and it is most certainly a Heinz 57 Leopard and not a West African!!!!!!

20. Crowthorne

Can anyone please add Lesser Hegdehog Tenrec to the current holdings for London Zoo please? :)

Did try registering there but seem to have forgotten my password already :eek: