Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo ZooUpdates

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 9 Nov 2006.

1. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i think heman and burma should go to a sanctuary, and dubbo convert the large 20 acre savannah into an ele exhibit, and the 2 asian exhibits in to male yards, and the existing african into the same 2 fremales, or if the intergrated into new herd, use it as a male exhibit 2. i have actually used google erth to make my own ele plans for dubbo, havnt i zuki hehe

2. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

i disagree........for now. following the recent import i reckon zpb of nsw should just bide its time and wait a while. heman and burma will probably drop dead soon anyway and cheri, yum yum and cuddles have probably got 15 years at best.
    maybe when the asians go they could explore the possibilty of importing africans, in a rescue mission like monartos.
    but at the same time wpz should keep some room for surplus asians in the future. (bred at taronga)
    also zoo boy i know you live in the midddle of nowhere ;) but if you can get the daily telegraph this week they have posters of the elephants in them-a different one each day!!!

3. Zoo_Boy

dw mate i have everyone lol, and im not in middle on nowhere hehe, i live in bathurst, we still get papers here mate lol, it is a town with 32000 ppl

4. Coquinguy

i know

just joking, i like bathurst ;)

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

16th November!

Birds
    + Emu chicks on display at back of KI Roo yard
    Reptiles
    + Nothing to report
    Mammals
    + Pygmy marmosets on display in Tamarin House (1st glass on left)
    + Family group of Golden Lion Tamarins with baby moved to front of Tamarin house – their exhibit being renovated for Cotton Top Tamarins due to arrive next week
    + Filming of a movie is continuing in bear exhibit throughout the week
    + Bug Barn at Kids Zoo is closed for renovations.
    Maintenance
    + SEA aviary closed for deck repair.
    + Immersion tiger raceway is now completed.
    Horticulture
    + Rocks have gone into Tiger 1 exhibit to create a den
    + One of elm trees in elm plaza will be removed as it got split down the middle during the recent storm.

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

that would give adelaide a pretty good tamarin collection then (of the top of my head that would be...

did one of the black lion tamarins die recently?

7. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Yes i believe so i dont know how many we have now, Havent checked Isis. We now Have Goldens, Blacks, Golden Rumped Blacks, Cotton Tops (when they arrive) and Pygmy Mormosets, not to mentions qute a few Squirrel Monkeys

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Heres the Numbers
    Golden Rumps 2.1.0 (Blacks) (i seperated the 2 before, whole black and golden rumps, they are commonly called Black lion Tamarins),
    Golden Lions 3.4.1 (1 young one born a few weeks ago)
    Pygmy Marmosets 1.1.0

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Wish they had a few more rare sprcies of Tamarins at the zoo, maybe some pieds.

10. patrick

melb has emps, goldens and cotton-tops. be nice if they got some pygmy and common marmosets as well...

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

yep I agree, and of coarse the Pygmys dont take up much room, i have seen the orange handed in Canada they look real cool with a dark body and bright orange hands and feet.

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

The red handed species looks cool with their dark bodies and bright orange feet and hands nice to see a few of them as well.

13. patrick

i think mogo used to have red-handed tamarins?

tamarins and marmosets have great appeal, and being so small it seems pretty silly if individual zoos claim they dont have enough space to hold all six species that are found in the region. fortunately it looks as though we are going to..

that said we are phasing out loris - and they are just as small and simple to house..... :(

14. Zoo_Boy

maybe theres another side, we dnt hear about, maybe zoos dont have access to them? maybe?

15. Coquinguy

perth has gota good selection too! emporers, cotton tops, common marmoset and pygmy marmosets.
    im not sure about mogo anymore, they used to have heaps of different species, as did taronga. the current shrew enclosure used to have golden lions, cotton-tops, pygmy marmosets and emporers, but when amazonia opened the collection on display was reduced to just cototn-tops and emporers.

16. Coquinguy

it comes back to generational thing. these guys are fast breeders so the breeding programs slow down breeding cycle by forcing females to not breed until 6 years of age.
    even so, despite being small and not taking up alot of space to sustain a viable population of 6 species of tamarins would probably recquire hundreds of animals. the best chance for these guys would be for all the zoos to concentrate on just 3 or 4 species...

17. patrick

well at present there doesn't seem to be one particular species earmarked for phase out. (except possibly the black lions). melbourne are the only zoo holding a purebred subspecies of emps - and just recently got the okay to breed them. cotton-tops are in high numbers and are sustanable. common marmosets may also be a viable species since monash university keeps a large colony for research purposes. golden lions are part of an international program, so creating a regionally sustainable population is less of a concern. and pygmies are just recently being brought into the region again so they are definately a priority...

i often wonder why, since they breed so well, most zoos only ever have pairs or a very small family group at best. in the wild tamarins form large family groups, so the issue is not one of a need to separate them? you would think there would be a desire amongst zoos to hold as large a group as possible.

18. Zoo_Boy

mogo

pygmys
    cotton tops
    golden lions

thts it

and they have the best system, a series of connecting aivaries, easy to manage

19. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Maybe the way to go is let some of the smaller zoos hold a number of these species as a back up for the main zoos breeding programs?.

20. Zoo_Boy

i got wind today tht a zoo in hobart is getting tamarins from mog