Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo ZooUpdates

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 9 Nov 2006.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I am now recieving Weekly zoo updates so i will keep everyone up to date on whats happeneing at Adelaide, i will give yuo what has happened between the 18 Oct and 1 Nov first

BIRDS

+ Cormorants nesting high up in tall tea tree in the Wet-lands Aviary.
    + Several visible White-headed Pigeon nests in the Rainforest Walk-through aviary.
    + Stilt chicks should be visible in the Botanics Aviary.
    + Curlew chicks in the Botanics aviary.
    + Lots of young Gouldian Finch chicks in the Parrot Block.
    + Crimson Chats in Parrot Block with chicks.
    + The Laughing Kookaburras in the Owl Block have chicks toward the rear left.

REPTILES

+ Female Mata Mata has passed away
    + 3 water dragons now on display in Reptile House

MAMMALS

18th
    + Lemurs went to Monarto, replaced by Colobus who will be on display in old Lemur exhibit
    + Brazilian Tapir Tiquie gone to Taronga
    + White-cheeked Gibbons: Zoo watch continuing to monitor adjustments to escape routes for Remus!
    + Pusung and Karta (Orangs)have now both had a turn on exhibit with Siamangs
    + Golden lion tamarin born last Friday – can be seen riding on family members’ backs.
    + Work in Pygmy marmosets has started – animals to go out hopefully next week.

24th
    + White-Cheeked Gibbon “Remus†is doing well. He seems to be staying on the island as required.
    + The Orangutan/Siamang mixed exhibit is going well. Zoo watch still running.
    + The 3 Ring Tailed Lemurs have moved up to Monarto. “Hoss†managed to injure his arm and is wearing a splint, he has also had his ‘man-boobs’ (fat pads) removed whilst under anaesthetic. These three will be introduced to the 4 young males at Monarto.
    + Black and White Colobus “Mkasu†arrived from Monarto and is residing in the exhibit that the Lemurs have vacated.
    + The giraffes are both doing very well, using the yard more fully.

1st Nov

+ Bongo arrived – awaiting yard finishing before going on display
    + Both giraffes displaying really well now

2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Hey this is great stuff.
    Which are the two giraffes at Adelaide?

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

The 2 giraffes are 2 young girls down from Monarto they are the last giraffe to ever be at Adelaide. Unless we magically find some land, lol.

4. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

hey can you give me info on elephants at adelaide and monarto?

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Adelaide will never have elephant ever again, MOnarto are planning a huge Savannah for African Elephants, I think just under 2000 arces. As far as i knwo there are no plans for Asians

6. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pusung

How's Pusung doing? Has he sired any offspring yet?

We have another juvenile Sumatran male (Pusung's son i believe) here in Singapore. He's about 10 years old and related to all the female Sumatrans we have, so he should be heading off somewhere in a few years time. Since OZ zoos concentrate on Sumatran subspecies, there's a chance he might be heading there in the near future.

7. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

why is it that the two giraffes at adelaide "will be the last ever"? if they wanted to phase them out why did they just bring in two young cows?

and on monarto wanting to keep african elephants, this is exactly the sort of thing that keeps discouraging our region from developing sustainable populations. we have only just developed a regional plan for asians and would benifit from imput from monarto, deciding instead to keep africans. when no other zoo (dubbo included) has any long-term plans to do so, is just counter productive. i don't have a problem with zoos importing non-program species, so long as they meet their oblgations with a similar program animal first.

though i can see why they wanna do it - it would be a massive drawcard for monarto.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2006
  8. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

well monarto has the space, and it is an african zoo, i would love to see african roaming around there, and they have space to make it a mixed species as well, so why not?

9. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Zooish, Pusung has not sired any young (as far as i know) because Karta refuses to raise young and is on contraceptives, we do have plans for a new female though.

Patrick, Adelaide only brang down 2 girls because we can, we have a quite a few at monarto and the exhbit is getting pretty full, these will be last ones as we dont have the space.
    African elephants are planned as a rescue mission from kruger to stop them being culled.
    any more q's

10. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

NEWS ON GORILLAS

This is the latest update on the Gorilla's departure date.
    Basically the movement of the Gorilla's to the Zoos in Europe is held up in Federal Government red tape. Being a critically listed animal, there are an enormous amount of requirements that need to be met to be able to export the Gorillas. All of the paperwork is being handled by Taronga Zoo as we are only the caretakers of them, so we are not aware of all movements in this regard. However, we do know that there have been a lot more requests for information etc.
    The outcome.....at this stage we will definitely have the Gorillas into 2007, most likely departure now looking at early March 2007.
    This is great news, and can be passed on to the public.

11. patrick

i'm not havin a go or anything ben but isn't that sort of a contradiction - they can but they can't?

12. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Ohh yeah i know what you mean but we are kinda weaning people off Giraffes if that makes sense, by bringing in smaller girls we can say, "They will grow and wont fit in this exhbit" but if we left Kobe in there (he was very big) peopel woudl think it was ok to have a big giraffe in a little exhibit

13. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Birds
    + 4 new princess parrots have been released in the Australian Habitat exhibit(between the toilets), making the total 10 now – plenty of colour & noise.
    + There are now 2 Agoutis in the first Pheasantry exhibit.
    + There are no longer any Laughing kookaburra chicks in the Owl block exhibit. (They were removed off-site)
    Reptiles
    + Nothing to report
    Mammals
    + Nothing to report

14. patrick

ahh. that makes sense.

is there no room at all for expansion for giraffes? is their not another ungulate paddock next door?melbourne simply smashed down a wall and intantly doubled the exhibit size. a cyclone roller-gate can re-separate the exhibits if need be, like when there is a newborn giraffe calf.

15. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Nope the giraffe exhbit is next to the bears and the old elephant house no expansion space at all

16. Coquinguy

yeh i have a question! whats the history of the asian elephants at adelaide and monarto??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

17. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Well we have had asian elephants at adelaide from the day it opened to the day monarto opened, They were used for Cart Rides, and had always lived in a tiny exhibit in actual fact it was smaller than the giraffe yard. In 1992 (I beleive) Samourn tha asian elephant at Adelaide Zoo left for Monarto, she was there for a year or two but unfortunaly fell in a ditch and died. her exhbit is now used as Quarantine for Rhino and Bison, as well as anything else that will fit. Next time i am in the EDU Building at Adelaide i will take down all the info

18. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

there was a female elephant at adelaide and she was moved to monarto for retirement, ben can tell ya more

19. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

beat you by one minute Zoo_Boy, HAHA

20. Coquinguy

thanks mate for the info. i saw her once on a documentary years ago...
    im also glad to hear monarto is getting africans in the future, a species which i think monarto and dubbo should focus on.
    taronga, perth, melbourne and auckland plus australia zoo should keep the focus on asians.