Join our zoo community

Zootierliste

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by adrian1963, 13 Oct 2014.

1. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why are the Asian lions still listed for Whipsnade?

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Because no-one has deleted them yet?!

3. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The accent marks don't seem to be working

4. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

I have visited 9 collections so far this year and have taken lists of ALL species on show or labelled and have found many more mistakes than you would think with either species NOT at collection (I did ask keepers if they still had the species at the collection) or new species not on the lists.

One keeper said they did try and keep the list for there own collection up to date but other people kept removing names from the list.

I would now say what is the point of having a UK list unless the web site owners make it so a very few people can add or remove (from peoples requests) from the lists.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well that will happen with any collection you visit and that includes Chester,as i know that is wrong on ztl.

Again that doesn't surprise me because a few people in the UK seem to think because its not listed on the website or in a guidebook the species has gone,for example the Mouflon at West Midlands Safari Park,which are actually off-show but if you are lucky you can sometimes see them if they are in the right spot!

Its funny this is a far greater problem for UK collections than the rest of Europe,which I think says alot about the standard of editing in the UK!!!!

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It's often the same people as those who don't bother checking signposting and labels, and who end up asking for very obvious identifications.....

A pity, really.

7. pipaluk

Following my visits to Cotswold WP & Crocodiles of the World today, I now realise just how out of date ZTL is!
    Species that maybe offshow are not marked as such & there are several species that are onshow but not even listed!

8. Adrian k

Maybe we could open a thread on UK Collections and what we see or know what they have in the collections and keep it with the thread for public transport.

9. TeaLovingDave

Any suggested additions or edits would be more than welcome; I have a feeling I may be the only UK editor who isn't having log-in problems at the present time!

10. Adrian k

Many thanks will be passing on some info shortly how would you like us to let you know, on this thread or by private message?

11. TeaLovingDave

Either will do :)

12. pipaluk

I'll start with crocodiles of the world

Seen not listed:
    Asian small clawed otter
    Laughing Kookaburra
    Bengal eagle owl
    Cotton topped tamarin
    Plumed basilisk
    Asian Water monitor no ssp
    Red footed tortoise? Can't remember if on ZTL
    Listed but not onshow or gone
    All snakes apart from reticulated python
    Fly river turtle
    Sand monitor
    Tomistoma
    Slender snouted crocodile

13. TeaLovingDave

I personally added a lot of the missing species myself last year - so some prize idiot has removed them at some point, presumably because they assumed the collection couldn't possibly have them...... :rolleyes: I'll get them added again.

As for the stuff which you note is listed but not on-display - the Sand Monitor has indeed passed away, the two crocodilian taxa are off-display, but I am not sure about the status of the other taxa.

14. pipaluk

Ok, thanks. As for CWP, a regular visitor needs to update you, but there are loads of errors!

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I take it from that you missed seeing the Common Peafowl that have arrived and the domestic chickens that have arrived as well?

As for the snakes that aren't Retics they are all off-show and looking good,as is the Fly River Turtle!As for the Sand Monitor as tld said it passed away a few year ago and is stuffed in the education room!!

The 2 Crocodile species you mention have never been on-show,but are being held off-show building in the case of the Tomistoma until the extension to the large Croc House is finished,and the Slender-snouteds will be sent back to Colchester as soon as the exhibit is ready for them there!!Alos off-show is a second pair of Siamese and some quiet impressive Morelet's!

16. Adrian k

Do they have a list of species at each collection in scientific names or do we still have to click on each species to get the scientific name?

17. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you're searching the collection and going down the species list the scientific names are listed alongside the common names.

18. Adrian k

All I get when I look up a collection is the usual English list and nothing else where am I going wrong please?

19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

You can change the species menus to scientific names by clicking on the little flag icon next to the Current/Former drop-down - it will change to a mortarboard symbol when set to scientific names.

20. Adrian k

nope still English only can't understand why

I am looking through zooindex and lets say Chester zoo all I get is a second page pop up with a map to the left and an English species index to the right